PDA

View Full Version : Long intro and general question

SammysMom
11-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Well...here I am another sq lover who is very thankful to all of you who helped us keep our Sammy going for the last couple of months. He was just a little guy of maybe 3-4 weeks when he walked up the sidewalk to my husband. I immediately put him under the tree he had seemingly fallen from for his mom to rescue, but nobody came for him and he persisted in following us. It was dusk so we brought him in and hydrated etc until morning. In the morning we nailed a box to the tree and left him there for mom again while watching from a distance for any activity. He squeaked his head off for mom, but she didn't appear. So after trying local rehabbers to no avail we opted to do it ourselves. Now here we are with a sweet ACTIVE 14 +/- week old baby. He is probably going to have to spend the winter since he hasn't gotten a winter coat in the dining room...lol We are about done with his outdoor release cage, but it is pretty chilly so he will just have time when weather is warmer. Does this sound like it is an okay plan to you experts?

Rhapsody
11-26-2010, 08:38 PM
From what I have read and learned from the experts here on TSB your plan sounds good - :thumbsup

SammysMom
11-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Thank-you Rhapsody! Really want this guy to thrive.

SquirrelsinSingapore
11-27-2010, 10:41 AM
:thumbsup :thumbsup
Thought that was really good move.
Keep us updated and posted, on how little guy is doing
(we want pics):crazy ...
Meanwhile do log on occasionally to get really good tips to raise these little guys...
:wave123
All the best!

virgo062
11-27-2010, 10:55 AM
:thumbsup and:Welcome and:thankyou

SammysMom
11-27-2010, 02:23 PM
I am so happy to have found all of you! Most of all I am thankful that Sammy found us. He had an awful experience today due to our not properly securing a door and setting the alarm. Wind blew open the door and the police came and went through the house. They were freaked out by Sammy and then they were afraid to go out the door because of a begging squirrel that was scaring them...lol They used the welcome mat to wave at him so they could leave. That's when we arrived to the whole police in our driveway scene. After the initial shock it was quite comical to have 2 armed adult men telling us how scary the squirrels were for them...not afraid of burglars, but the squirrels terrified them both.lol

Skul
11-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Overall, that's a pretty funny story.:rotfl

Your plan sounds good.:thumbsup
Be sure to read up on diet when you get a chance.

Get some photos taken.
Those are required.:poke

SammysMom
11-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Oh yes...diet is something we are trying to be careful about. We got HHBs and he gets a wide variety of fruits and veggies. When he weaned after a week or so I notices vague signs of MBD so I stuffed calcium into him and reintroduced formula and he perked right back up. It reinforced what all of you here say about how easy it is for them to have MBD. It was as if he knew he needed the formula too. He had chosen to give it up but ate it ravenously when it was offered again. He now gets outside sunshine and a balanced diet so hopefully danger has passed. Not sure that I was clear that he was inside in his cage during the police incident and it was a wild squirrel that wouldn't let them out of the house.

mugzeezma
11-27-2010, 05:12 PM
I am so happy to have found all of you! Most of all I am thankful that Sammy found us. He had an awful experience today due to our not properly securing a door and setting the alarm. Wind blew open the door and the police came and went through the house. They were freaked out by Sammy and then they were afraid to go out the door because of a begging squirrel that was scaring them...lol They used the welcome mat to wave at him so they could leave. That's when we arrived to the whole police in our driveway scene. After the initial shock it was quite comical to have 2 armed adult men telling us how scary the squirrels were for them...not afraid of burglars, but the squirrels terrified them both.lol
Glad you came to us.
Hopefully any questions you have will be such that we can answer for you :D

Your story absolutely cracked me up!
We had an incident when the blower on the furnace caught fire last winter. Kids squirrels ferret dogs and turtles out on the lawn.
After they cleared the smoke and deemed the place safe we went back in to get some things. I had Mugzi stuffed in my jacket and when he popped out to check on the situation one of the biggest men there jumped out of his skin and squeaked!
His fellow firemen will not let him live that one down for a looooonnnnnggggg time :rotfl

Best Life
11-27-2010, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=SammysMom]Well...here I am another sq lover who is very thankful to all of you who helped us keep our Sammy going for the last couple of months. He was just a little guy of maybe 3-4 weeks when he walked up the sidewalk to my husband......

Hi Sammy's Mom! Nice to meet you. Little Sammy is adorable! :Love_Icon Sounds like you've really done your homework on squirrel care.

Your story sounds so similar to mine. A little neighbor rang my doorbell and handed me a baby squirrel about a month ago that had been following her around outside. (she knew we had fostered squirrels in the past) We, too, tried in vain to locate the mom and looked for any nest or other babies that might be on the ground in need of help. She was skin and bones and had a cold, and THANKS to the info and advise from TSB members, is now healthy and strong and has a foster brother to hang out with!

We'll be "over-wintering" for the first time, too. I've been gathering snippets of info from around TSB about building a larger cage to keep on my enclosed lanai until winter has passed.

Sammy is "sweet"? Lucky you! Mine are sweet, too, until I let them out to play. Then they turn into tiny, evil flying monkeys!! :monkey Just kidding. Perhaps a better description would be "joyously exhuberant". Love them! Linda

SammysMom
11-27-2010, 10:14 PM
yeah...good old "sweet" Sammy was just flying around the living room pulling beads off victorian-type lampshades. Somehow sweet and "evil monkey" is cute when you have a fluffy tail...lol

Scooterzmom
11-28-2010, 01:34 AM
yeah...good old "sweet" Sammy was just flying around the living room pulling beads off victorian-type lampshades. Somehow sweet and "evil monkey" is cute when you have a fluffy tail...lol

Hi sammysmom and welcome aboard :Welcome
Your story just broke me up :rotfl :rotfl
We humans are push-overs for creatures with big sweet brown eyes and fluffly tails ... and they know it too ;) He is GORGEOUSSSSS!!!!

Your story of the firemen reminds me of when the guys came to install new eavestroughs (sp?). One of them was just outside the window of the studio working away and Scooter, inside the studio, was enjoying his get-your-ya-yas-out time of the day. He jumped on the midpart of the guillotine window, face to face with the guy... and just sat there like "Hi fella! I'm Scooter" :) The poor guy nearly fell off his ladder he was so surprised.
I know... I know... :tilt wouldn't have been funny if he did, but ...

Since he did not, now the memory of it is hilarious!!!! :D :rotfl

I mean, the poor fellow was already surrounded by squirrels outside but... the last thing he expected was to come face to face with one on the inside :rotfl