PDA

View Full Version : Rodent blocks

CharmedSuggies
01-24-2011, 11:41 AM
I have bought the Henry's squirrel blocks. I took the package into my vet for him to look at. He was concerned about the high amt of calcium in the blocks and said he would not use them.

I keep hearing about rodent blocks. Are these the same as the squirrel blocks?

If not, where can I buy the rodent blocks?

Bella has the FV formula and gets it every so often and likes it. She liked the squirrel blocks from Henry's but like I said, my vet was concerned and just like humans, too much or too little calcium can be bad.

I would appreciate any help and/or links to find some rodent blocks that are good for her. :thankyou

pappy1264
01-24-2011, 12:15 PM
I do use HHB's, but I only give very small pieces. I also give (not the same day) Mazuri. I drizzle Stoneybrook full fat french vanilla over it, and put it in....she devours it! (Oh, I also mix some fv powder in w/the yogurt, too.) How is she doing on protein? She NEEDS protein....a big mistake many make w/flyers (hence, why you don't want to let them load up on nuts).

Rhapsody
01-24-2011, 12:16 PM
HHB are to be given only once a day in the AM - so with that in mind the blocks should not be of any concern to you, your squirrel or your vet..... but IF they still are you could always give them every other day (or) cut the block in half, hence cutting the calcium amount in half per day.

How does that sound?

P.S.
and Yes, you can use the rodent blocks in place of the squirrel blocks.

Pierre
01-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Rodent blocks are not the same as Henry's Blocks.

Rodent blocks are a full food [for rodents] and can be fed as the sole food as many as the animal wants.

HHBs are more of a supplement for squirrels than a food. The lady that researched and created HHBs explained recently that she didn't want to create a food for squirrels, because she wanted to allow for other foods to be fed [since no one really knows the exact diet a squirrel should have]. That is why the ratio of Calcium to Phosphorus is so high--- Ca:P ratio is 4:1 --- which is what your vet probably noticed.

She added a lot of Calcium to hope to make up for other items you might feed your squirrel that are not high in calcium, so that the overall diet was complete. You shouldn't feed more than 2 blocks a day.

The creator also recently stated that she might be changing the formula to the ideal ratio of Calcium to phosphorus of 2:1.

Many people use rodent blocks to make Boo Balls. Most squirrels love these. They are made with the blocks and fox valley and are very nutritious.

Typical rodent blocks are made by Harlan Teklad [the cadillac], Mazuri, and a few others. They can be crushed or softened in water to make the Boo Balls.

Rhapsody
01-24-2011, 12:28 PM
I drizzle Stoneybrook full fat french vanilla over it,

What grocery store did you find full fat yogurt at? I cant find full fat any where, good for us humans, but bad for the squirrels.

Rhapsody
01-24-2011, 12:32 PM
She added a lot of Calcium to hope to make up for other items you might feed your squirrel that are not high in calcium, so that the overall diet was complete. You shouldn't feed more than 2 blocks a day.

That is true - HHB are Supplements ONLY!! (hence the high calcium)

:thankyou for clarifying that - :thumbsup

Pierre
01-24-2011, 12:34 PM
FYI, here is a sticky on how to make Boo Balls:

http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26131

CharmedSuggies
01-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Bella LOVES the mighty mealies I give her for protein.

I'm used to having to look at the Ca:Ph ratios from having gliders. Sooo, the veggies safe for flyers, I compare the ca:ph ratio to come as close to the 4:1 ratio as I can.

HB are to be given only once a day in the AM

She does not eat anything in the AM so that won't work.

Can someone give me a LINK to the rodent blocks please.

I saw the boo balls recipe and save it but just need to find the rodent blocks and a link would greatly help

pappy1264
01-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Market Basket has it. It is Stoneybrook Cream on Top full fat yogurt (and I believe Jackie is the one who told me about it...but I may be wrong). I have given it to my squirrels w/no issues (not every day, but they like it drizzled over the Mazuri blocks, as well).

I buy it in the 32 oz size but they also carry individual ones (but it sells as soon as they put it out, so grab it if you see it!! lol)

I get my Mazuri block at Petsmart.

Pierre
01-24-2011, 01:40 PM
I compare the ca:ph ratio to come as close to the 4:1 ratio as I can.

Are flyers supposed to have a 4:1 ratio?? That's a really high Ca.

The ratio for most is a 2:1 ratio... It could be problematic if the diet overall were 4:1. ???

Harlan Teklads:

You are forced to buy some of her mix with the Harlan Tekald, fyi, but a nice small size and you can pick different formulas:
http://www.thecraftyrat.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TCR&Category_Code=VP

Or you could get it here, called Native Earth [it IS Harlan Teklad [not formerly HT] and made by HT, just made for pet owners and sold in a smaller quantity ---originally, HT was only sold in huge quantities for labratories. Believe it or not, this is small for HT!! It is however, a large bag.] Very economical tho, long term:
http://www.petfooddirect.com/product/9093/Native-Earth-18-Percent-Protein-4018-Rodent-Diet-40-lbs-%28formerly-Harlan%29#utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse

pappy1264
01-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks for those two links, Pierre (sorry to threadjack....wanted to try them for my rats...Mazuri has too much protein for the rats, esp. as they get older.)

Pierre
01-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Actually, I think the below is the best link. Sorry, I didn't add it before [it changed from "For All Living Things" and I had to call them first to get the new location]:

http://www.theratshop.com/index.php?cPath=1

The shipping is free if you get one of the flat rate amounts--- 10 lbs. And you can pick any of their formulations.

The current research, for all of us, LOL, is that less fat and protein leads to a longer life. The 2014 is recommended now for rats that are non-breeding. :)

momma2boo
01-24-2011, 02:08 PM
You can find the Harlan Teklad blocks (2014 or 2018) at www.thecraftyrat.com

Pierre
01-24-2011, 02:17 PM
You can find the Harlan Teklad blocks (2014 or 2018) at www.thecraftyrat.com

Yep, you can. I put that link above. The only thing is, you have to buy one of her grain mixes along with the HT...

The Rat Shop allows you to choose from all HT formulations, and you don't have to pay for anything else. :D

momma2boo
01-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Yep, you can. I put that link above. The only thing is, you have to buy one of her grain mixes along with the HT...

The Rat Shop allows you to choose from all HT formulations, and you don't have to pay for anything else. :D

I have never had to buy anything along with these blocks, EVER.

momma2boo
01-24-2011, 02:22 PM
http://www.thecraftyrat.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FS_02lb&Category_Code=

I have ordered from them several times and I have never had to purchase anything but what I wanted (the harlan teklad). I don't know why they would make you order her grains along with it.

Rhapsody
01-24-2011, 02:28 PM
She does not eat anything in the AM so that won't work.

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl (you can always break the rule) and give them at night - its just best to give them first thing in the morning when they are their hungriest.

Pierre
01-24-2011, 02:28 PM
M2B, Oh that's great. I kept getting some combo with the grain mix, :thinking and now I don't know why, my bad! Apologies. Good catch! Lot's of good places to buy them!

Rhapsody
01-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Market Basket has it. It is Stoneybrook Cream on Top full fat yogurt........
I have given it to my squirrels w/no issues (not every day)

Hmmmmm - we dont have one of those grocery stores down here in Central Florida.... guess I will have to wait for one of our other Florida members to home in one this question, but thanks.

pappy1264
01-24-2011, 02:56 PM
You're welcome! They started carrying it a few months ago, but as I said, it sells as fast as they can get it in....lol (I had one woman tell me once she'd pay me so she could buy the last one...lol....I didn't give it up! lol)

CharmedSuggies
01-24-2011, 03:37 PM
The ratio amt I put was a mis type, ignore it. I meant 2:1 ration because it's the same for gliders.

DUH ME! :rotfl

:rotfl Rhapsody, ok i'll break the rules for my baby and give them to her at night, he he

Wow, thanks so much all for the links and the help. I want to keep her as healthy as she is now.

CritterMom
01-24-2011, 03:56 PM
To find JUST the HT, go to the Flat Rate Shipping section of thecraftyrat and you will find it there. Took me a while, too!

Anne
01-24-2011, 07:05 PM
The StoneyBrook Yogurt is available at my local Walmart in the large container. I bought a small container at Publix but they disappear as fast as they come in:D

CharmedSuggies
01-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Pet supplies plus sells rodent blocks but i'm not sure what kind or what they are called.

Are these ok to use?

momma2boo
01-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Pet supplies plus sells rodent blocks but i'm not sure what kind or what they are called.

Are these ok to use?

You might be able to get Kaytee Forti-diet Pro Health (blue bag) from them if you can't get the Harlan Teklad blocks.

CharmedSuggies
01-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Thank you momma, I will see if Petsmart has it as well, they are closer to me.

I was just checking the ones at pet supplies plus because they do the bulk bins but no worries.