PDA

View Full Version : BOTS????

WILLIAM&LEELEE'SMAMA
12-04-2010, 12:38 AM
I am new here...I'm Sally....i was reading about bots. I am wondering about these nasty parasites. Can someone tell me at what temp. do these things go away? I am trying to figure out if one of my boys has one because 2 nights ago this perfectly round circle appeared on Lee Lee and it looks very similar to some of the pics i have seen up here. I will try to submit a pic for opinions. I am also wondering if i could have killed this thing by putting neosporin in the wound and if so what should i do next??? thanks for the info in advance...

WILLIAM&LEELEE'SMAMA
12-04-2010, 01:49 AM
i'm sorry...i didnt know how 2 get the pics on my post so i had to do these pics of the sore on my baby in a post...i hope this works. Does this look like a bot fly warble to anyone? It's December...when do bot flies go away??

Jackie in Tampa
12-04-2010, 07:21 AM
I do not believe that is bot fly...
however it resembles the site after the parasite has left...but you would have more hair loss around it, and would have seen it far longer than two days ago...:shakehead
do you have a vet?
I recommend ABs Rx
I would like to see that better...
sorta worries me.:thinking
Can you tell us what it looked like before that photo and what it looks like now..to me...a spider bite!
if it is spider bite, they usually do ok with extra fluids and rest, but abs woul help.
i would recommmend a betadine flush and some triple anti b and a vet visit if possible for the rx abs.
anyone else think spider?

psychobird
12-04-2010, 10:34 AM
right on jackie, that looks like a scary wound, i have never seen anything like it.

Jackie in Tampa
12-04-2010, 10:42 AM
I had a spider bite myself and that's what it looked like..
also we had a release come back and stay for 6 days with a spider bite ..he came home sick, and I saw where was grooming, it looked like an ant bite, a white head pimple.
It grew, burst and an ulcer formed, that's how I knew it was spider bite. I did use Baytril for 5 days, 'CHIP FORSTER, Golf pro at large' ...was his name...he got well and is out in the trees!
Not sure if ABS are needed.

WILLIAM&LEELEE'SMAMA
12-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the info...to answer the question what did it look like before....there was nothing there...we went shopping and when we got back that night my daughter was changing the boys from their house in the living room 2 their sleeping house in my room and when she brought leelee to me i saw it then...it wasnt there before we left but william and leelee were playing rough that day so i had assumed that william had done something. it was red and the "hole" was wet...no scab..so i put neosporin in it immediately and then 2 more times since. After reading about bots I freaked out last night and didnt reapply the ointment. Today it is dry and it doesnt look as red and there is very little pain to leelee. i'll add photo of todays sore. im somewhere that vets wont treat them...i had one but he moved a few months ago so i will have to go to another state for antibiotics...if thats what ya'll think i should do. I don't care about the drive...I just want my baby to be okay...he's fought long and hard to stay with us and i will do whatever i have to to keep him healthy....thanks again...oh and by the way he is eatting and playing normally... ans still running 100 mph and climbing like a bad butt...lol...it doesn't really seem to bother him....

psychobird
12-04-2010, 08:25 PM
i would give abs if he was in my care just to cover my bases, and hopefully he will leave the wound alone

WILLIAM&LEELEE'SMAMA
12-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Hi Everyone!!! First off Lee Lee is doing well. YAY!!!:wahoo We made the drive over to the neighboring state to the vet and the vet checked Lee Lee out and said it appeared to be the left overs of the bot larva exiting the skin. I was extremely thankful that it was gone already before I applied that neosporin because i thought i had killed the larva (but sad:shakehead that my boy went through that ordeal alone). The vet prescribed some topical SILVER SULFADIAZINE and said it was NOT INFECTED :D !!!! The vet is going to do a phone check in a couple of days 2 see how my boy is doing. I was wondering how Lee was going to do with a new vet....he's not too keen on new folks.......but we got congradulated on being the most well mannered and gentle squirrel he has ever seen!!! :bowdown to Lee Lee for putting on quite the show.....he's RARELY that CALM AT HOME...LOL. I took Lee Lee to lunch at Shoney's for his well behaved visit....:owned . Will keep everyone updated as we try to get this ugly hole healed up....was also told that Lee was a very WELL CARED FOR AND HEALTHY YOUNG MAN :wott :jump
:thankyou for all the input and advice.

Jackie in Tampa
12-07-2010, 03:44 AM
hmmm, can we see a new pic please of that wound ? ty!
glad to hear good news.

Rhapsody
12-07-2010, 07:31 AM
((((((( HUGS ))))))) to you and your little fella - good to hear that you both are doing well. :Love_Icon

island rehabber
12-07-2010, 07:44 AM
The vet prescribed some topical SILVER SULFADIAZINE and said it was NOT INFECTED :D

W&LLM, that stuff is PRICELESS:bowdown-- hold onto that little jar because it's a miracle worker. It can be used on everything from urine scald to infected wounds and the difference within hours is astonishing.

I'm so glad your boy is doing well! :alright.gif

psychobird
12-07-2010, 06:33 PM
oh what a good boy! glad to hear he's healing up well, yucky bot flies thank god i have never seen them first hand *knock on wood!*

mugzeezma
12-07-2010, 06:45 PM
W&LLM, that stuff is PRICELESS:bowdown-- hold onto that little jar because it's a miracle worker. It can be used on everything from urine scald to infected wounds and the difference within hours is astonishing.

I'm so glad your boy is doing well! :alright.gif
Anything silver has amazing healing powers

Rescue04
12-08-2010, 05:01 PM
my hubby and i had to deal with bot flies not long ago. we had to pull the sacks out and clean out the wound by flushing it out with proxide and started them on antibiotics. one baby made it....the other did not. it kinda of looks like the bot flies but it is hard to tell. i would just keep an eye on them. good luck with it!!

psychobird
12-08-2010, 09:20 PM
and where did the bot fly go??? is it in your house?? eek!

mugzeezma
12-08-2010, 09:27 PM
and where did the bot fly go??? is it in your house?? eek!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Why did I have to read this before going to bed!!!!

psychobird
12-08-2010, 09:51 PM
i knowwwwwww!!!

WILLIAM&LEELEE'SMAMA
12-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Thanks to Everyone for the love!!!!! I'll keep this short and sweet....seems my baby boy is still doing good....:wahoo :wahoo.. The "hole" is very clean and dries between applications of the silver, no redness, no tenderness, no fever......still eatting and playing normally :smiley_superman ...hats off to my 12 year old daughter....im thankful she is sooo good with the boys and knows the do's/don'ts because Lee Lee didnt need the antibiotics...MAMA DID!! LUNG INFECTION for me :osnap ...so my baby girl Keeley has been holding our "SQUIRREL FORT" DOWN..:bowdown to Keeley!!! I will post pics ASAP and as far as where that nasty bot fly is :dono ....Keeley has been killing anything she has seen flying (which has been very little) due to severly cold temps. If I ever see that nasty fly i will bring the BIG GUNS :Cannon OUT FOR IT'S BUTT!!!! DEATH TO ALL BOT FLIES!!!!! :tilt Will update again soon...:Love_Icon :Love_Icon to everyone.....NOW BACK TO BED!!

WILLIAM&LEELEE'SMAMA
12-09-2010, 12:55 AM
To Rescue 04: I am soooo sorry for your loss. That is/was my worst fear. I cried all weekend at the thought of losing Lee. I am truely sorry.x_sad

Jackie in Tampa
12-09-2010, 05:22 AM
I am standing on spider bite...I see too many bots for too many years...
that's not BOT!:peace
sorry ..but I am sure!
I realize your sq will be fine either way..I just want to clarify for the publics knowledge.
I am not a vet , but I have seen my share. I tried to be humble, really I did.

Glad to hear better news and improvement.

Rescue04
12-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Well as long as the baby is doing ok that is good. Trust me pulling bot flies out SUCKS! :yuck ......and the smell is OMG horrible, good luck with your baby!