PDA

View Full Version : Hello All Squirrel Lovers!

lordak3333
01-08-2011, 02:48 AM
Hello Everybody... I am so excited that I found this website!!! Please forgive me in advance for any mistakes I make along the way. This is the first forum I've ever belonged to, and sooooo I have many questions.

I probably ought to start off by telling you all that I am "owned" by the most precious squirrel in the world! My husband found him in our yard one morning after a storm had passed through the night before. I'm guessing he was between 4-6 weeks at the time. He had most of his fur, but his eyes were not opened yet, I instantly fell in love!

After calling my vet, and being informed that "pet" squirrels are illegal in our state, I made the decision to help the little babe despite what the "laws" said. My vet was able to give me the name of a local vet assistant who had personally rehabbed squirrels before setting them free. I was able to speak with her and get some basic advice.

Things went real well while feeding him formula, but I soon found out that her advice on what to feed him after he was weaned was the worst thing I could have ever given him! She told me his diet would consist of nuts... sunflower seeds, corn, acorns, walnuts, ect. She said beings he is a rodent, I could give him cereal and crackers along with the nuts, but she mentioned nothing about fruits and vegetables.

One night I went in to check on him and found him lethargic, crying, and unable to move. I was soooo scared! I thought my baby was gonna die. Luckily I found a web page that said to get Calcium and Vitamin D into him immediately. I threw some clothes on and went to Wal-mart at 2am in the morning. I also grabbed an avocado,as the webpage suggested I do.
Within 3 days my little guy was moving around some and now being intruduced to a complete different diet. (fruits and vegetables and Calcium daily) I was soooo surprised that he liked everything I gave him. We are still giving him a variety of food along with either the crushed up Calcium or some Vitamin drops that I bought from the pet store. But since he's been getting real food he's started to nibble alot and becomes kind of aggresive when he is eating. He's drawn blood a couple of times.

I'm sorry this post is sooo lengthy, but I love my little guy and want only the best for him.

The last week or so he's been having alot of diarrhea. I need to know if anybody might know what I'm doing wrong, and what I need to do correct it. He's still real playful and is eating good, it's just his poo has been runny for over a week and I'm afraid he's going to become dehydrated.
Now that I've written a short book I'll go for now. I look forward to any replies and once again am sooooooo grateful I found this site.

Thank You,:thankyou
Lori

CritterMom
01-08-2011, 07:02 AM
OK, a few things here.

You MUST first get ahold of the diarrhea. Go to the drug store and buy a bottle of Kaopectate (not Pepto, not Maalox, just Kao). You may want to also pick up the smallest bottle of flavored pedialyte you can find - orange is popular. If you HAVE Kaopectate in the house, you can make up your own home made rehydrating solution :

1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 quart water

Refrigerate solution but administer warmed to formula temp.

Give your guy 1-2 DROPS of the Kaopectate and no more. You can probably put it on something he eats.

Then, yes, you need to get rehydration into him - diarrhea for DAYS is not good. Start giving him the rehydration solution and give it to him periodically through the day. If he will take a syringe that is the best way.

We will need to know how he is doing later today as far as the diarrhea is concerned. If he ate something that made him ill he should improve; if he has other issues such as coccidia another tack will be needed.

Onto the second: Can you please list what he eats in a day? Are you feeding him any rodent blocks of any type? And how much calcium are you giving him per day?

I am going to point more people toward this post.

Jackie in Tampa
01-08-2011, 07:18 AM
I am not a rehabber, but will ask questions to help the rehabbers expedite your sqs issues.
Crittermom has given good advise.

LIST everything that your sq eats...including everything from the wild, if any.

IF YOU ARE GIVING CALCIUM WITH D included STOP immediately.
The calcium suppliments sold with D are targeted at human ratios and will OD a sq if given to long.
It will also stop the calcium from being absorbed.
Go to store and buy PLAIN CALCIUM CITRATE or Cacium carbonate,
these are pure and only calcium...
To administer D I offer yogurt in a dish daily , any flavor {mine like vanilla} and mushrooms.
You can also add any fish oil or cod liver oil to the peanut butter for instance,, just a drop...
D vitamin is found in very few things naturally
fish
the sun
mushrooms
dairy

If your sq will take formula still...that's a very good idea...if he will not take from a syringe, let him lap it from a bowl.
If he won't take it mix it in dry with the yogurt.
What formula did you use?

Also if you are feedding lots of apples or apple sauce, that can also cause diarreha.

List everything so the rehabbers can help you...
someone will be on soon.
thank you for finding this forum and loving him from the get go! you rock!

HOW long has she had diarreha and what color is it? does it smell?
How old is your sq?
is it a eastern grey or foxer...
can you post a recent pic of your sq?
Stop all suppliments bought at the pet store also...
Like Crittermom said, push rehydration fluids.

Jackie in Tampa
01-08-2011, 07:29 AM
TSB has a couple rehabbers in MO...what area are you in...asking just in case you need help ...if your sq continues to go down hill, I also have another rehabber friend out there, Gail, that maybe near you...just wanting to make sure if we need help we ca get someone to you asap.
Precautions only.

Also
here's a substitute formula you can make yourself if you were originally using Hartz brand or Esbilac, KMR {these are not good for sqs} and the Hartz could kill something/anythging already dead.:nono
HARTZ SUCKS...they should hang for first degree murder!
If you fed Clarrissas scalded milk, that will cause diarreha for sure...I KNOW THAT FOR A FACT< I Used it and my sqs died from dehydration ...years ago.

Some peeps say Just Borne is ok, I don't think so...

Jackie's Goat Milk Recipe
1 cup goats milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup dannon all natural vanilla yogurt

Jackie in Tampa
01-08-2011, 07:32 AM
:Welcome :wave123 welcome and glad you found this site!:Love_Icon

ask as many questions as you need...
also if your sq is not moving correctly in his back half...place a heating pad set on low in the nest area, do not allow him to chew the cord...
again Welcome!

lilidukes
01-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Good morning and :Welcome .

Great advice and questions coming your way already. Just want to say Hi:wave123

Jackie in Tampa
01-08-2011, 07:52 AM
I personally never use kaopectate..I opt to find the reason and go from there...but that's just me...
I am not saying to NOT give...just that it is not how I would handle diarreha myself.
I have several years of hands on experience with sqs, many many sqs.
If you need to talk to someone ...ask and they can call you.
We have a private message system up in the right hand corner if you need extra help, use that to contact administration or any member in order to keep your phone number off the public board.
{TSB members, I am not available today to help for long and have NOT sent a PM}
A pic is going to give alot of info...try to post one asap.
good luck

bonniel
01-08-2011, 07:59 AM
i am new also. it's a wonderful site. but i don't know what i am doing either.
i rehabbed the sweetest baby red squirrel. she died tragically on christmas eve; do to someone's carelessness. i was/am crushed with pain.
i wanted to mention a few things. i hope you don't mind.
i found that you can sneak in calcium, and even rodent block, into their diet by mixing a favorite food with them. my little guy loved grapes, so i would sprinkle calcium on the grape. he ate rodent block if i crushed and mixed with a bit of applesauce. it is important to know what you are feeding him now and how old he is (did you mention that?)
i am not a professional at taking care of orphaned squirrels, by any means; but my little guy was very healthy and happy. and i did soooo much reading.
it is not legal in my state either, but they need help fast, so you do the best you can.
all squirrels are different. mine scratched alot, when he would hang on with his sharp claws. we got used to it :) he also would bite while playing, but not drawing blood....more like hanging on with his teeth. when he would bite too hard, i would just say no (they learn the word, no) and stay still. then i would play again and she was more gentle. she did however love to chew my woodwork :)
well, if i can help in any way, or just need someone to talk to, please let me know.
i wanted to post pictures, but i am not good at forums. i kinda gave up.
i could write a book on my little guy, but i won't.
my heart goes out to you as you figure out what is wrong. i pray it is nothing serious, just a change in diet.
i sure do miss my litle guy♥

mugzeezma
01-08-2011, 08:34 AM
:Welcome :wave123 welcome and glad you found this site!:Love_Icon

ask as many questions as you need...
also if your sq is not moving correctly in his back half...place a heating pad set on low in the nest area, do not allow him to chew the cord...
again Welcome!
YOu can run the chord through pvc pipe, cardboard paper towel tube, etc.

everything is good advice here
I will add that that you SHOULD continue the vitamin drop WITH the increased calcium...they provide vit D3 which is necessary for Ca absorption.

Supplementing with vitamin drops geared towards rats mice and hamsters would be best.

Provide cuttlebone for birds
leftover cooked chicken bones work great too

Diarrhea

Your wild born baby may have what's called a coccidial infestation.
Coccidia are protozoan parasites that are fairly common. They only become a problem when the animal is stressed and the immune system is not as efficient to keep the numbers in check.
It causes diarrhea.

See if your vet friend will do a fecal float for you.
Albon and SMZ-TMP will help bring those bugs back in check.
Give the probiotics yogurt or BeneBac for beneficial gut flora ... do that now to get the balance back

You can give a drop of Kaopectate if it becomes serious but it does not address the cause

Can you syringe feed your your squirrel?

I would give orange flavored pedialyte.

Go into our forums section for:
NUTRITION
EMERGENCY MBD TREATMENT

remember squirrels are omnivores, they eat a broad variety of plant material and insects, even birds.

Where in Mo are you located approximately?
We may have a friendly rehabber in in your area that will not confiscate your squirrel.
:Welcome to TSB

mugzeezma
01-08-2011, 08:39 AM
I personally never use kaopectate..I opt to find the reason and go from there...but that's just me...
I am not saying to NOT give...just that it is not how I would handle diarreha myself.

I agree with this whole heartedly
Diarrhea is the body's way of expelling toxins. Use it ONLY if the diarrhea is watery and there is a risk of severe dehydration.
Always try to find the root cause, if possible before giving meds.
Sometimes it's not possible, and treatment is used to rule out the cause.

Get fecal float testing first if possible

lordak3333
01-11-2011, 11:51 AM
OMG! Since I posted the other night my internet has been down and I haven't been able to get on here until now! I just got done reading all of the suggestions and will be going to the pharmacy real soon to get plain Calcium. I have been giving him the Calcium with Vit.D.
Also, I hadn't been giving him rodent block, because he wouldn't eat it. But I've found out that if I don't give him anything else at the time he will eat it reluctantly. I've limited his diet to 2-3 rodent blocks 3x's a day and carrots and broccoli once a daY.
I feel sooo bad for my baby cuz it seems like I keep doing everything wrong. I will also get him some pedalyte when I'm at the pharmacy.
I don't know if this is where I need to be posting, if not... please let me know.
Thank you,
Lori

virgo062
01-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Doe his "poop" have a REALLY BAD odor?

lordak3333
01-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Actually since he's been getting the rodent block, his diarreah has been better since last night. But before it was very smelly and very liquidy.

lordak3333
01-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Ok... Let me give an update beings I haven't been able to get on the internet since I first introduced myself.
I have started tricking my little guy so he would eat rodent block and that seems to helped with the diarrhea. I've also limited his diet to brocolli and carrots. He was getting spinach and cauliflower along with the brocolli and carrots before. I've been giving him Calcium with Vit. D but have learned I should be giving straight Calcium. Can someone tell me how much, what milligram, and how often on the Calcium. Also should I continue with the vitamin drops I got from the pet store???
Also can someone please giving me an example of what exactly I should be feeding him, and how often.
I will try to get a picture of him on here today, but I believe he is a red squirrell. We have greys and reds outside, so like I said I believe he is a red. I am sure I'm not supposed to be posting this under the Welcome Section, so please let me know where to post things correctly.
Thank you sooooo Much!
Lori