PDA

View Full Version : nails

Indyfan
11-21-2010, 06:03 AM
I chipmunk's nails have grown really big when I first got her a year ago, i didn't know anything about chip so we never gave her anything to reduce the legnth of her nails (I know it's terrible) this means her nails were never reduced in her entire life.
I feel like I'm not taking a good enough care for my girl.
So I hear that rocks are needed to reduce their nails, I read pile of rocks in one corner should do the trick. But I'm not entirely sure
can any of you guys tell me in detail?

Jackie in Tampa
11-21-2010, 06:38 AM
:wave123
can you post pics of her nails...
one of our chippie people may be able to tell you how to maintain nails...
I am clueless...
:Love_Icon

mugzeezma
11-21-2010, 10:11 AM
I chipmunk's nails have grown really big when I first got her a year ago, i didn't know anything about chip so we never gave her anything to reduce the legnth of her nails (I know it's terrible) this means her nails were never reduced in her entire life.
I feel like I'm not taking a good enough care for my girl.
So I hear that rocks are needed to reduce their nails, I read pile of rocks in one corner should do the trick. But I'm not entirely sure
can any of you guys tell me in detail?

you can try wrapping a toilet paper tube inside and out with fine grit sand paper or get the gritty paper and perches used for birds.
If the nails are causing her toes to deform you may need to take her to a vet for a trim.

Indyfan
11-22-2010, 06:54 PM
:wave123
can you post pics of her nails...
one of our chippie people may be able to tell you how to maintain nails...
I am clueless...
:Love_Icon

I have a cheap camera that cannot take a good photo without the flash. Chips/squirrels are very fragile animals is camera flash safe to use on them?

Scooterzmom
11-22-2010, 08:06 PM
I actually have always used a perch for large parrots, the kind to keep their nails trimmed; pardon the description but I can't think of any other way to describe it :o - looks sorta like a big rough cement dildo with a screw and winged bolt and caps on the end (to fasten it to the bars of the cage).

I had that in Scooter's cage since he was a baby and I never had to trim his nails in the over 2 years of his life. Now Hami has one, slightly smaller, in his cage too and it's doing the job just fine. I've attached it to the side of the cage near the door.. so, that way, he does hop on it often.

Herečs a pic... you can see it on the right of the picture. 123488

Indyfan
11-29-2010, 02:11 AM
you can try wrapping a toilet paper tube inside and out with fine grit sand paper or get the gritty paper and perches used for birds.
If the nails are causing her toes to deform you may need to take her to a vet for a trim.

what's the difference between sandpaper and fine grit sandpaper?

mugzeezma
11-29-2010, 07:05 AM
what's the difference between sandpaper and fine grit sandpaper?

The size of the actual stone (Quartz, garnet, emery, carborundum) that is glued to the backing paper determines the grit.

I would go to the pet store and purchase grit paper used for birds. It looks a lot like beach sand on paper...and it probably is...quartz

Anne
11-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Good advice Scooterzmom, but-:jump :jump :jump :jump

CritterMom
11-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Good advice Scooterzmom, but-:jump :jump :jump :jump

Yup - just blew seltzer through my nose.

mugzeezma
11-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Yup - just blew seltzer through my nose.
OMG!
I can't believe I read right over that 1
Man that's gotta hurt!