PDA

View Full Version : Wild Grey Squirrel, Possible Fleas, help needed

ShirleyAnne
02-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Hello there, I am so pleased to have found your site. I work in the City of London and at the back of our office we have a tiny yard adjacent to a church and for the last four months I have been putting out squirrel safe treats for my friend George who has been doing really well and got through the winter no problems - but I noticed today when he came for his 'breakfast' that he has a thin bald stripe all the way down his back and a little patch on his shoulder and he has been scratching like mad. I can't get that close to him but I have a perfect view from above (fire escape!) and it doesn't look scaly so I'm thinking it may just be fleas rather than anything more serious - my question is how the heck do you treat a wild squirrel for fleas? I made a few calls today to various wildlife centres for advice to no avail! Even if I did humanely trap him and fight a vet to help apparently there's a good chance they wouldn't give him back (licensing laws?!) and I dread to think what might happen to him given that some unpleasant people consider them vermin. Is there something I could put in food? Please help, I'm really worried about him. Thanks so much :bowdown

SammysMom
02-16-2011, 04:44 PM
I am sure the experts will reply, but it sounds ore like mange than fleas. I don't think the hair loss would be from fleas. I think since he is wild maybe Ivermectin? The experts who have far more experience should be here soon. Good luck with your pal! :Welcome

astra
02-16-2011, 07:09 PM
sounds like mange to me...
very often they get mange at about this time of the year - their immune system gets weakened after winter and they succumb to all kinds of stuff.
Mange is treatable in the wild, no need to bring him to a vet.

There are different forms of ivermectin (e.g, paste, liquid, tablets etc), see what you can find and experienced people here will help with dosage.

I will also suggest that you repost your question in Non-Life Threatening - that's where all illnesses are posted. This way you will get faster and wider attention.

OS Here in North America, they sell ivermectin dewormer paste for horses at horse supply stores and/or tractor supply stores. It comes in a tube, should be 1.87% ivermectin. If you have similar stores where you are, ask for ivermectin paste for horses. Make sure it is 1.87%.
Then, you can put a dose of the size of an uncooked rice grain.
Sometimes, people suggest squeezing the entire tube and mixing it before dosing. After that, you can store it in a plastic container in the fridge.
But I also know that not everyone mixes it like that.
One of the TSB members - Pierre - can help you with dosing it.

Liquid is mostly obtainable through a vet, so if you don't have a familiar vet, it might be hard to get.
I used tablets and they worked great.

More experienced ppl will help you!

CritterMom
02-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Can you photograph your friend so we can see what this looks like?

djarenspace9
02-16-2011, 07:41 PM
You might want to repost in the Emergency or Non-ER Help sections, because it is monitored for expert assistance (unlike the other areas).

Personally, I feel fleas are ever present with animals.
It's only when there is a nutritional or immune deficiency that they overrun the animal,
so the concern is more of why the fleas are there.
Flea management is typically not possible with wildlife, as it requires regular treatment.

Mange is always possible and easily treated as long as you can give the meds!

Try reposting so the experts can help you, and if possible include a photo.

Good luck!