PDA

View Full Version : Intro's Joey and Rose and a quick question

cm12341234
11-17-2010, 05:33 PM
HI
Joey is 2-3 years old ( out and about the whole cage )
Rose is 11-12 weeks ( aquarium protection )

Joey is agressive towards her \ How long till they get along ?
I have read many forums/found very little on how long intro's take. What I have seen in a month or longer
chris

working on images

fatkitty111
11-17-2010, 07:50 PM
What type of squirrels do you have?

mugzeezma
11-17-2010, 08:13 PM
What type of squirrels do you have?
That would certainly help. Are they the same species?
They may never 'get along' but they may be able to coexist in the same area. I wouldn't put them together for for at least another month or two. She needs to be big enough to defend herself.
Your older squirrel may be jealous of her as well so be careful of that. You can place their cages next to each other but at least 6" apart if we're talking about Grey squirrels here. They can hurt each other through cage bars if too close.
I wouldn't introduce them during mating season either. He may chase her to death out of territorialism as much as anything. So sooner than later but not too soon. Baby needs to grow up.

cm12341234
11-18-2010, 02:34 PM
they are flying squirrels ....When is mating season? I want to keep them far apart when that time come ......no babies here for several years

cm12341234
11-18-2010, 02:39 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=166149893419511&set=a.166149570086210.32835.100000735045850
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=166149586752875&set=a.166149570086210.32835.100000735045850
that is Joey

fatkitty111
11-18-2010, 03:51 PM
I can not see the pictures, you will have to find a new way to post them for us :)

Are they southern flying squirrels? You may be able to introduce them when the little one gets older, but for now keep her away from him as she is still so young. If you do not want babies then you are going to need a separate cage. Under specific breeds there is a section for flying squirrels, you may want to post this question under that. I don't know too much about southern flying squirrels.

mugzeezma
11-18-2010, 05:13 PM
they are flying squirrels ....When is mating season? I want to keep them far apart when that time come ......no babies here for several years

I will PM some of our FSq people for you.
Are you in the US or UK? Hard to tell from your location.
Our Southern flyers live in social groups so there is a greater possibility of getting along AND breeding...of sourse you could always send the babies to me :D
Can't seem to pull up your pix BTW

Jackie in Tampa
11-18-2010, 06:15 PM
flyers are much easier than greys to unite and live in harmony...
they are communal critters...
in the wild and in the cold winter they willl klump together in a big ball, and the warm insiders will move to the outside of the ball until they lose their heat and then they rotate again...smmmmaaaarrrrtttt little big eyed beauties!
I have 25 plus flyers...and when a newbie joins, it's so easy...very seldom are there any problems...
they live together peacefully and magically...
a night time joy!
I love the flyers!
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16249&highlight=florida+flyer+habitat

my flyers are not pets anymore, some were once pets that have been rehomed...some I raised from pinkies...and all of them love me and molest me nightly...I have left without my shirt before...had to...they would not let me leave!:jump
:osnap
but it's a real riot...
I would wait until she is totally acclimated to the house, the life style, the newness of each other...and let her watch you play with him...
have them close{same room} different cages...
and one night when all appears well, let them out at same time with parental guidance!:D
good luck, have fun and WELCOME TO TSB!!!!!:Welcome :wave123

Skul
11-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Joey is being a bit territorial.
I think Rose is still a bit young (and probably small) to put them together at this time.
I might suggest placing her in her own cage, and place that close to Joey's.
It's going to take a bit of time for him to warm up to her.
Patience is the key.

In a couple months, Rose may come into her first estrus.
Be aware of that, and make sure to keep them seperated.
If Joey starts paying a lot of attention to her before that, seperate then.

Have fun.:D