PDA

View Full Version : Feeding question

Stickerburr
11-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Hi, I'm new to the board and need a little help with a feeding question. I have been feeding a small group of squirrels who were displaced when my neighbors cut down their trees a little over a week ago. I noticed today a large falcon swooping down and landing in my tree. I chased him away, took up the food and won't put anything out again until I find out how to safely feed them without making them a target for predators. Will the squirrel feeder placed in my tree work? Thanks for the help!

Ilya

island rehabber
11-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Ilya, it's my understanding that falcons prey upon small birds, not small mammals....but I could be wrong and hope someone corrects me if I am. Your squirrels may be safe from them if they are falcons....if they are hawks, that's a different story.

Momma Squirrel
11-22-2006, 03:16 PM
:Welcome Stickerburr, glad to have you and thanks for feeding the outside wild ones. We try to place all our feeders in a group of limbs so the leaves will give them plenty of shelter or if you have some close to the ground, which might bring other problems like cats, we put them under bushes or something low growing. If I had it my way we would put a dome over our property, but that would take winning the lottery :wallet

Stickerburr
11-22-2006, 03:28 PM
It might have been a hawk. I was so busy trying to startle it out of the tree, I didn't get a good look. I'll try to find a safe, sheltered branch to place the feeder. Thanks so much for the advice. Ilya