PDA

View Full Version : When to disinfect a cage . . .?

Busysqrl
12-04-2010, 03:59 PM
If a squirrel has coccidia, when do you disinfect the cage? Do you do it at the beginning of the treatment, the end of the treatment or every day while treating. OMGosh please don't say the later . . .LOL!

mugzeezma
12-04-2010, 04:53 PM
If a squirrel has coccidia, when do you disinfect the cage? Do you do it at the beginning of the treatment, the end of the treatment or every day while treating. OMGosh please don't say the later . . .LOL!
If you wast to break the cycle...the later. I will admit that I only did it a few of times during the treatment and after. Be aware that one treatment does not always knock it out. The follow up tests also need to be repeated. Oocytes are not consistently shed.
Enjoy :tilt

Busysqrl
12-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks Mugz! I just disinfected the cage and today was the first treatment. I'll disinfect in another week and then again at the end of the treatment. I'll get another test done after 10 days and then again at 14 days and then again several days later. I want to make sure it is gone. This is a wild squirrel I'm rehabbing who has a broken back. He's eating great and his nutrition is now wonderful, but his fur isn't that great. It's nice and thick, but it feels rough to me. Will the coccidia cause that? I'm used to silky feeling fur.

Best Life
12-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Is this Magnus? I thought I saw the name in another post about the wild with the broken back. ?

Busysqrl
12-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Yes this is Magnus. He has coccidia. He didn't have any symptoms, but I was taking one of my dogs to the vet along with a stool sample and decided to take one for Magnus too. Sure enough he was positive. So this morning he got his first dose of SMZ. He's doing really well, I couldn't ask for better progress :jump

lilidukes
12-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Busy poor Magnus. Good job catching this. You scared me I thought it might have been a female. Be still my heart:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Hugs and loves to Magnus:Love_Icon Get well soon little man.

Busysqrl
12-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks Lil! He sure doesn't seem to know he's supposed to be sick. Here's my little man :jump

Nancy in New York
12-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Well look at you stroking that little Magnus. He sure looks like he is enjoying some nice lovin' from his "foster" mom. Now who would have thought that you would have your hand on this little man...sure didn't take you long to gain his trust....see squirrels are smart that way...they know the "good ones".
Nice job there sweetie...:Love_Icon

Busysqrl
12-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Awww, thanks Nancy! It did take about 6 weeks for him to figure out that petting was a good thing :jump He's so funny, now he will charge up to me on his shelf and I'm quite sure he would bite me. Then he quickly turns his butt to me and sits there waiting for me to pet him. If I stop, he backs up into me. I never thought I'd be able to pet this little guy. Not being a rehabber, it's been stressful helping him with his issues, but what a joy to see him improve.

mugzeezma
12-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Awww, thanks Nancy! It did take about 6 weeks for him to figure out that petting was a good thing :jump He's so funny, now he will charge up to me on his shelf and I'm quite sure he would bite me. Then he quickly turns his butt to me and sits there waiting for me to pet him. If I stop, he backs up into me. I never thought I'd be able to pet this little guy. Not being a rehabber, it's been stressful helping him with his issues, but what a joy to see him improve.
Clearly you have a knack for this...keep up the good work. He's a handsome fellow btw :thumbsup

astra
12-05-2010, 08:41 AM
:jump :Love_Icon