PDA

View Full Version : My squirrel won't eat her squirrel blocks! D:

JustinBarnett
01-15-2011, 12:19 PM
So we've had our squirrel who goes by the name of Fuzzy for a while. Maybe about five months. But we had no idea that she needed squirrel blocks, of course when we found out, we rushed and bought some from Henry's Healthy Pets. But now I've come to another problem, our squirrel won't eat the blocks. She won't even pick them up. And I need help.

--- Justin Barnett.
:dono :thankyou

lilidukes
01-15-2011, 12:40 PM
If you contact 4Skwerlz at Henry's she can give you a lot of suggestions.

Leigh helped me with my Ella, I had to remove all stashes. After a couple of days of going hungry she now eats her blocks very readily every am. Then veggies and fruit in the afternoon with treats at bedtime only. They will not starve themselves.

Good luck and :Welcome to TSB

Jackie in Tampa
01-15-2011, 01:17 PM
yep, try tough love...
remove all stash foods...
no nuts until your sq does eat them.
I have read where many will soak them in apple juice, spread peanut or almond butter on them, soak them in formula if your sq still likes it.
Avacodo is also spreadable..:)
I had the same problem at first, but my gang has been addicted to them for a couple years...not a seizure here since. I deal with many sqs that have failed in others care, usually MBD.
HHBs are Da Bomb, so worth going thru the Tough Love program. Good luck!
:Love_Icon

Pnerissa
01-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Starvation is the key! :D And once they finally realize that they are actually yummy, they'll grab and eat those first before starting in on their vegetables. My kids hate veggies. :(

Bev

JustinBarnett
01-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Yes, thank you for this helpful advice! But my mom(Who claims the squirrel) said that she didn't want to take all of her food away cause she already doesn't look good...

If you contact 4Skwerlz at Henry's she can give you a lot of suggestions.

Leigh helped me with my Ella, I had to remove all stashes. After a couple of days of going hungry she now eats her blocks very readily every am. Then veggies and fruit in the afternoon with treats at bedtime only. They will not starve themselves.

Good luck and :Welcome to TSB

lilidukes
01-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Yes, thank you for this helpful advice! But my mom(Who claims the squirrel) said that she didn't want to take all of her food away cause she already doesn't look good...

By not looking good what do you mean?

Kelly Brady
01-15-2011, 06:13 PM
This sounds kind of harsh but show Mom these posts. If you would like to keep fuzzy, he will continue to look worse and die if he does not eat these squirrel blocks.
The tough love will get him started on the blocks and he will begin to look so much better you won't believe it. He will eat them if nothing else is offered.
Good luck and keep us posted on your sweet Fuzzy. We love Pictures:D

lilidukes
01-15-2011, 06:23 PM
I can get you the names and numbers for a couple of squirrel friendly vets in your area if Fuzzy is in that bad of shape.

JustinBarnett
01-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Alright, well my mom has agreed that she'll try and remove all the food that Fuzzy has in her box, and leave her with the squirrel blocks. We'll also try to get some photos of Fuzzy up sometime soon. :multi

mugzeezma
01-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Alright, well my mom has agreed that she'll try and remove all the food that Fuzzy has in her box, and leave her with the squirrel blocks. We'll also try to get some photos of Fuzzy up sometime soon. :multi

What i have done is take the blocks and rub them with a bit of corn oil.
What type of blocks do you use?

Kelly Brady
01-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Great news Justin, The people on this board are wonderful and they have guided me through having very healthy squirrels. Following their advice works wonders I promise.

I am so sorry to have called your Fuzzy a boy. Was just going along to quickley I guess and thought I saw boy.:dono

Welcome to The squirrel Board Justin, Fuzzy and Mom:Welcome

wheezer
01-15-2011, 09:10 PM
A trick I use is to cut them in little pieces and mix just a tad (about 1/8 of a tsp ) of tahini or almond butter over all of them and let them sit a while to soak it in. My Mary LOVES them. At first I ground them in a coffee grounder before adding the tahini or almond butter. But I wanted her to have more of the chewing experience:)

JustinBarnett
01-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Yeah, my mom is going to try and remove all the stashes in there today... but my mom was wondering what vets you knew around here, Lilidukes.

Tara
01-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Another tip to get her to eat her HHB...I used to take them straight out of the fridge and cut them into two or three pieces...then my squirrels would eat them. Don't know why they wouldn't eat them whole. :) You could try that...it may work.
Good luck! and.... :Welcome

Tara