PDA

View Full Version : Light vs. Dark

wildkiwi
11-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Hi all. I've had my little flyer "Eich" for four years now (he's a southern flying squirrel)...I am finally at a point where I have the resources and room for a bigger house. We started framing it (it's 8'x8'x8'...a flyer's paradise I hope...I think he'll need a friend!)...anyhow, the predicament that I have run in to is that the house will be in the basement and the basement has no windows. I realize they are nocturnal animals, but how much does their body still depend on the the light/dark cycle of the sun? Could I put a particular kind of light in the basement, on a timer perhaps that would mimic the sun? Or will he be alright? Or is the basement a bad idea altogether? If anyone could share some insight on this light/dark predicament, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Squerly
11-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Hi all. I've had my little flyer "Eich" for four years now (he's a southern flying squirrel)...I am finally at a point where I have the resources and room for a bigger house. We started framing it (it's 8'x8'x8'...a flyer's paradise I hope...I think he'll need a friend!)...anyhow, the predicament that I have run in to is that the house will be in the basement and the basement has no windows. I realize they are nocturnal animals, but how much does their body still depend on the the light/dark cycle of the sun? Could I put a particular kind of light in the basement, on a timer perhaps that would mimic the sun? Or will he be alright? Or is the basement a bad idea altogether? If anyone could share some insight on this light/dark predicament, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!Well for starters, how are you going to interact with him if he's in the basement and your upstairs?

wildkiwi
11-26-2006, 12:41 PM
We spend a lot of time in the basement...we have a living area down there where we spend much of our time (TV, movies, game nights, work-out bench, etc.).

Squerly
11-26-2006, 12:56 PM
So I take it that this little guy doesn't actually get to come out of the cage and mingle?

Somebody's Mother
11-26-2006, 01:03 PM
well not all of us have the leisure time squerly does. haha! just kidding. but yeah i think your flyer would be happy to be in the midst of your life. you have to interact, let them chew on you and use you as a tree or whatever. but a full spectrum light that would be on during the time the sun would be up would help to sync his biorthyms. but you need to make sure and give him a vitamin supplement with vitamin d3 in it. flyers don't normally get enough sun to synthesize vitamin d3 that helps them to utilize calcium.

wildkiwi
11-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Thank you Somebody's Mother! I wasn't sure what kind of light I was looking for...now that I've googled "full spectrum light" I've gotten all kinds of search results and the effect of full spectrum light on animals and places where I can purchase them. He'll be a happy little critter, with happy biorhythms, the right amount of D3 (I have supps already), and enough attention to continue his long and happy life! :) Thank you.

Momma Squirrel
11-26-2006, 02:09 PM
:Welcome Wildkiwi and Eich. How did he come by that name?? We need pictures. Sounds like he will have a very nice home but does need that human contact, if you need help with that part I will be glad to offer my body for a climbing area :D :D