PDA

View Full Version : Injury

scratsdad
11-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Hi and thanks for your concern, I'm at the point of being concerned also from what I've been reading since I've found the board. First of all let me give some history behind Scrat. I found him laying in the backyard the day after a high wind storm. I don't know how long he had been laying there, but with alot of stray cats in the neighborhood I approached him with care. He was about 2 inches from nose to beginning of his tail but didn't seem affraid of me. This was on Friday Sept 22nd. He couldn't get up and was laying on his leftside. We thought scrat was a female until after about a week when his private part dropped. He was kept in the garage in a tall box for the first month. I've since upgraded to a plastic container that has rollers on it with a screen over it. I've been taking him out everyday, rain or shine unless I can't find a somewhat dry area under one of the cedar trees. I also have been taking him out 2 to 3 times in the morning for 15 to 20 or 30 minutes at a time. When he's had enough he comes to our shoes and holds onto them. Otherwise we try to keep a distance, while watching for stray cats. I've also put him on the base of the walnut tree and he climbs up to about chest high at which time I remove him and start over. We're currently got him in a cage, the first cage was a bird cage and felt it wasn't big enough so last friday upgraded to one 3 times bigger for more room. Like the plastic container I've also put branches in his home each time. The current cage has a fireplace size cut log (branch about 2-3inches in diameter. Plus acouple of smaller ones for him to climb under and through. He loves them and chews on them for his teeth.
The first week we had him on straight Pediasure(Vanilla) baby formula. After the first week we upgraded to adding a 8oz bottle into a pot and adding 2 tablespoons of creame of wheat. If the mixture got too thick we added alittle more Pediasure. The cream of wheat has him chewing like he's eating something. We've tried to feed him things like califlower, walnuts, and lettuce, etc but except for yesterday we won't touch solid foods. Yesterday he nibbled, but nothing big. We feed him 4 times a day. at 5am, 10:30am, 5pm and 10:30pm. The pediasure I compared to the chart Gabe posted on Oct of this year. KMR and ESbilac not available at any of the Petsmarts or other pet stores in town. Pediasure has 11.8% Fat, 7.1% proteen, 202g water, 230 calcum which they seem to be comparable with the others. At one time I mixed peanut butter in the mix but someone local told me not to do that and why. She has raised several squirrels and released them. She also works at a Animal clinic. Scrat has grown and is about 2 to 3 times the size he was when I found him, Okay out side for short periods. Last friday I not only got a bigger cage but got a full spectrum light for in the house on cloudy days. We keep him in the house right now due to the cold conditions we had because the garage is not only dark, but about 10 to 15 degrees colder than outside. We had temps in the mid 20's. He's been in the house for a week. His fur and tail are normal for what I've read. Mighty bushy tail. I'm guessing from what I know he's about 3 to 3 1/3 months old. He's had a balance problem every since we've had him.

Friday morning Scrat got his upper teeth and snoot caught between the left and right running bars (caught teeth downward,snoot up). Don't know how he got them through but I heard him yelping and came running. Couldn't get him out without prying the bars apart. Today (Sat his snoot is swollen), that wasn't the half of it. We put him in a smaller bird cage and late in the afternoon we included a dish of veggie sample to see what scrat would try. It looked like the califlower might do. So as not to interrupt we left to do some errans. When we got back I checked to see how things were going and the cage had red stuff on the bars going up and down (got away from the sideway bars because the mornings trama). The bowl had smudges of red stuff and the little cushion in the cage was soaked red. At first I thought it was the calicum carrot because it's slightly a faded red. But that wasn't it..both his cheeks were blood red. I guess he tried to squeez out of this cage. Today one side has the fur missing. I just got through using 1/4 inch square meshing for the inside of the big cage. I picked up a roll at a farm supply.
Here's the concern, besides not eating solids yet, the balance issue when walking.....today Scrat has been dosile compared to past. This concerns me more than anything....it scares me...this is not scrat....what can I do....

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-25-2006, 06:10 PM
The only thing I can think of when a squirrel cant walk is MBD. He needs callcium. How old is he again? I would get him right on Esbillac if he will still take formula. Pediasure is for humans he needs Esbillac. Its available on line also form a vets office!!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-25-2006, 06:19 PM
does the blood look like clotting or just blood?

henrismom
11-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Scratsdad, I can't give you any advise, all I can do is hope for the best for you and Scrats. There are real good people here who know a lot and I'm sure
that soon you will hear something. Rippie has a lots more squirrel experience
than I do. Just know that I will keep you in my thoughts and will check to see
how you are doing. :)
Henri got his nose stuck in the wire of his cage once, but not like this. When I
heard him crying I was in there in a flash, all he has to show for that is a little
mark across this nose, that scared me enough.

island rehabber
11-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Scratsdad, it sounds as if you have a couple of things going on here so I will try to address them one by one. First of all, Scrats may have balance issues because he was neurologically injured in the original fall he had, when you found him. He may never have good balance...it may get better, or it may get worse. OR, his balance may be poor because he has not had ideal caging from what you're telling us: he went from a box to a bin to a small bird cage.....usually when a baby squirrel's eyes open that's when we move them to at least a 2' x'2' cage so they can begin to climb and improve their balance. By 7-8 weeks old they should be in at least a 4 x 2 x 2 type cage, and so on. Scrats may indeed have calcium deficiency and I would suggest a calcium supplement like Prime as soon as you can add it to his food -- available at any pet store that sells bird supplies. The full spectrum light is a good idea -- let him have it on for as long as natural daylight this time of year. Try to get him interested in kale, sweet potato, broccoli or chickory for that natural calcium and other vitamins.
As for the blood -- he became frantic because he was in too small of a cage for a squirrel his size and age....try not to contain him like that again if you can help it. Clean his nose and mouth thoroughly tonight and keep an eye on the injured area to see if it is still bleeding....if not he will probably be OK. But please try to get a larger enclosure for him, OR we can help you contact a rehabilitator in your area who may have a very large squirrel enclosure where he can be with other squirrels. Please keep us posted as to how he's doing, OK? Good luck!

scratsdad
11-26-2006, 08:39 AM
does the blood look like clotting or just blood?

It looked like just blood, better today. Will have some bald spot on his cheek tho...

scratsdad
11-26-2006, 08:42 AM
The only thing I can think of when a squirrel cant walk is MBD. He needs callcium. How old is he again? I would get him right on Esbillac if he will still take formula. Pediasure is for humans he needs Esbillac. Its available on line also form a vets office!!

Will try to get some from a vets office, but at 12 weeks old he has doubled in size from the pediasure and should be eating solid things. I've also been adding xtra calicum from a calicum carrot stick they sell at the pet store. When I make the creame of wheat with straight pediasure I had the xtra calicum along with what's already in it.

scratsdad
11-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Scratsdad, it sounds as if you have a couple of things going on here so I will try to address them one by one. First of all, Scrats may have balance issues because he was neurologically injured in the original fall he had, when you found him. He may never have good balance...it may get better, or it may get worse. OR, his balance may be poor because he has not had ideal caging from what you're telling us: he went from a box to a bin to a small bird cage.....usually when a baby squirrel's eyes open that's when we move them to at least a 2' x'2' cage so they can begin to climb and improve their balance. By 7-8 weeks old they should be in at least a 4 x 2 x 2 type cage, and so on. Scrats may indeed have calcium deficiency and I would suggest a calcium supplement like Prime as soon as you can add it to his food -- available at any pet store that sells bird supplies. The full spectrum light is a good idea -- let him have it on for as long as natural daylight this time of year. Try to get him interested in kale, sweet potato, broccoli or chickory for that natural calcium and other vitamins.
As for the blood -- he became frantic because he was in too small of a cage for a squirrel his size and age....try not to contain him like that again if you can help it. Clean his nose and mouth thoroughly tonight and keep an eye on the injured area to see if it is still bleeding....if not he will probably be OK. But please try to get a larger enclosure for him, OR we can help you contact a rehabilitator in your area who may have a very large squirrel enclosure where he can be with other squirrels. Please keep us posted as to how he's doing, OK? Good luck!

I've been told by a Vet Tech at a animal hospital, who's rehabed several squirrel, racoons, etc that it might also be a nerological injury since he's not been able to walk since we found him, about a month old was my guess. Scrat can walk on all fours for a distance, then looses balance, or if he get into terrain not level.

As for the box and plastic they were big enough to put limbs and small diameter fire wood into for him to climb over and under and the box and plastic container were wide and long enough for him to get around, but not out of. I was told by the Vet Tech this was was.

The cage scrat is in now is 23" tall 23" long and 18" wide, which also has all the wood products from the other containers, he like to chew on the limbs.

Scrat was moved from the dark and extremely cold garage 2 weeks ago and upgraded to the cages in the house where he's been very content until the two injuries.

Thanks for your input. That's why I've been on the board and read everything I can.

scratsdad
11-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Scratsdad, I can't give you any advise, all I can do is hope for the best for you and Scrats. There are real good people here who know a lot and I'm sure
that soon you will hear something. Rippie has a lots more squirrel experience
than I do. Just know that I will keep you in my thoughts and will check to see
how you are doing. :)
Henri got his nose stuck in the wire of his cage once, but not like this. When I
heard him crying I was in there in a flash, all he has to show for that is a little
mark across this nose, that scared me enough.

I heard Scrat crying out also. Thank god he was in the house and not out in the garage where I use to keep him. After I got him loose, to no fault of his, he bit the hand that feeds him 4 times. I mean deep, testimonity that his teeth didn't get hurt. It took me a good six hours before my blood fully clotted. But scrat was more important at the time.

island rehabber
11-26-2006, 09:12 AM
I've been told by a Vet Tech at a animal hospital, who's rehabed several squirrel, racoons, etc that it might also be a nerological injury since he's not been able to walk since we found him, about a month old was my guess. Scrat can walk on all fours for a distance, then looses balance, or if he get into terrain not level.

As for the box and plastic they were big enough to put limbs and small diameter fire wood into for him to climb over and under and the box and plastic container were wide and long enough for him to get around, but not out of. I was told by the Vet Tech this was was.

The cage scrat is in now is 23" tall 23" long and 18" wide, which also has all the wood products from the other containers, he like to chew on the limbs.

Scrat was moved from the dark and extremely cold garage 2 weeks ago and upgraded to the cages in the house where he's been very content until the two injuries.

Thanks for your input. That's why I've been on the board and read everything I can.

Poor sweetie -- now that you've told us what the vet tech observed, it does sound, then, as if his neuro problems are keeping him from really developing his coordination. It also sounds as if you have a non-releasable squirrel there, and I'm hoping you will continue to love and care for him as you have been doing. Even if he is a little bit of a special-needs baby, you can give him the right diet and room to play and he will have a great life being a member of your family. It takes some work, for sure....we'll help all we can! :peace

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-26-2006, 09:16 AM
Do you have any pictures of him to post?