PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

LynninIN
11-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Sammy is about 14 weeks old. Today is his first day out of the cage and he ran up a tree and won't come down. We are very concerned because he is at least forty feet up and has not moved in three hours. When I say hasn't moved, I mean even his eyes. We can see him with binoculars. Before today he wouldn't even come out of the cage due to fear. It's getting dark and the temp will drop to near freezing. He's been inside every night. I've seen him "freeze" because of fear before and appears he's done that now. What do we do? If this isn't a life threatening emergency sorry but we are panicking.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Put his cage out where he can see it, its already dark here but ususally they will come back before dark..if not he may be up there all night? Leave the cage open but watch it.

Squerly
11-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Will he come to you normally? If so, get a chair and go out by the tree and wait for him to come down. Keep talking to him. Put his cage out there too. He should come down as it gets dark.

LynninIN
11-24-2006, 05:22 PM
It's dark outside now and he's still in the same spot. When we could see him it was odd, Sammy was not even moving his head to look at birds landing on near branches or another squirrel that came close.

He can see his cage if he looks down. Yes, he normally comes to us easily. Will he be okay?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-24-2006, 05:30 PM
he should be ok overnight? Is there any cats in the neighborhood? Thats what you have to worry about tonight. No doubt he's in that frozen mode. Rippie went into frozen mode for 6-7 hrs after he seen the neighbor mowing the lawn. The noise terrified him.
Be out there at the break of dawn to watch him is all that I can suggest now. Besides leaving a light on & his cage open all night. Sorry I cant offer more.

LynninIN
11-24-2006, 05:31 PM
There are cats around but I've never seen them in our yard. Thanks for your help.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Lynn what is the status of Sammy today? Boy when he makes the news he really makes the news ...then attempts to pull and all nighter.
I hope by now you have him down.

LynninIN
11-25-2006, 08:24 AM
Sammy came back this morning and seems just fine. He looked at us like "is there a problem".

He climbed around us and layed in my arms then he went into his cage for water and food. After that he was out and running around the trees.
I wanted to close that cage door and take him back inside but didn't.

This release thing is hard.

island rehabber
11-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Sammy came back this morning and seems just fine. He looked at us like "is there a problem".

He climbed around us and layed in my arms then he went into his cage for water and food. After that he was out and running around the trees.
I wanted to close that cage door and take him back inside but didn't.

This release thing is hard.

Sammy's doing exactly what is expected of a healthy young squirrel ready fr the trees. He's going to use his home as a base camp, but each day he'll climb higher and higher and then return to base camp....maybe for 2 days, maybe 2 weeks, but eventually he'll find a great place to sleep in the trees and that will be his home. Sounds like you've done a great job soft-releasing him, so far. Don't worry about the "frozen in the tree" thing -- a rehabber friend of mine had a timid girl squirrel who stayed like that for 4 days. But after that, she was fine. :)

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-25-2006, 08:33 AM
:thumbsup yes mam it is, you need to help be on the look out for predators also, untill he gets more stable outside and I am talking cats & hawk, do some googeling and get firmiliar with the look & sound of hawks.
I spent the first 2-3 weeks outside with my little ones, during play time just to be sure ..I know thats not always feasible, and now that its cold, definitly not.

LynninIN
11-25-2006, 08:41 AM
but each day he'll climb higher and higher.

His first trip up the tree he climbed to the top. At least 40 or 50 feet and stayed there all night.

When I called my mom last night upset she informed me "that's exactly like something you would have done".

Why is it your pets/charges have the same personality as their owners?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-25-2006, 08:51 AM
When I called my mom last night upset she informed me "that's exactly like something you would have done".

Why is it your pets/charges have the same personality as their owners?

Well if thats true ..Mine took off for 2 weeks..I cried till I totally gave up. The day I gave up he reapeared, and would never let me get near him again. :nono little stinker boy!!

Squerly
11-25-2006, 09:47 AM
His first trip up the tree he climbed to the top. At least 40 or 50 feet and stayed there all night. Sounds like a tough little squirrel to me. He'll do just fine. :thumbsup