PDA

View Full Version : Raccoon nutrition

m&bs mom
11-13-2010, 09:21 AM
I know there are some coonie people out here and don't know where else to ask...I have aquired a 6 month old raccoon that was being raised as a pet. She has been spoiled rotten. Will NOT touch any veggies and came to me with hotdogs,bologna,vanilla icecream and marshmellows. She is huge but I would like to know if there is a fox valley milk replacer that I could try her on?

I am getting ready to order some for the 3+ month old squirrel that still takes 60ccs each day and thougt if there was something for this very fat coon I would try it.

We were given her because the finders have kept her in their garage since she was about 3 weeks old and they have no heat in there. She has very little survival skills for outdoors so I will winter her and hope for a late spring release...This is not our first coon however I am not sure she will ever wild up. It is our hope that she will...time will tell.

mugzeezma
11-13-2010, 09:37 AM
I know there are some coonie people out here and don't know where else to ask...I have aquired a 6 month old raccoon that was being raised as a pet. She has been spoiled rotten. Will NOT touch any veggies and came to me with hotdogs,bologna,vanilla icecream and marshmellows. She is huge but I would like to know if there is a fox valley milk replacer that I could try her on?

I am getting ready to order some for the 3+ month old squirrel that still takes 60ccs each day and thougt if there was something for this very fat coon I would try it.

We were given her because the finders have kept her in their garage since she was about 3 weeks old and they have no heat in there. She has very little survival skills for outdoors so I will winter her and hope for a late spring release...This is not our first coon however I am not sure she will ever wild up. It is our hope that she will...time will tell.

40/25 is what's recommended on the FV site

http://www.orphanedwildlifecare.com/raccooncare.htm#19

I think you need to throw some cat chow mixed with meat for this one.
Wow you have a job on your hands with this one trying to get it's diet changed and wilded up.
Why are people so stupid?

astra
11-13-2010, 09:51 AM

Gosh... for real... people shouldn't be eating that junk, let alone animals...

The Skuls had raccoons, I believe, and Nature's Gift just released one. They might be very helpful

m&bs mom
11-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Sorry...I did forget to mention that she does eat cat food.

I have had her for almost a week and she loves people which in reality is a very bad thing. They did try to release her a couple of times but she would not leave. She is now in a 14x12 area in the heated garage. We had no plans to take in another raccoon...but what could I do!

I will try the fox valley that was you suggested...I don't know if it's a good idea or a bad one? Do you guys think I should try it or just try to fix the diet issue itself? She will not even eat a can of tuna and have tried her with some shrimp but used that as a play toy. Suggestions??

astra
11-13-2010, 10:49 AM

I have had her for almost a week and she loves people which in reality is a very bad thing. They did try to release her a couple of times but she would not leave. She is now in a 14x12 area in the heated garage. We had no plans to take in another raccoon...but what could I do!

I will try the fox valley that was you suggested...I don't know if it's a good idea or a bad one? Do you guys think I should try it or just try to fix the diet issue itself? She will not even eat a can of tuna and have tried her with some shrimp but used that as a play toy. Suggestions??
again, have no raccoon experience, but as I thought of it...

I am sure, nutrition is as important for 'pet' raccoons as it is for 'pet' squirrels who may experience nutritional deficiencies if not fed properly. They need their vitamins and minerals in order to be healthy. I don't know if raccoons incur diseases caused by nutrient deficiency, e.g. like MBD, but, maybe, there is something similar - raccoon experts will tell.
But in any case, no living thing can function and be well on processed meat and ice cream.

So, I'd, personally, think that it's worth a try. Jackie in Tampa has been able to tough-loved some squirrels into good eating habits successfully. So, it might work with a 6mth old raccoon, too.:thinking

mugzeezma
11-13-2010, 11:00 AM

It can't hurt to try.
cut out the junk food diet and try to get her closer to what she should be eating. It definitely won't happen over night.

Set a one pound bag and try it. At 6 months...:thinking
Mix it with fruit yogurt to make a thick and fruity shake.
Do you live anywhere you can catch crayfish?
If you have kids around you may be able to employ them if there is a creek nearby. I think the novelty may spur her instincts.
You may try some feeder gold fish in a small baby pool or even in a shallow pan.
What about a raw egg? We give those to the coons as well as ground horse meat mixed in with the kibble. Crack the egg at first but leave the shell. Also set out melon and grapes. It's a sad day when a coon turns down grapes!. Lean more towards the fruit than the veg

You can also try putting healthy treats inside one of those hollow KONG dog toysfor enrichment.

Skul
11-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Not much I can add to the other advice.
We also used dry cat and dog food.
(Keep a water dish handy.)
Old George loved grapes. He was a wild that would beside me on the porch, and eat them with me.
Other items of interest include nuts and some larger seeds.
I know pecans are well recieved.
Left-over chicken is OK, if not spicey.

The FV would be good. You won't be able to feed with a syringe, so a shallow bowl is the way to go.
He'll probably spill that anyway.:rotfl
Maybe a heavy, wide bottomed dog dish would stop that.:thinking

m&bs mom
11-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks everyone. We do offer both cat and dog food...she likes the cat food best. We have also given her scrambled eggs but will add a raw egg with her dry cat food...thats going to be a mess!

I have tried different nuts...didn't like them. I know this diet needs to be fixed ASAP. I will order the fox valley for her and at least try it, I have nothing to loose.

When I say a pet I really mean this! Rocky wags her tail like a dog, loves to be held like a baby and lick you till her mouth goes dry. While it makes taking care of her easy for us, I am very worried about her future. I hope she can learn to be "wild" enough to be a spring/summer release.

We purchased a dog self watering dish, the largest they make. She has not figured out how to knock that over...yet! I have faith that she soon will.

Again thank you for all of the responses.

NaturesGift
11-13-2010, 09:55 PM
your best course of action to ensure her survival out in the wild is to break her of "needing" ppl.

Keep her where she will have very little human contact. (you may need to set aside a large cage or room for her. ) What is she in now?

Basically your mission is to feed her as healthy food as possible but dont make her dependant on you. Give her automatic feeders for her kibble and water. But keep an eye to make sure she has both.

Only feed her early morning (as early as possible) and after sunset. Providing her with a variety of fruits and veggies and meat. Go to your local pets stores and you can ask for any fish/birds/ that pass away. (unless they have known issues)(fish/birds die of stress..petstores are stressful)(They should freeze them and have a certain day for trash pickup) Also feeding them frozen pinkies (harsh I know but if your gonna do it do it right) Is very very healthy,

Dont offer tons of meat as they are mostly herbivores.

eggs are AWESOME! give FV in a bowl.

DO not cuddle or snuggle her. If she approaches well your in her cage stomp ur feet and "growl" at her. She has to know it is not ok to use you as a human tree.

You may think your being mean but your saving her in the long run.

Over time you will see her stop approaching you. Keeping her on the "nocturnal" feedings will get her to start acting the way she should. She needs to sleep all day.

Just remember what ever you keep her in. Coons are destructive! Do not let her run your house..your couches..beds.. floors ..walls.. can and will be destroyed.

stimulate her mind without her conecting it to you. She needs things to climb on..water to play in. A kiddie pool or something like it with some rocks...crayfish..fish.. would keep her busy. dog toys can also be given.As well as Feather cat toys.. (very fun):D

Hiding treats is also a good Idea.

Good luck!!

Mandie

Squirrelis
11-13-2010, 10:27 PM
You know so much about racoons Mandie-had a couple questions about an albino racoon "Whitey" that lives in the woods behind my house.
She comes out almost everyday in the afternoon -checking out the place where I put birdfood and seeds/nuts for squirrels. I always feel bad for her so I go out there and throw her some bread or a banana. My patio squirrel sounds the alarm when Whitey appears--will the racoon try to get at my squirrel? She is a release squirrel that decided living in the patio with your own private squirrel door is better than the trees:crazy
Should I discourage Whitey from hanging around by not feeding her-she really is quite unique and cute. I just want my squirrely to be safe.
what do you think? how about the roundworm issue-can squirrely get sick from the racoon?
thanks!:thankyou

NaturesGift
11-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Coons are messy..poop in one area..but it gets on their paws..the same paws that touch your feeders. And yes this could spread the roundworm to your squirrels.

I wouldnt worry about the coon attacking your squirrel.. tho the birds you feed she may make a snack out of them. As well as they are known to rob nests both birds and squirrels. So I would not encourage her to stay around also you wouldnt want her finding away into your patio.

THo I want a pic!! I love Albinos! We saw a dead albino coon hit by a car:shakehead It was sad.

Squirrelis
11-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks Mandie:thankyou I will try and get a pic of her and post it--no more free meals for Whitey. It's funny, she brought her baby racoons around months ago, there were three-I nicknamed them -Whitey and the
:D Woo Tan Clan--anywho, they all three were regular color racoons(black/white) funny how none were albino like her.

NaturesGift
11-13-2010, 10:45 PM
That odd her genes must be weaker. Im sure if she bred with another coon that carried the Albino Genes shed have White kids.