PDA

View Full Version : Citrus seeds and skin question

mpetys
12-29-2010, 09:42 PM
I give my squirrels citrus - mainly oranges and limes. With the oranges I feed segments with the seeds removed unless it is the seedless clementine and then I just give them the segment. With the limes, I cut in quarters and remove the seeds, leaving the skin on.

I recently bought some kumquats; I have never eaten them but had always heard how you can eat the skin and all. Well I discovered they have seeds in them. Can the seeds be eaten as well? by humans? by squirrels. It is heck trying to get all the seeds out of a kumquat, they had a lot!

I have wild oranges growing on our property. They are too sour to eat for most people to eat unless you are one of those people who love sour things. They are smaller than a lime but bigger than a kumquat. I have not seen the wild squirrels eating these although I suspect they do. I do not have much luck witnessing the wild squirrels eating anything except for when they come to us for a nut or if they make mad dashes for the corn we give to the ducks and geese!

Would it be a safe thing to let my squirrels try a whole orange? My thought is that I have three that will be released in the spring so I would like to introduce them to this if it will be something they need to know about. I imagine they will spit any seeds out but is there anything horrible in the seed if a silly squirrel were to eat it or chew on it? Anything horrible in the skin?

Just some additional information on my trees. I believe they are what is considered the original orange trees and what the current orange trees are grafted onto. They are supposed to be a lot more hardy than other orange trees and that is why the growers use the sour orange root stock for the base and graft the nice sweeter oranges to them. They grow tall and skinny
and the trunk is covered in 2 to 3 inch barbs. When the blossoms are blooming, I swear they smell even better than the other citrus trees. I think this fruit is sought after by the Hispanic community and I think the Asian community for use in sauces for cooking.

Michele

Rhapsody
12-30-2010, 12:35 AM
For what I have learned about citrus with animals I would not give my squirrels to much of it at once as it can cause loose stools which in turn can create tummy aches (and) as far as the seed of a fruit goes we should never allow our pets to eat the seeds as they contain cyanide and in large doses they can cause severe illness or even kill -

Jackie in Tampa
12-30-2010, 07:54 AM
no cyanide in citrus...my sqs love oranges and get them often...
they never eat the skin.
My outsiders destoyed my oranges this year...
since we had little rain, the return wasn't large to begin with...

although we are stealing from the neighbors tangerine tree!:D

island rehabber
12-30-2010, 07:59 AM
The pits of apple, cherry, peach and apricot fruits contain small amounts of cyanide, as do cassava seeds (used in tapioca pudding). Jackie's right-- citrus seeds do not.

i always find it interesting that wild Florida squirrels eat citrus fruits. My rehab babies won't touch them....in fact they recoil from the orange smell and do the "yucky" move with their front paws. :) Guess it's natural since they would never have such fruits in their wild diet around here.

Jackie in Tampa
12-30-2010, 08:07 AM
as a bench jeweler I know just enough about cyanide to be very careful.
Our body does not expell it, it accumulates.
It is deadly once the level in our body reaches 'said' amount...
so I do remove seeds from all fruit that IR mentioned...
a few seeds will not kill, but removal is best IMO.:thumbsup

http://vegpeace.org/rawfoodtoxins.html

Pierre
12-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Some food for thought [ha ha]:

I know squirrels are not rats, but curiously, male rats should not be fed orange juice--or specifically, the substance d-limonene that is in the juice. A report showed that orange juice contains a carcinogenic amount of d-limonene for the male rat, but it has absolutely no effect on female rats. D-limonene binds to a protein (alpha2u-globulin) in the male rats' kidneys. The protein then builds up and causes cancer.

D-limonene is a naturally occurring substance found mainly in citrus oils and is mostly or entirely in the oranges' skin/ rind. It gets into juice by the squeezing/pressing process.

I doubt it is of concern with our male squirrels, but I guess I wouldn't let them eat a lot of the rinds [in captivity some things are eaten [because it's there, or out of boredom] that might not be eaten in the wild].

Who knows, just an FYI. In truth, I doubt there'd be any issue, but I thought I'd pass along.