PDA

View Full Version : Good Home Looking for a Little One

ColoradoCritter
02-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Hi,
I'm new here and just came across this board in my search for a new little companion. What a wealth of information! Thanks to everyone.

I was just looking for some leads to find a baby ground squirrel, squirrel or chipmunk.

Thanks for any help,
B

lilidukes
02-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Hi :Welcome to TSB :wave123 . If you want to find out more about these fuzzers find a local rehab group and volunteer to help. Very very few of these little guys make good pets. They are Very expensive to feed and care for. Almost all of us here are very squirrel poor:osnap

djarenspace9
02-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Welcome!
I second what lildukes said.
Most of us came by our critters by chance or situation.
If you can combine your desire for a pet with helping one that is in need, that would be a perfect mix!

You may want to find places that adopt out abandoned or relinquished pets, like Petfinder or local rescue groups.

My one big piece of advice is **do your research** make sure you know what you are getting into and be willing to do all it takes to make your home a FOREVER HOME.

Good luck! :wave123

mugzeezma
02-03-2011, 06:44 PM
THe BIG BIG question is

IS IT LEGAL IN YOUR STATE TO OWN ONE?

This is a HUGE caveat when owning wildlife.
You will need a license or permit to take it to the vet if something should happen. NO VET will risk losing their license for a sick chipmunk or squirrel. Nor should you ask them to.
You must also realize that wild animals will NEVER be pets.
No matter how tame they may appear, wild animals are subject to the ways of wild animals and can become a serious nuisance in a heartbeat.

I don't mean to be the heavy here.

I speak from experience

Lulu2010
02-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Hi! :wave123 And Welcome! I second Lilidukes and Mugzi. I think if you desire so badly to help care for these guys then you should find out if it's legal where you are and contact a local rehabber and see how you can volunteer. I am a foster mom for a local rehabber where I am from....and I am still squirrel poor. I don't get paid to do it or reimbursed for supplies. But, it is an awesome experience to be able to raise these babies and give them another chance at life. Good luck with your research and hope it works out for you and you can get involved with helping orphaned squirrels. :)

Scooterzmom
02-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Welcome to the board. I second what all the others have said here and I cannot emphasize enough how very important it is to be able to get help LEGALLY. You do not want to have to watch your baby go downhill and die, with you there completely helpless - as I was for my sweet Scooter - just because no vet will give you the medicine he needs and there are no legal rehabbers near you to obtain it for you in time. There is nothing more horrible and heart wrenching than having to stand there and at best, get some when it's already too late.

It's an experience I would not wish on anyone.

Are you prepared to live with the destruction? They do need exercize and in doing so, being rodents, being very inquisitive, they will go out and gnaw at purty much anything even if just to explore what it is, and that is EVEN IF supervised - you really can't take your eyes off them. It takes only a second for a good chomp to be put in your precious chest of drawers, or for your delicate vase to tumble crashing on the floor, or for him to take a big bie of a plant that is toxic for him. Your house has to be totally squirrel-proofed. As others also pointed out, they do NEED an awful lot in order to live a happy life indoors... are you willing to spend the time going out to get these things, renewing things like branches, scrounging for flowers and plants from outside etc... rigging things for him to play with and spending 2 hours a day playing with him? Those are but a few of the things that will be necessary to do if you keep a pet one. Is the family willing to accept all that too? What if YOU are not there or sick... can anyone take over for you?

You get a pet wild animal, your life purty much becomes dedicated to that animal. A wild animal is not just a pet that you feed, walk, stroke and give a little playtime to... it is at the very least 2 to 3 hours of care every single day or else your little companion will be miserable and lonely.

Sorry if this sounds drastic, but I just thought I would put a dose of reality on the table for you to consider before you make your decision. I LOVED SCOOTER - Lord knows I did!!! - and I do LOVE HAMI... but the things I described above are my reality here, and with Scooter I came to accept that reality because I fell in love with him, I had no idea what was coming to me. With Hami, I knew what is involved when he was brought to me to rescue and I took him in. I'm just saying it is something you have to go into with your eyes wide open. Be honest with yourself, don't kid yourself or else you will make 2 creatures very unhappy: the little one you'll take in, and yourself.

Helping rehabbers, volunteering with wildlife groups etc is a great solution sometimes, one that would give you a chance to learn what it does involve.

GOOD LUCK and may the Creator guide your decision. :Love_Icon

Tickle's Mom
02-03-2011, 07:51 PM
:Welcome and you just got the best advice in the above posts. I'm sure there are more to come but they all summed it up in a nutshell :thumbsup :Welcome

mugzeezma
02-03-2011, 08:03 PM
I think if you desire so badly to help care for these guys then you should find out if it's legal where you are and contact a local rehabber and see how you can volunteer. I am a foster mom for a local rehabber where I am from....and I am still squirrel poor. I don't get paid to do it or reimbursed for supplies. But, it is an awesome experience to be able to raise these babies and give them another chance at life. :)
forgot my manners again :Welcome
See if your state allows fostering for a local wildlife rehabilitator.
Illinois does not but CO might.
You may also want to check out Siberian Chipmunks and see if they are legal to keep. YOu may be able to have Southern Flyers or ground squirrels.
Do know that a happy animal requires room to move and a lot of playtime. Good luck in your search:thumbsup
This board is here to help you if you should need it

Jackie in Tampa
02-04-2011, 12:58 PM
If you can prearrange a vet or rehabber to fall back on in trouble times, and if all involved are 100% commited...
sq love is the best ever!
enjoy!
Welcome to TSB...
:Welcome

ColoradoCritter
02-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all of the replies and great information. I've done my research and we're definitely ready for the commitment. I will check into the rehabilitation approach as well.

Thanks

2ndHandRanchRescue
02-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Welcome!!!