PDA

View Full Version : penicillin (sp?)??

ACDsandAussies4me
11-23-2006, 01:47 PM
can you give squirrels penicillin???

island rehabber
11-23-2006, 02:08 PM
yes in the correct dosages, of course, you can give squirrels Pen G, ampicillin, Amoxicillin and Clavamox (Augmentin). Not sure about any others.

ACDsandAussies4me
11-23-2006, 07:24 PM
If all i had was penicillin how much would you dose a squirrel??? just wondering...I always have some pen but got some baytrill instead, but the pen would have been faster to give than the baytrill....just wondering for a future case if need be..

ACDsandAussies4me
11-24-2006, 07:18 AM
We have no idea what we are treating for, he is a large animal vet..only one i could get to help me, only antis i seen on here that was talked about was the baytrill so i told him about that and thats what we are trying...Baby has blood in his stool, he hasn't been healthy since he had the last siezure about 6 days ago...i noticed the day after that that he didn't poo like he normally does when i feed him...he just keeps going down hill...i am having to force feed him now...i hate to say this, for past two mornings i wake up expecting him to have passed...these babies are very strong in will...not sure if this is good sign or not but there didn't seem to be as much blood today...excuse my typing and shortness of this, i am trying to get meds down him now so i am one handed here...lol...thanks for the answer Gabe, will pass this onto my vet and see what he thinks...we were affraid to try anything else as he said some antis could really hurt an animal if given the wrong ones..
thanks

Gabe
11-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Albon is the best to give for squirrel with diarrhea as it won't affect his intestinal flora. Albon is sulfa based. Try some probiotics, if you don't have any use any good quality yougurt such as dannon that has live cultures in it.
How long has he had diarrhea? What are feeding it? You may have to stop formula feedings for a day and approach the diarrhea issue. Is that his only symptom?

Secret Squirrel
11-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Albon is the best to give for squirrel with diarrhea
Is that his only symptom?

Where is diarrhea is mentioned in the previous posts????

The reason why I ask has nothing to do with diarrhea!! I hope ACD can get the help she needs for this little guy. We are here to help but some information is being exchanged that the general public doesnt need to know.
:soapbox Too much information can be DANGERIOUS in the general publics hand. Having said that......giving dosages without proper diagnosis can be lethal to the squirrel at hand.
All this information SHOULD be exchanged in a PM ONLY!!!!! Or as lots of us do...by telephone. Is anyone PMing or talking over the phone??? It's lots faster and it keeps John Q Public from playing rehabber when they have no clue in what is really inlvolved in saving a life.
This needs to be understood by all who become members of this board....can a licensed rehabber lose thier licenses by giving too much information???? Food for thought!!!:get_em

Squirlgirl
11-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Hmmm....is there stuff going on behind the lines here? I saw nothing about diarrhea, just blood in stool. There is a very BIGGGG difference between loose stool containing blood and diarrhea. I am truly wondering WHY this medication question was asked?? I have seen NO REAL syptoms to be addressed and I STILL believe that there is NO REASON WHY meds should be discussed publicly!!
Does the general person know med math? If this was posted for a vet...it should have been sent to the vet!

Gabe
11-25-2006, 06:41 AM
You're right. I'm sorry. Message received.

ACDsandAussies4me
11-25-2006, 08:08 AM
I am sorry if I upset anyone, that was not my intentions at all...I was wondering about that stuff....
Doesn't really matter anymore because my little one didn't make it...He put up a great battle but in the end he went to join his squirrel friends in their heavenly trees this morning...
Thanks for all your help and I hope I never got anyone in trouble..
Dianne

Squerly
11-25-2006, 08:20 AM
I am sorry if I upset anyone, that was not my intentions at all...I was wondering about that stuff....
Doesn't really matter anymore because my little one didn't make it...He put up a great battle but in the end he went to join his squirrel friends in their heavenly trees this morning...
Thanks for all your help and I hope I never got anyone in trouble..
DianneYou didn't upsent anyone ACD... I'm so sorry that your little guy didn't make it. But you did your best and that's all anyone can do.

island rehabber
11-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Oh Dianne, I am so sorry he didn't make it. He sounded as if more than one thing was going wrong and we'll never know the whole story. As others have said before, he was able to cross the Bridge knowing that he was loved, and there's a lot of good in that despite the sadness.

Secret Squirrel
11-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Sorry for your loss ACD....like you said he was a fighter. :grouphug All we can do is try to help the animal and wait and see what the outcome brings. You have learned a great deal and hope you will become a rehabber as a result of your learning experience.
And no you didn't get anyone in trouble....you were seeking help and got it.
Good luck and keep learning about wildlife.....they are our future!

Squirlgirl
11-25-2006, 10:43 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Its situations like this that has caused alot of us to become rehabbers. It is heart breaking..but almost pushes you(in an odd way) to want to learn more and help more!!
No one was in trouble. As Gabe said, if the right medication is not given, it is useless, or even harmful.:grouphug

Gabe
11-25-2006, 10:56 AM
It's okay, Dianne, you didn't get anyone in trouble. They did have their point. My intent was purely to help keep your baby alive, but I could have handled it differently.

can a licensed rehabber lose thier licenses by giving too much information???? Food for thought!!!:get_em[/QUOTE]

No, it is our job to help.

Secret Squirrel
11-25-2006, 11:27 AM
can a licensed rehabber lose their licenses by giving too much information???? Food for thought!!!:get_em[/quote]

No, it is our job to help.[/quote]

I hope this helps...I read this as "YES" you can lose your licenses!! Please protect what you have worked so hard to obtain!!!:Love_Icon 184.6 and 184.7

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/regs/part184.html

Gabe
11-25-2006, 02:16 PM
no, that simply means that we must provide medical care for an animal in need. If it is beyond our abilities, we must consult a vet. We cannot let an animal suffer by not providing treatment that we are incapable of providing, including euthanasia. Many vets call us for accurate doses even with anesthesia, because they have never been trained in this area and we have.

ACDsandAussies4me
11-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Thank you all so much for the thoughts and kind words....He was very much loved and I did everything I could..I am sure he had some kind of internal problems going on but without that lisence nor any rehabber within hours of me the only other person I could turn to was a large animal vet ( horses ) and he told me he really had no idea so we did the best we could with what knowledge each of us had...I just hope my baby realised how loved he was even though I was probably doing some mean uncomfortable things for him there at the last ( trying to keep him hydrated ). He died in my hands this morning as I scratched his little chin and said my goodbyes with little kisses...At this point I am not sure I want to even try that again, but if I know me I am sure if another one dropped into my lap I would do everything I could to get them healthy and back out there were they belong...I just wish it was easier for me to get that rehab license, maybe I will look into it more when my life gets a little more straighhtened out....
Thank you all again so much and good luck with all those little orphans, may they all grow up to be big and strong and healthy !!!!
Dianne

Gabe
11-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Dianne, this is a Rehabilitator's Prayer, I look at it everytime I have held a little one while he died.

Go back little one, return to the One
Who loves you far more than I.

Venture quietly into a world
Of ageless evergreen and lofty limb,
Gentled with peace, void of harm, of fear.

Tread softly to a place where your skies are ever azure,
To a land where love will cover you as you rest
Safely in the palm of His hand.

And as your wee eyes again sparkle
So will your soul be blessed, as is mine,
For having held you close to my heart for a time.

So tarry not precious lamb, for in this sweet release you
Will be and remain forever free.

Hope this helps you to know that he is painfree and happy, and as rehabbers know, sometimes they come to us to die. Gabe

Kathy56
11-25-2006, 05:57 PM
Dianne,
I am so sorry for the loss of your little one. You helped him on to the Rainbow Bridge with kisses and he knew he was loved.
Gabe,
You made me cry. It was beautiful. Is it ok if I make a copy? I have many friends who do dog and cat rescue and this would mean alot to them when they lose one. :grouphug

Gabe
11-25-2006, 06:00 PM
I know, it makes me cry everytime I read it too. Help yourself. Author is unknown, but I believe a rehabber wrote it.

Alaskan Squirrel Cam
11-25-2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks Gabe,

I saved that one.

bob

island rehabber
11-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Gabe, that was beautiful and I will save it too....I was in a weepy mood when I checked in tonight and I'm sure a mess now. But sometimes you just gotta cry. For all the little ones.