PDA

View Full Version : New Rehabber here

Cheerymonkey
01-27-2011, 10:29 AM
HI all,
Just passed the exam to be a licensed rehabilitator here in Minnesota. I've been volunteering in the mammal nursery at the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of MN for 3 years, and now I will be doing orphan care at home.

If anyone can help me with one thing I would be VERY grateful! In setting up my in-home nursery, I cannot find heating pads anywhere that don't have a 2 hour shutoff! I've been to dozens of stores, and shopped online tirelessly. Other than the $80 and up ones, I can't find what I need, and I'd like at least 4 or 5 of them.

Thanks in advance if anyone can direct me!

Nice to find squirrel people :):squirrel1

Sandra

pappy1264
01-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Welcome!! Do you have Walgreens near you? I can usually find them there.

Rhapsody
01-27-2011, 10:46 AM
HI and WELCOME........ :wave123

If you dont mind ordering online - try looking here (no auto shut off and you cant beat the price of $16.99)

http://www.henryspets.com/products/Sunbeam-No%252dAuto%252dShutoff-Heating-Pad.html

Rescue04
01-27-2011, 10:48 AM
we have those heating pads that shut off after two hrs. we bought a timer that plugs into the wall and connects to the heating pads. now we dont have to worry about the two hr shut off. you can get the timers at walmart.

island rehabber
01-27-2011, 11:02 AM
we have those heating pads that shut off after two hrs. we bought a timer that plugs into the wall and connects to the heating pads. now we dont have to worry about the two hr shut off. you can get the timers at walmart.

Rescue04 can you explain a bit more how that works? :thinking :)

mpetys
01-28-2011, 01:09 AM
Hi and welcome. I just bought two at Publix grocery store for $14.99 each. I know you don't have any Publix stores in MN but you do have Walgreens. At their website, they have one that has three heat settings and it is on sale for $11.99.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-12-in-x-15-in--moist-or-dry-heating-pad/ID=prod6031577-product

I would like to caution everyone against buying a used heating pad as you don't really know if it might have some damage that could lead to fire. Also, I remember reading several years ago about a fire that started with a heating pad. I believe the heating pad was purchased new at a local flea market. Apparently, while the heating pad was new, it was actually an old item and did not meet the current safety requirements. For $15, I don't think it is a risk we want to take with our squirrel babies especially since we are operating the heating pads for extended lengths of time.

Look forward to seeing you on the board.

Michele

pappy1264
01-28-2011, 06:18 AM
That one you posted from Walmart does have the 2 hour shutoff (I use it every night for my hip....lol) They are tougher to find. You got a few places to try, online may be the way to go.

lilidukes
01-28-2011, 06:25 AM
I don't have any thing more to add about the heating pad just wanted to say :Welcome to TSB:wave123 . Looking forwards to seeing pictures and hearing about the residents of your nursery.

pappy1264
01-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Just found this......

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-756-500-Standard-Arthritic-Controller/dp/B00006IV4N

Rhapsody
01-28-2011, 07:08 AM
Just found this......

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-756-500-Standard-Arthritic-Controller/dp/B00006IV4N

:rotfl :rotfl :poke :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl
Thats the same one they sell over at Henry's Healthy Blocks (HHB) - Sunbeam No-Auto-Shutoff Heating Pad :thumbsup

http://www.henryspets.com/products/Sunbeam-No%252dAuto%252dShutoff-Heating-Pad.html

CritterMom
01-28-2011, 07:24 AM
I have also purchased them at CVS drugstores - it is their bottom of the line pad; price right around what Henry's charges.

Cheerymonkey
01-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the welcomes, everybody!

I've been to two Walgreens here in Minneapolis but they all had the two hours shut off. I'm very curious to see if timers can override that, though?

Rescue04
01-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Hey, what we use is the Brinks (lamp) timer. The Brinks Part number is 42-1020. This timer allows for multiple shut off settings. I set it to shut off every 1:45, it is off for 15min, then comes back on. This resets the timer in the heating pad & gives it a break. We went from replaceing heating pads avery two seasons, to the ones we have now for over 3 years. I think lowes or home depot also sells them. You can give them this UPC code to see if it is in thier system: 0-3920897092-1. They cost about 7.00 - but are so worth it.

2ndHandRanchRescue
01-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Those heating pads are a mission to find, trust me I'm in rural nowhere - many a night husband has driven from town to town looking. I also have had to set my alarm in the nursery for ME to wake up 1:45 minutes. As I know we all have. Last year I had babies scalded by heating pad as I found (and it was a new expensive one) out was not regulating temps - very scary. So I started using these incubators. Easy to make if you have ooodles of babies like I do. Some day I dream of a real incubator......

http://squirrelworld.com/incubator.html

I know some may not like this but I'm just throwing it out there - it worked great for 2010 baby season.

PS Welcome Welcome Welcome - I'm from Minnesota and visit 3-4 times a year. Oxbow park in Byron Minnesota is where rehabbing all started for me with my mom (I was age 6) when she volunteered there. We were there many many weekends

Jackie in Tampa
01-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Family Dollar, $10...

:Welcome :wave123 Welcome to TSB!
:poke Pictures please!:D

spykitten01
01-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Look closely! I was running into the same problem last fall, but Walgreens does carry a heating pad with OPTIONAL 2-hr shut off! I want to say the pad was $40-50, so not great, but not horrible either - it has a lot of settings and I absolutely love it. Gives off JUST the right amount of heat. It is made by sunbeam, is fabric covered, and is a good size (14'x18') too - I bought this one at the Walgreens off of 94 and White Bear Ave (north side) - and I know they also have the same pad at the one on Century and 10th street in Oakdale. Best of luck!