PDA

View Full Version : I think I've been a bad Mom! D:

Mandee
01-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Newt seems very healthy but I'm concerned about the food I've been giving here...seems it's all the fatty bad stuff on the "avoid" list ):

Is there a website that has food that's ready to go?
I'd like to be able to have stuff that's all set to go ahead and give to her.. I guess I just need help getting what she needs.

spykitten01
01-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Well, fresh fruits and vegetables are always easy! You just clean them thoroughly and Voila! Fresh fruits and veggies, along with a great rodent block, need to make up almost her entire diet. She should only be getting 1-3 small nuts per day, and offered only AFTER she has eaten her healthy food. For the best squirrel block, go to henryspets.com and get the henry's healthy blocks - theyre awesome! Might not also hurt to get some fox valley formula and mix it in with some unsweetened, full fat yogurt or applesauce - itll give her the boost in calcium she needs to avoid devastating illnesses like metabolic bone disease - which is a HUGE concern with an improper diet. Im glad you found this when you did - please get on this right away, because the longer its put off, the more likely she is to develop the disease. :thankyou :thankyou and :Welcome

spykitten01
01-28-2011, 11:40 AM
you have a BEAUTIFUL little one, btw :D

djarenspace9
01-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Ditto on everything spykitten said!

Sadly, most health problems in Squirrels (in captivity) are due to improper nutrition.

I made mistakes along the way and was lucky to find the help and guidance here on TSB and from a great vet that also advocates good nutrition as a solid base for good health.

Pierre
01-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Also look up for the sticky in the nutrition section on Boo Balls. They're awesome and many squirrels love them!

Rhapsody
01-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Here is one of the links from TSB for a Healthy Squirrel Diet
http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16093

Mandee
01-28-2011, 05:39 PM
:thankyou
I have an order in for some rodent blocks! (:
Hopefully Newt will be on her way to a healthy new lifestyle in no time!

pappy1264
01-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Great, but remember, the blocks are a supplement to the diet, not the full diet. Fresh veggies, some fruits, dark leafy greens, mushrooms. Also, if you can get some branches off safe trees you know have not been sprayed, they eat the bark (maple is a good one or oak). Also, you can offer him some old fashioned oats, mine love them, but that is more of treat. Mine LOVE their greens, and their fav is sugar snap peas! They also love cactus pear. And I also give mine figs, which they love, but not every day. I try to mix it up so they don't get bored. Use the list (I keep it in my pocketbook, so I never have to question if something is ok for them~lol) I also give Mazuri rodent blocks, drizzle Stoneybrook Cream on top full fat french vanilla over that....they love it! (But you can just give the yogurt. I still sprinkle some fox valley into it, too!)

Kelly Brady
01-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Mandy you are a wonderful Mom to be so concerned and want to get Newt on a good diet.

She is Adorable !!!!!! That face. Would love to see more pics of her.

It is harder to be tough and make them eat what is good for them but in the long run makes for a beautiful healthy squirrel.

Pappy you gave me some good ideas with the oats and figs. Fun treats:D

Mandee
01-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Thank you everyone, You've all been so helpful (:

I started a thread to see everyone's squirrels! I'll be posting pictures of Newt there in just a moment! http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=603789#post603789

She's a bit chubby in her winter stage x: