PDA

View Full Version : feeding a squirrel from a nonstick saucepan...

getter
12-07-2010, 10:49 AM
my cousins rings me this morning cos hes rescued a squirrel qnd he wants to know if its okay to look after it. yes i say.
im straight round, squirrel (tank) is doing well but we were wondering if it was okay to feed him from a nonstick saucepan? just a regualr one like these: http://www.twenga.com/price-nonstick-saucepan.html i cant find anywhere what chemicals it is that makes it non stick and if they would be bad for a squirrel to ingest... sorry to be weird but my cousin only has pots and pans at his place (long story involving an eco warrior girlfriend) and the best i can find online is this: http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/healthandfitness/a/nonstickpans.htm
can anyone offer any advice?

lilidukes
12-07-2010, 11:22 AM
:Welcome :Welcome Great to have you here.

First how old is this squirrel? We love pictures :poke and can help more by being able to see what you have.:D

I feed mine on plates or in bowls from my kitchen. Even a glass ashtray would work.

CritterMom
12-07-2010, 11:26 AM
The danger of nonstick cookware comes from the heating. If heated too high, the PTFE coating outgasses toxic fumes.

If you are talking about heating formula to the just over 100 degree temp it should be fed, you are using very low heat and should be okay.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone should dump their nonstick cookware and replace it with stainless steel. No outgassing issues and scrubbing those bad boys is great for the upper arms!

momma2boo
12-07-2010, 04:31 PM
The danger of nonstick cookware comes from the heating. If heated too high, the PTFE coating outgasses toxic fumes.

If you are talking about heating formula to the just over 100 degree temp it should be fed, you are using very low heat and should be okay.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone should dump their nonstick cookware and replace it with stainless steel. No outgassing issues and scrubbing those bad boys is great for the upper arms!

We have new stainless steel cookware and I will NEVER go back to nonstick. I totally LOVE LOVE LOVE the stainless steel.

mugzeezma
12-07-2010, 06:48 PM
I would be more concerned if it chewed on it than ate off it. Other than that it's a food safe surface.

getter
12-08-2010, 03:36 AM
great news, yes thinking about formula and youre right, hes not chewing it, just eating off it, i did watch to see if he was interested in chewing it but he doesnt seem to be.
we have tried to take photos for you! but hes a fidgety thing and nothing we have so far even looks like a squirrel, just a blur of tail!! maybe il get him when hes sleeping tonight...!

Jackie in Tampa
12-08-2010, 09:02 AM
buy a few crocks at the pet store....
does he have a water bottle?
geez...what does GF do about cage situation?
weirdly wow'ed!:thinking