PDA

View Full Version : MBD housing and hydration

Tickle's Mom
11-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Hello all, need some more help with Tickle. (recently diagnosed, 3 years old in January, MBD sq) She is currently being housed in a large acrylic container called a "Wing-a-bago". She is not using her back legs and is dragging them behind her. I have removed the perch so she cannot get hurt but there is no way for her to get hydration except by me. I have put jar lids with water, tiny bowls.....tried all sorts of things. She is not interested at all and makes no effort to go to the water. I take her to work with me, hydrate her every hour, much to her dismay! I put a jar lid with water in before I go to bed and she has yet to touch it. Any ideas on her housing? The aquarium idea is great but available hydration is my big issue. HELP !! And thanks!

pappy1264
11-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Can you somehow hang a water bottle, with a metal cover so she can't chew?

CritterMom
12-01-2010, 02:39 AM
Wingabagos are acrylic, right?

If she isn't chewing, try an inexpensive cat carrier - they usually have a metal grate in the front that you can hang a water bottle on.

Nancy in New York
12-01-2010, 06:23 AM
This may be a suitable alternative and it has 1/2 bar spacing. I would pad the bottom with some fleece and then put paper towels over that here are the dimensions....0.5" Wire Spacing 25" L X 12.5" W X 12.5" H
You can also add a little cube or sack for her to "hide" in. You can adjust the straps (depending on where you place them on the cage) so that it is resting right on the floor, or on the striped one, you can put that right on the floor.
124104 124106 124105

Petco just put in rat cage.

Jackie in Tampa
12-01-2010, 07:01 AM
I have a paralysed sq right now also...
The cage NIN has is a good start...not too high...
and horizontal bars with proper spacing..
Fred is freaking out, Sprinkles will be rolling and playing and one of his legs falls out off cage between wires. Since he doesn't feel his rear legs, we are both worried he will twist and break one soon.
Paranoia...
We are going to build a cage similar to Christine's.

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/551541/20090424/162902.jpg
of course we will use 1/2 x 1/2 wire to prevent his legs from falling out!
Note the different levels, yet no height to fall!
The entire end is a door so all levels can be accessed..
good job Jay and Shannon!:bowdown

Maybe you can build one...:jump

Nancy in New York
12-01-2010, 07:12 AM
I have a paralysed sq right now also...
The cage NIN has is a good start...not too high...
and horizontal bars with proper spacing..
Fred is freaking out, Sprinkles will be rolling and playing and one of his legs falls out off cage between wires. Since he doesn't feel his rear legs, we are both worried he will twist and break one soon.
Paranoia...
We are going to build a cage similar to Christine's.

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/551541/20090424/162902.jpg
of course we will use 1/2 x 1/2 wire to prevent his legs from falling out!
Note the different levels, yet no height to fall!
The entire end is a door so all levels can be accessed..
good job Jay and Shannon!:bowdown

Maybe you can build one...:jump

WOW...nice cage. Love the access door to all levels...:thumbsup

Pierre
12-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Is she getting hydration through the MBD treatment, ie, is she being syringe fed to give her the needed Calcium?

If so, I would think there is a way to ensure she is well hydrated via these feedings.

:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

Tickle's Mom
12-01-2010, 08:01 AM
[QUOTE=Pierre]Is she getting hydration through the MBD treatment, ie, is she being syringe fed to give her the needed Calcium? YES, she is still being fed with the syringe, calcium protocol, banana shakes (thank you Jackie and Ensure (thank you Toma), along with rodent blocks ground up in all feedings. I have ordered Picky Eater blocks also and have a spectrum light on order.

If so, I would think there is a way to ensure she is well hydrated via these feedings. She is BUT, my concern is that she shows no interest in hydration unless I administer. She was used to a water bottle. I see the cage Jackie built and I will see what we can do to build something similar. This is all new to me (and her) and I just don't want to make any mistakes.

Nancy in New York
12-01-2010, 09:55 AM
[QUOTE=Pierre]Is she getting hydration through the MBD treatment, ie, is she being syringe fed to give her the needed Calcium? YES, she is still being fed with the syringe, calcium protocol, banana shakes (thank you Jackie and Ensure (thank you Toma), along with rodent blocks ground up in all feedings. I have ordered Picky Eater blocks also and have a spectrum light on order.

If so, I would think there is a way to ensure she is well hydrated via these feedings. She is BUT, my concern is that she shows no interest in hydration unless I administer. She was used to a water bottle. I see the cage Jackie built and I will see what we can do to build something similar. This is all new to me (and her) and I just don't want to make any mistakes.

Just another thought. If she is taking hydration via syringe...I wonder if she would take Fox Valley formula with the syringe...:thinking Lots of calcium in that....

Tickle's Mom
12-01-2010, 12:37 PM
I owe you all! I have so many wonderful suggestions for Tickle that she is tickled! Or will be! I have unsalted almond butter, FV on order,weenie little sesame seeds, baby wipes for hygiene (that was a great idea). Ideas for cages will be done this weekend for sure and as we speak, she is scooting around my office. Now all I need are chew proof diapers!!
Again, THANK YOU ALL!!!

Jackie in Tampa
12-01-2010, 01:07 PM
ooops, I did not build that cage...Legomoms hubby did...I was somewhat of a part of the cage, but not really. Shannon and Jay looked at my cages and modified the basics to work for the special needs that Christine had/has.
I give them a big gold star...it's a wonderful cage, well thought.:bowdown

I hope that Tickles will take to hydrating herself soon.
I would love to see some pics of the little doll!:Love_Icon

Tickle's Mom
12-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Oh Lordy beeeeee, I can barely navigate and my smiles do not post like everyone else's so....I'll learn that too!! I do see where there is a "how to" post so yes, eventually I will post pics! My boss just walked in and said, "she smells like a squirrel". Baby wipes to the rescue! :D

Jackie in Tampa
12-01-2010, 01:15 PM
on the navy bar above ...User CP is where you can turn on the smilies etc...:thumbsup

Tickle's Mom
12-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Still in her wing-a-bago for now BUT BUT BUT, I found little tiny porcelain crocks and put calcium water in the front corner and food in another crock, other front corner.
Set up the nanny cam - just reviewed and she drank from the crock about 4 am!!!!!!!! I'm sure it will get spilled but until I set up the new housing with a water bottle, this will help ease my mind about hydration! WOOOHOOOO!
Doesn't take much to entertain me does it??

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help!!

Jackie in Tampa
12-02-2010, 09:36 AM
:wott :Love_Icon

Tickle's Mom
12-02-2010, 09:45 AM
We need to add "like" buttons like they have on facebook LOL
I look for like buttons in everything I do now - sick!
Thanks again for speaking with me Jackie last week. :thankyou

pappy1264
12-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Whatever works!! (good girl, drink your h2o for mom!!!)

4quirrelies
12-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Hello all, need some more help with Tickle. (recently diagnosed, 3 years old in January, MBD sq) She is currently being housed in a large acrylic container called a "Wing-a-bago". She is not using her back legs and is dragging them behind her. I have removed the perch so she cannot get hurt but there is no way for her to get hydration except by me. I have put jar lids with water, tiny bowls.....tried all sorts of things. She is not interested at all and makes no effort to go to the water. I take her to work with me, hydrate her every hour, much to her dismay! I put a jar lid with water in before I go to bed and she has yet to touch it. Any ideas on her housing? The aquarium idea is great but available hydration is my big issue. HELP !! And thanks!

If Tickles is dragging her back legs-how do you keep her skin from scrapping off and bleeding? If she is 3 yrs old-has she only recently gotten MBD?

Tickle's Mom
12-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Tickle was given to me the day before Thanksgiving and yes, she had just been diagnosed (by me reading this board and then by a vet) with MBD. She is still in a large acrylic house, still half on a heating pad and when I try to put her in a cage, she freaks out. Even covering three sides.....she freaks out. She drags herself all over the place in the bathroom (heated tile floor) and so far, no sores. I am in the process of having a cage built with ramps, copying Christine's cage on a smaller scale, covering the ramps with fleece. She gets bathed every day and I am watching for urine scald and sores. I am also trying to massage her back legs in hopes of keeping them stimulated...just in case the paralysis reverses itself.

Sorry about the delay in answering your post......

4quirrelies
12-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Thank you for your info. My Winnie doesn't want me touching her so I can't very easily clean her. In my raising them I didn't want them to use to being handled by humans so I don't pick them up,(they freak) I just let them jump on me and explore.When possible I am putting AD ointment on her skin(pea area)after 2 days in a cage she wanted out, spent 2 days in her own sleeping area on the floor then wanted back in the "nest" with her brothers.She has no apparent pain or discomfort and has not only adjusted but is keeping up with her brothers running around.He knee is scraped but scabbed.She seems very normal and wants to be included in everything.My guys sleep in their room on an ironing board under cover and tonight I found Winnie up in the nest on her own! I really don't know how she could have done this! When she wanted in the nest she would leave her sleep area when I came in, go over to the ironing board and sit there looking at me till I got out my "transport board" and gave her the elevator ride to the nest.I am not sure what to do to help her.I read they die from MBD-? I don't see how when she is so adapted, so active and she has only been this way for 3 weeks.Can she ever be released?

Tickle's Mom
12-13-2010, 07:30 AM
I am very NEW to squirrels and very new to MBD so I would read the threads on MBD and rely on the senior members for advice. BUT BUT BUT, in my opinion, they can NEVER be released. If a squirrel is paralyzed, they have NO chance whatsoever of making it outside of a controlled environment. How could they? What you re doing is absolutely wonderful for Winnie....you are her guardian angel. If you cannot keep Winnie, let someone know and a rehabber in your area can be found.

Jackie in Tampa has a paralyzed squirrel also and others on here are a wealth of information and help. I spent days, and still do, reading all I can on paralyzed squirrels and squirrels in general. It's a lot to take in, at least for me. Don't be afraid to ask for help and remember, there are no "stupid" questions.....ever. Sounds like you are doing a lot of correct things for Winnie. In fact, I bought some cream this morning just in case she develops sores! Thank you for that piece of info! :thankyou

Tickle's Mom
12-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Are you making sure Winnie has calcium every day according to the recommendations on MBD? That is very very important.

CritterMom
12-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Are you making sure Winnie has calcium every day according to the recommendations on MBD? That is very very important.

And not just calcium - vitamin D is required so they can process the calcium, and magnesium is also central to bone development, and those two items seem to get short shrift. This is why it is nice if you can get your MBD squirrel on Fox Valley - it supplies the additional vitamins and minerals needed plus more calcium.

Tickle's Mom
12-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Isn't FV part of the MBD protocol? I sure thought so... Tickle still refuses to eat anything good for her on her own...she pees on everything that's good for her :rotfl