PDA

View Full Version : Thats why i love squirrels! They act like me!

Cobia
12-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Hello everyone :)
Im from tennesee and just found the squirrel board trying to research into getting a little buddy. Been reading all about flying squirrels, but any more info would be great!

So far I've figured out Tennessee isnt legal in the strictest sense, however it appears north Carolina is, and it close enough for emergency vet runs if ever needed.

problem is, i cant seem to find a breeder close by, and not sure how i feel about having one go through the pains of shipping.

Im currently an College music major (time consuming i know) So iv been calculating how to make the weening stage work. With the hand feedings and such. My mom would probably be more than willing to give it a mid day feeding since i still live at home. (classes from 9:40-5 on tuesday thursday, and 10:40 to 3 on monday wednesday) And fortunately, little buddy could hang out with me during the hours of homework I would be doing, while all the people who didnt sell their soul are having fun. Would this be ok for spending time with him?

Anyways any tips are very welcome! :thumbsup :thankyou

island rehabber
12-13-2010, 01:06 PM
:Welcometo TSB!
I am sure some of our flyer experts will be on to give you the 'real deal' about being owned by a flyer, but at least let me say Welcome! Here's a good place to start, if you haven't seen it already:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15969

and also:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396

:thumbsup

Cobia
12-13-2010, 04:08 PM
thanks a bunch mate! I've been here for a few days reading before signing up, so i saw the dues and do nots. But the what it is the be owned by a flyer is new to me :) thank you for the link! Ill try to get it all read before my 8:00pm class tonight.

Squirrels have always been my favorite animal, so if i get one or not, its still fun to learn :crazy

pappy1264
12-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Flyers are wonderful, for the right people. They are silly, curious little ones, who will get into everything!!! lol They need quite a bit of your time (and are nocturnal, although they will gladly sleep in your shirt during the day...lol) They can be picky eaters, so you need to have a strong backbone to not give in to their cute little faces begging for 'just one more nut, please'...lol They need a pretty big cage (in comparison to their size), even with lots of out of cage time. As a general rule, they are pretty healthy, BUT you have to make sure (before getting one) you have a good, experienced vet (and a back up, just in case) so you won't be caught w/o one if you do need one (which is not always easy to find). You have to love to laugh (because you will so much, your face will hurt! lol) Every flyer is different, and some can get moody as they mature (my Rocket can be a blister sometimes...lol) LOTS OF TOYS to keep they stimulated (when you can't be with them). They potty out the sides of the cage and on you (you CANNOT potty train them...lol), so they can be messy. BUT....they will grab hold of your heart and not let go! They will make you laugh and smile, even as the whole world is a mess around you! I call them 'little furry mood picker uppers!' So, if you are the right person, they are THE BEST!