PDA

View Full Version : Small furless area with a red spot.

MaxX
11-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Looks like a tiny scratch.. Doesn't look like there's anything in it. Here's a picture. What do you think this is?

Gabe
11-27-2006, 06:18 AM
MaxX, take a small waterproof marker and draw a circle around the outer perimeter of the bald area. Watch to see if baldness continues beyond the circle, also watch for more of those spots.

island rehabber
11-27-2006, 07:17 AM
MaxX, take a small waterproof marker and draw a circle around the outer perimeter of the bald area. Watch to see if baldness continues beyond the circle, also watch for more of those spots.

Good idea, Gabe..I was thinking that it could be the very beginning of an external parasite like mange. The way the area is completely clear of fur -- definitely something to watch closely.

MaxX
11-27-2006, 10:46 PM
I looked in the middle of it and there was a really thick hair. I removed it with some tweezers, and so that's how I knew it was actually a hair. Maybe it was just an ingrown hair and he scratched at it? I dunno. I don't have any small markers, but I'll keep an eye on it.

MaxX
11-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Since I can't edit posts, I gotta make a new one.

Yeah, I just decided to go ahead and put some neosporin on it. It won't hurt him if he licks it, right?

squirrelfriend
11-28-2006, 10:36 PM
my Squirrelie bumped his nose once and got a little scratch on it. the hair came off around it too. It healed and the hair grew back. Do keep an eye on it in case it is something else though.

MaxX
11-30-2006, 03:46 AM
So the neosporin is okay?

Preacher
11-30-2006, 04:58 AM
I've used neosporen on BH,in areas where it was possible for her to lick so I don't guess she did. Never had a problem, Also there have been a couple of times where shes poked herself, or scratched herself...not badly mind you but still each time the fur would be missing around the injury. Even when she got infections that one time from not cleaning herself, the whole inside of her thigh became hairless, but with TLC it all grew back!! Mabye it's a way for them to better get at a wound to keep it clean, with no hair in the way????
Just a thought mind you. Hope all goes well!!!