PDA

View Full Version : Hey everyone!

Wubby
01-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Hey guys! I'm new here and I guess I will tell you a little about myself..

At the end of September, I came back from the store to find a 1 week old squirrel sitting in my garage guarded by my cat. I picked it up fast and warmed it up. (I knew what to do because my cat has done this before.) I put it in a box out side and waited. The mom never came so I tried the next day and I finally lost hope. At that point, I already had it on pedialyte. I started formula immediately after that and I got to work! Now, shes a crazy, loving, retarded squirrel. I have had her for 5 months. I have done a pretty good job for a 14 year old!

Thanks
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd443/wubbydubby/1208001601.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd443/wubbydubby/DSC_0140.jpg

mugzeezma
01-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Hey there Wubby!

14? Are you kidding me?

My Daughter is 14 and I cannot picture her doing this as well as you have even though she is fabulous with animals.

Your folks must be very proud of you and very tolerant of wildlife loose in the house. :bowdown
She looks wonderful!
What's her name?
Has that little girl been behaving herself?:tilt
Has she developed a taste for electronics or furniture yet?:nono
How does your girl get along with everyone?:multi
What doe she eat?:poke
Go into the forums and look at the nutrition section and read read read.
welcome to TSB

Please feel free to ask us anything...no question is too small or silly!

BamaHam
01-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Welcome aboard! I'm glad you're here! This is a great place to be if you're a LITTLE NUTS!!! That's why we do so well with squirrels.LOL. Look, listen, and ask questions and you can learn a lot. What is your baby's name? He/she is a cutie pie!:Welcome mjs

mpetys
01-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Hi Wubby! Welcome and congratulations. You certainly have done a good job. I love the picture of your squirrel with the apple. What personality! Is her name Wubby or is that just your screen name?

You must have great parents to let you take care of a squirrel in the house! Now that you have found the Squirrel Board, take advantage of the wonderful information here about everything squirrel! Read the sticky notes in the Nutrition section. My squirrel will be one year old on January 25th and I am still learning about what makes a healthy diet for a squirrel. My squirrel's name is MonkeyButt! He was 2 weeks old when I found him. Below is a picture of him. One thing I have learned is that diet is so very important. Please read up on MBD, Metabolic Bone Disorder. A friend of mine just got a 5 month old squirrel that cannot walk because it was fed a poor diet and now has MBD.

Ask any questions you want. There are no dumb or silly questions. As you browse through the forums, you will come across all kinds of questions and answers. I learn a lot just by reading what others have gone through.

You will also learn that everyone here loves to see pictures of everyone's squirrels and to hear stories about the silly things they do, so please jump right in. Some people start a thread about their squirrel in one of the other forums, such as the grey squirrel forum or the nursery forum if they have a baby or babies!

There are lots of experienced people here. One thing they may ask is, "what do you feed your squirrel?" Please do not be offended if they make suggestions on how to make his diet better. If that happens, it is only because everyone here cares about squirrels and just wants to make sure that your little girl grows up in the best of health.

I look forward to hearing more about your squirrel and seeing more pictures.

Michele

Wubby
01-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the support! Her name is Ricki Bobby. We could never find a name for her until one night when watching Talladega Nights. It was a joke at first, but it stuck! My parents are pretty proud and supportive. They don't know that much about animals, but they are starting to learn a lot about them.
She is really adventurous. When I let her out she gets into everything..including my drawers. She always finds out how to make perfect nests or chew on something she shouldn't. She loves electronics..Lamps are her favorite! Other than that, she is great. She will follow me anywhere. If I leave the room she comes running around the corner to find me.

Ricki gets along with everyone she meets. She always wants to jump on everyone's shoulders and sniff them. (or nibble on their ears)

Her diet mainly consists of-
Monkey Biscuits
parrot food mixture (seeds and things)
unsalted nuts
peanuts with shells
apples (her favorite)
bananas
grapes
lettuce
kale
carrots
broccoli
acorns

I have heard not to give them citrus fruits? Is this true? I haven't given her any to play it safe.

I'd love to hear all of your suggestions

btw-getting a new cage soon (getting bigger)
Would this be a good kind to get? http://cgi.ebay.com/4-level-Ferret-Chinchilla-Sugar-Glider-Bird-Rat-Cages-/330518677318?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf472c746#shId

Thanks!

mugzeezma
01-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the support! Her name is Ricki Bobby. We could never find a name for her until one night when watching Talladega Nights. It was a joke at first, but it stuck! My parents are pretty proud and supportive. They don't know that much about animals, but they are starting to learn a lot about them.
She is really adventurous. When I let her out she gets into everything..including my drawers. She always finds out how to make perfect nests or chew on something she shouldn't. She loves electronics..Lamps are her favorite! Other than that, she is great. She will follow me anywhere. If I leave the room she comes running around the corner to find me.

Ricki gets along with everyone she meets. She always wants to jump on everyone's shoulders and sniff them. (or nibble on their ears)

Her diet mainly consists of-
Monkey Biscuits
parrot food mixture (seeds and things)
unsalted nuts
peanuts with shells
apples (her favorite)
bananas
grapes
lettuce
kale
carrots
broccoli
acorns

I have heard not to give them citrus fruits? Is this true? I haven't given her any to play it safe.

I'd love to hear all of your suggestions

btw-getting a new cage soon (getting bigger)
Would this be a good kind to get? http://cgi.ebay.com/4-level-Ferret-Chinchilla-Sugar-Glider-Bird-Rat-Cages-/330518677318?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf472c746#shId

Thanks!

Her diet looks quite good.
I offer mine bits of citrus with no problem
You can add Avocado (oddly they LOVE it)
collard greens
fresh cilantro or parsely
frozen peas and green beans
bell pepper
MUSHROOMS wild squirrels love mushrooms...full of D3 for strong bones
brussel sprouts
pieces of fresh corn on the cob as a treat (break it apart)
snap peas
snow peas
MEALWORMS! yes, the wilds eat lots of bugs
left over cooked chicken bones
sweet potato
melon
any berry

fresh green branches, buds, maple helicopters, magnolia cones

~from untreated lawns~
clover flowers and leaves
dandelion greens

the more variety the better.

Be very careful with nuts!
Even though you cannot always see it poorly stored nuts can have a mold toxin called alfatoxin or mycotoxins (from the word myco which refers to molds and fungi). Peanuts and nuts must always be stored in a cool dry place.

As far as the cage I will tell you what the (NWRA National Wildlife Rehabilitator Assoc) recommends and you can go from there

They recommend nothing smaller than 4'Lx4'wx8'h
That is release cage minimum
Maybe your Father can build something for her?

The bigger the cage the happier the squirrel

If Ricki has plenty of supervised play time the cage can be smaller of course.
I look for all metal cages because my squirrels hate being caged and chew up all the plastic components they can get at.
Squirrels are considered sport chewers

Ricki may not have discovered than finer aspects of electronics yet so I would not let here near you computer or cell phone...:D

Gust a warning here because your folks may not appreciate replaceing your phone and keyboard...squirrelies love to pop the keys off!

I have replaced MANY phones and keyboards because of squirrels.

Mugzi :Love_Icon hid nuts in my printer too

All in all I have to say that life with squirrels is never ever boring and always fun.

Please don't let any of this alarm you

I have seen a lot of things happen on this board and I only want what's best for you and your friend

Being prepared is so much better than not having what you need and being in a panic to find it...hopefully you won't need any of it.

Here is a list of emergency first aid products I want you to keep on hand

Ipecac
Activated charcoal capsules
Neosporin (as much for you as your squirrel)

If your veterinarian will not see your squirrel save any antibiotics you have left over.

Wubby
01-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Her diet looks quite good.
I offer mine bits of citrus with no problem
You can add Avocado (oddly they LOVE it)
collard greens
fresh cilantro or parsely
frozen peas and green beans
bell pepper
MUSHROOMS wild squirrels love mushrooms...full of D3 for strong bones
brussel sprouts
pieces of fresh corn on the cob as a treat (break it apart)
snap peas
snow peas
MEALWORMS! yes, the wilds eat lots of bugs
left over cooked chicken bones
sweet potato
melon
any berry

fresh green branches, buds, maple helicopters, magnolia cones

~from untreated lawns~
clover flowers and leaves
dandelion greens

the more variety the better.

Be very careful with nuts!
Even though you cannot always see it poorly stored nuts can have a mold toxin called alfatoxin or mycotoxins (from the word myco which refers to molds and fungi). Peanuts and nuts must always be stored in a cool dry place.

As far as the cage I will tell you what the (NWRA National Wildlife Rehabilitator Assoc) recommends and you can go from there

They recommend nothing smaller than 4'Lx4'wx8'h
That is release cage minimum
Maybe your Father can build something for her?

The bigger the cage the happier the squirrel

If Ricki has plenty of supervised play time the cage can be smaller of course.
I look for all metal cages because my squirrels hate being caged and chew up all the plastic components they can get at.
Squirrels are considered sport chewers

Ricki may not have discovered than finer aspects of electronics yet so I would not let here near you computer or cell phone...:D

Gust a warning here because your folks may not appreciate replaceing your phone and keyboard...squirrelies love to pop the keys off!

I have replaced MANY phones and keyboards because of squirrels.

Mugzi :Love_Icon hid nuts in my printer too

All in all I have to say that life with squirrels is never ever boring and always fun.

Please don't let any of this alarm you

I have seen a lot of things happen on this board and I only want what's best for you and your friend

Being prepared is so much better than not having what you need and being in a panic to find it...hopefully you won't need any of it.

Here is a list of emergency first aid products I want you to keep on hand

Ipecac
Activated charcoal capsules
Neosporin (as much for you as your squirrel)

If your veterinarian will not see your squirrel save any antibiotics you have left over.

Me and my dad will get on that asap. Does anyone have a suggestion for the outside? Chicken wire maybe? Ill look into to it tonight.
I will go out and get Activated charcoal capsules (gas?) and Ipecac (to make them vomit up something?)
I forgot to tell you guys about her pulling off my dads keys...

Thanks! Ill get on this asap.

mugzeezma
01-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Me and my dad will get on that asap. Does anyone have a suggestion for the outside? Chicken wire maybe? Ill look into to it tonight.
I will go out and get Activated charcoal capsules (gas?) and Ipecac (to make them vomit up something?)
I forgot to tell you guys about her pulling off my dads keys...

Thanks! Ill get on this asap.
:thumbsup

Ummm
those things are for poisoning
activated charcoal binds with toxins

Do you have house plants?
Tell us what kind and keep her away from those and any flower bouquets.

1/2" mesh is better than chicken wire.
You want to keep other animals OUT as well as keep her IN