PDA

View Full Version : where can i get wild foods?

fire-eyez
12-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Hey everyone

I was just wondering where I could get some of these things listed on henerys wild food list here they are...

acorns
bottlebrush flowers branches*
carnations**
chrysanthemums**
dandelion greens hibiscus,
all parts lambsquarters magnolia cones
maple seeds & fronds***
purslane plaintain roses** rose hips

CritterMom
12-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Well, some can be found in the yard - dandelions and plaintain - as long as you are sure the area is never sprayed with insecticide or other toxins. Many of the others are seasonal. The rose bushes up here in Maine all have the red rose hips on them in the winter. As far as the flowers are concerned, I do not give commercially grown flowers to my critters - like the chrysanthemums at the grocery store. Commercially grown flowers are grown with a horrendous amount of insecticides.

In the spring, the new tips off of maple branches are WONDERFUL. Acorns are an autumn thing - any left on the ground now would not be good to eat anymore.

Some grocery stores sell things like dandelion greens.

fire-eyez
12-23-2010, 11:48 AM
oh okthanks....yea nothing like that in my backyard lol I st have a lake and two small regular trees that doesn't give me anything :( lol but ok thanks so much for your help

pappy1264
12-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Don't forget, if you have a maple tree, just pull branches off, they eat the bark (even better if it has that lovely green stuff on it....lol) I give mine branches every day, they love it!! (Seeing I am in MA, not much else left out there....lol)