PDA

View Full Version : Drooling?

Kichigai
11-28-2006, 02:38 PM
I have a 5/6wk old gray squirrel which I raised when it was only 1wk old and never been outside yet. I was an hour late on his feed schedule because I just drove back from school. Right before I was about to feed him I noticed a bubbly drool coming from his mouth. Is this normal or should I worry? Or perhaps he was really hungery? :dono

Critter_Queen
11-28-2006, 02:47 PM
What are you feeding him? How often? How much? What are you keeping him in? Is he active?

More info please...

Kichigai
11-28-2006, 03:44 PM
I'm feeding him 5/6cc of Esbilac milk every 4 hours. I'm currently keeping him inside of a large box with a heating pad on one half of the bottom. He was very very squirmy when he knew there was food around.

He's a lot more calmer now after eating and not drooling anymore. I was worried if it had to do with his chewing sticks which I got recently or the whip cream that was added to his previous feeding. :/

Critter_Queen
11-28-2006, 03:55 PM
You should offer him some solids at this point in his development...that would also help tide him over if you are late on a formula feeding. Try small chunks of peeled apple, peeled grapes, baby carrots, a walnut half, a pecan half...maybe some sugar snap peas and some kale...he probably won't touch it much at first, but keep putting it out every day...lots of veggies, a little fruit and a little nuts.

Maybe he was extra hungry, or maybe he had/has a sliver in his mouth? I don't know. Just keep an eye on him and offer him some solids to try out...he's the perfect age.

Oh, and when you notice that he spends most of his time off the heating pad, go ahead and stop using it...should be any time now.

Hope this helps!

Critter_Queen
11-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Also, have you weighed him? If you are feeding 5-6 cc per feeding he should weigh around 100-120 grams...but maybe he weighs more than that and he's just not getting enough to eat at each feeding? Do you have access to a gram scale? Do you have $30? You can buy one at Wal-Mart in the section with all the utensils and strainers and stuff...a really nice digital one with a dish to put the squirrel in. :thumbsup

squirrelfriend
11-28-2006, 10:34 PM
I have noticed with cats for example that they will drool excessivly when they taste something that tastes really bad. :yuck it is their way of flushing it out of their mouth. was there anything new that he had just prior to that incident?

Is it possible that it has something to do with Pavlov's dogs theory? :dono :D

Mrs. Jack
11-29-2006, 07:06 AM
Every now and then, one of my wild's will choose a nut, change their mind and take another, leaving a spit covered nut in the jar.. I don't know why, but the first time I saw a wet nut, I was surprised that they have drool. I'd never noticed it in my previous experience with bunnies or mousies.