PDA

View Full Version : Howdy and thank you from Texas

GinT
12-29-2010, 02:36 PM
I've been reading all these posts for weeks now and thought it was about time to say 'Thank you" to y'all.

Just about 3 months ago, my husband was on the riding lawnmower in the back yard when he heard a loud squeaky sort of noise. He looked in the direction to see a small furry grey thing hopping through the grass. He shut off the mower, put his gloves on, walked into the path of the little critter that was running at him, squatted down, put his hands on the ground and the little one ran right into his hands. We were both a little surprised, but figure our 11 year old Great Dane that we had put to rest a couple weeks before had played a part. She loved every critter. Or, it could have been the storm we had the night before :)

I've rescued baby bunnies and birds, but never a squirrel, so googled like crazy, being sure not to take just one page as gospel. I determined we had a scared, but healthy little girl that was about 5-6 weeks old. I left messages for nearby rehabbers for a week, but never got a single call back, so we took on the responsibility of rehabbing her until spring since she wasn't going to be old enough to release before colder whether hit.

Her name is Rocki. I'm not sure if she is a fox or gray squirrel. Leaning towards fox though. I have learned so much about caring for her from this board over the last few months.

I know I'll have more questions, but most I've had so far have been answered here.

I look forward to learning more squirrel from y'all.

Gayle

This is Rocki when she found us.

island rehabber
12-29-2010, 03:15 PM
OMG is she adorable! I think you have a foxer there.....more pix please! :D

Scooterzmom
12-29-2010, 03:31 PM
What an adorable sweetheart!!! :Love_Icon :Welcome aboard, always happy to find more of the critter lovers around. :grouphug

Skul
12-29-2010, 03:36 PM
That's a Foxy baby, alright.:rotfl

mpetys
12-29-2010, 03:41 PM
:Welcome

What a lucky girl Rocki is to have found you and your husband. I am so glad you found the Squirrel Board. Please feel free to ask any question you might have. I have been here for just under a year now and I have asked tons of questions and always received kind and caring help.

As Island Rehabber said, "more pix please!". Everyone here enjoys looking at pictures of squirrels. We also like stories about silly things she does also. We learn so much about squirrels and squirrel behaviour, not just from our squirrels but from what is written about others!

Michele

Chickenlegs
12-29-2010, 04:11 PM
She is beautiful beautiful beautiful. This IS a great place isn't--and now one more wonderful squirrel lover. Welcome :Welcome

GinT
12-29-2010, 07:50 PM
We have taken lots of pictures! She is absolutely fascinating. She has her own page at http://web.me.com/gayle/Rocki/Rocki1.html

We've posted a couple of her videos to YouTube also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftseDfj4Trg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_23zRT7DJg

We have more videos, just haven't got them to YouTube yet.

These little furry things are just amazing to watch grow. I know it will bring lots of tears when it is time for her to be a wild squirrel, but know that is where she belongs.

Gayle