PDA

View Full Version : Oatmeal

TheSquawker
12-23-2010, 11:46 PM
I was trying to fix something new for the squirrel to eat. I opened a box of QuickOats and Pepper(my squirrel) tried her best to get some of them to eat.

Would they be alright for a squirrel to eat sometime? I have noticed that they have no calcium in them. Maybe they might be good to use as an ingredient with something else?

Thanks

tambot1
01-14-2011, 01:28 PM
I am curious myself. I have a 2 1/2 year old gray squirrel and she loves oatmeal. I give her some about every other day, about a teaspoon full. I hope its ok because she loves it. She also likes the packets with fruit in the oatmeal:)

mugzeezma
01-14-2011, 06:58 PM
I am curious myself. I have a 2 1/2 year old gray squirrel and she loves oatmeal. I give her some about every other day, about a teaspoon full. I hope its ok because she loves it. She also likes the packets with fruit in the oatmeal:)

The instant packets have a lot of sugar...but oatmeal in general is fine...like anything else make sure they get their rat block and good core nutritive items first.

TheSquawker
01-15-2011, 12:19 AM
The instant packets have a lot of sugar...but oatmeal in general is fine...like anything else make sure they get their rat block and good core nutritive items first.

That's true, and after I got to looking at it, if I remember right the instant has some calcium but the regular oatmeal has no calcium so it would need to be given after other healthy foods that does.

astra
01-15-2011, 11:42 AM
will be really quick here:

oatmeal is great in million ways, one of the almost-miracle foods. No wonder squirrels like it, dry or not.;-)
instant is less nutritive because it has been cooked, dehydrated and then, gets sort of cooked again. Better rolled, or at least old-fashioned, or try even steel-cut.