PDA

View Full Version : Is he already weaning himself?

griffen19
11-11-2010, 10:16 PM
My 8wk foxy is doing very well. He's eating his rodent block, a little apple and banana, cucumber and lettuce..though not very much of it yet. I've noticed that he is getting distracted during his formula feedings. All he wants to do is run around and play. :) Today I fed him in the morning the usual full 12ml, then at noon he was much more interested in playing at his next feeding time and only took a few sips. But he did eat his shell pecans and some cucumber and rodent block. I decided to let him tire himself out and try again later. But he only took a ml or two a couple hours later and continued to screw around. He just is a ball of energy...he couldn't be weaning himself already, right?

griffen19
11-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I would really appreciate some info on the weaning issue...
Thank you!

mugzeezma
11-12-2010, 11:46 PM
I would really appreciate some info on the weaning issue...
Thank you!
He may be telling you that he's too busy to eat. feed him AM and PM.
Add rat black to his diet ASAP. No nuts yet You want him solid on ratblock.
For now you can get the SunSeed, Oxbow Regal Rat, Mazuri, KayTee FortiDiet Plus... Soak it in Formula like soggy cereal and let him slurp it up.
what formula are you using?

Rhapsody
11-13-2010, 12:05 AM
I have a squirrel that will be 8 weeks this Thursday and he only drinks his formula two times a day now (morning and evening) rest of the time he eats his hhb with an assortment of mixed vegetables and romaine lettuce - nuts served after lunch and dinner is finished.

mugzeezma
11-13-2010, 12:23 AM
I have a squirrel that will be 8 weeks this Thursday and he only drinks his formula two times a day now (morning and evening) rest of the time he eats his hhb with an assortment of mixed vegetables and romaine lettuce - nuts served after lunch and dinner is finished.

Some animals wean around 10-12 weeks. I like to keep them going as long as possible.
Instead of feeding lettuce, cut up some kale, broccoli, green beans, snap peas, brussels sprouts...MUSHROOMS, AVOCADOS<<< even cut up bits of tomato
Squirrels LOVE variety and it's good for them
the check out lady at the grocery store will love you when you buy 3 brussel sprouts and 1 zuchinni!

Rhapsody
11-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Yeah I get looks and comments all the time at the gorcery store when I only buy one of this and one of that and two of some thing else lol, but at least little Picasso eats 20 cc twice a day so he is doing good with that and his veggies / hhb. :thumbsup

griffen19
11-13-2010, 01:02 AM
Well thank you but...maybe I wasn't clear? He HAS been eating rodent block quite a bit and for a while now. There is no need to soak it in formula, he does perfectly fine. He is a chewer, so I give him 1 nut with the shell slightly cracked once a day, it keeps him busy. The rest is greens and a little fruit. And I do only feed him first thing in the morning then in the evening. He is on fox valley of course.

mugzeezma
11-13-2010, 08:13 AM
Well thank you but...maybe I wasn't clear? He HAS been eating rodent block quite a bit and for a while now. There is no need to soak it in formula, he does perfectly fine. He is a chewer, so I give him 1 nut with the shell slightly cracked once a day, it keeps him busy. The rest is greens and a little fruit. And I do only feed him first thing in the morning then in the evening. He is on fox valley of course.
The rodent block and formula are for afternoon...you can also make what we call BooBalls which contain 1part block 1p formula and just enough fruit sauce to make a paste.
Usually people feed 2 feeding morning and before bed, hence the confusion. You can try that if your schedule allows.
Our babies at the wildlife center are on gruel and block after weaning and until they are ready for the outdoor prerelease pens and wilding up.
Sorry for the misunderstanding
You can also add green branches to his diet.
Squirrels consume the cambium layer. It's a major part of their winter diet.