PDA

View Full Version : Earl E. McSquirrely isn't nuts after all!

missbee
01-28-2011, 06:27 AM
First I have to give a big :thankyou to Squirrelly Steve. This was my first experience seeking help through a message board. My Earl is almost 2 years old. He fell from a tree in my Mom's yard when he was 7 or 8 weeks old. He is like a sibling to my girls and i mine as well have given birth to the little rascal because i love him that much. Recently i started giving him nuts with the shell. Alot of nuts. He started to get very aggressive. This was completely out of character for Earl. Before this he would nose back and forth through my hair and i could pet him like any pet. He would run around the livingroom almost smiling and being silly. I didn't know exactly what had changed. The local "Exotic Vet" lady said he was a wild animal and i should cut him loose. I am glad i didn't listen to her. The fact that he was so loving just a week or two before this told me maybe this could be fixed. Oh yes, get him fixed? Desperate option number 2.
Then i remembered The Squirrel Board and searched out Squirrley Steve. It is so great knowing i can get advice from someone with so much squirrel experience . Thanks Steve! You helped make a squirrel lovin family work it all out. (And Earl is his old self again!!):wahoo

lilidukes
01-28-2011, 06:50 AM
:Welcome to TSB missbee. Looking forward to seeing pictures of Earl:wave123

CritterMom
01-28-2011, 07:13 AM
Well, first, lots of nuts are NOT healthy for Earl E. He needs to be eating a rat block of some kind and getting nuts only as a treat at the rate of 2-3 MAX a day, and I'm talking small nuts like hazelnuts, not 3 big walnuts or pecans.

My boy gets his out time with me at night and that is when he gets his nuts. I hide a couple somewhere in my room and he has to hunt them down. This way I limit them for health reasons, plus because he only gets a couple, he EATS them instead of stashing them and trying to defend them.

Also. RIGHT NOW is squirrel mating season - the last couple weeks even this far north has been like Cinemax After Dark around here.:sanp3 Don't think for a moment he doesn't know that - their sense of hearing and smell is amazingly strong. All those girls running around flirting is enough to get a boy all revved up!:shakehead

Welcome to TSB by the way. Squirrely Steve rocks.:rockin

missbee
01-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Thank you for the tips and for making us feel so welcome. :thankyou
The more i understand about Earl the happier he will be. I look forward to future communications on TSB!:wave123