PDA

View Full Version : New Here

MoonShadow1
11-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Hello everyone. I'm glad I found this board. I've been reading it off and on for a few days now. It's been very informative and helpful to me.

I have a baby squirrel I recently rescued and because of this board I feel she is on track to being a happy, healthy young squirrel.

A little bit of a back story...

I live out in the woods, on roughly 14 acres, most of which is wooded, the actual yard is very small... Sunday afternoon my puppies were outside in the pen behind my house barking and carrying on about something. They are young, only 14 wks, so I just thought they were playing with each other. Finally I went out to see what they were barking at, and there was a baby squirrel just sitting on the ground a few feet away from their pen. I went out and the baby ran off a few feet a way, I do have 2 cats, so I brought them inside so they would not bother the baby.. never saw any adult squirrel around with it.. but eventually it disappeared so I assumed it's mother came back for it.

Well Monday afternoon the puppies were again going crazy, barking and yapping like young puppies do... so I went out to check on them.. and this time I saw they were chasing something.. I went outside and saw the baby squirrel hiding under the steps behind my house INSIDE the puppies pen... I reach down and grabbed the baby and put it down on the ground outside of the pen.... and it just sat there. I watched it for a probably 10 minutes from inside the house and it never moved... so I went back outside and reached down to the baby with my hand.... it jumped right up on my hand and climbed up my sleeve and sat on my shoulder.....

So I took the baby inside to check it over (I'm pretty sure it's a female) to make sure she had no injuries... and other than being slimmed from the puppies, she has no injuries.. no bites, no punctures... but was a little on the skinny side.. so I got out a heating pad for her to warm her up and started searching for information on caring for baby squirrels.. which led me to this site.

Based on photos and info I've read on here, I'm guessing she is around 6 wks old. I've bought goats milk for her to start, and made formula for her... but I plan to order the fox valley stuff for her tomorrow (pay day)... Monday and Tuesday I couldn't get her to eat much, but today she is like a totally different baby. She is VERY active now and is eating very well from a syringe. Actually she is adorable when she eats, she wraps her little paws around the syringe and just sucks it down... and she is now eating about 9 cc's at one time.

I've also bought some good veggies and nuts (suggestions I've read on this site).. but she isn't to interested in those just yet.. though she is starting to chew on them.. not really eating them though, though she is getting a nice little belly on her now (she was pretty skinny when I first brought her in on Monday)...

I've hand raised puppies in the past.. so I have the syringes, heating pads... I'm used to having to feed frequently.. so it's not been an issue, plus I've worked at vet clinics for 9 yrs ...though I'm sure squirrels get to be MUCH more work as they get older, this baby is a sweetheart. She loves to climb on my shoulders and is sitting in my lap as I type this.

I'll post a few pictures I took of her on Monday.. any suggestions would be greatly welcomed. I have to say this is the strangest thing I've ever seen. A wild baby just willingly jump up on my hand and climb up my sleeve to my shoulder like some tame pet would have done.... but I know if I would have left her out there, she would have died.. she was skinny and I know a cat would have gotten her. I've kept her away from all other animals (cats and dogs) as I do plan to release her back out once she is older and ready...

I'll try to do more pictures in a day or two..

http://i54.tinypic.com/2eb62r7.jpg
Pic taken within a few minutes of bringing her inside..

http://i55.tinypic.com/2qn37tz.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/20gbjvt.jpg

mpetys
11-11-2010, 12:26 AM
She's very cute. It looks like you are doing a great job with her.

Michele

Jackie in Tampa
11-11-2010, 03:49 AM
:Welcome :wave123
she's gorgeous!
Thank you for doing the right thing...:bowdown
be careful, sqs have a way about them, it maybe too late...
you are probably already in love and haven't realized it yet...:Love_Icon
we love pics...and need new ones daily!:D

lilidukes
11-11-2010, 05:15 AM
:Welcome You have been chosen to be blessed with a squirrels love:thumbsup

stosh2010
11-11-2010, 06:12 AM
A WARM & Heartfelt WELCOME... .and thank you for rescuing that Little One.
Wait till the Fox valley gets there--She will really PLUMP UP !! HA !

I 'm in Costa Rica and my Rama Rota says HOLA !-He is the KING of Costa Rica and he commands you to Come visit his thread.
Great pictures---we need more.... ( we are ALL photo junkies -on TSB.)

JakesLittlePrincess
11-11-2010, 06:54 AM
She is so adorable! Love the pics!
:Welcome

island rehabber
11-11-2010, 07:17 AM
MoonShadow1, you get the Squirrel Board award of the week for being the Perfect First-Time Squirrel Finder :bowdown :thumbsup. You did everything right! (Why can't they all be like you.......:D)

Keep a very close watch for other babies out there. When there is one on the ground this young, it generally means their mamma didn't return and they all left the nest in hunger and desperation. You may see brothers or sisters out there too......

As for climbing you like a tree, it's what baby squirrels do when they really, really need help! It's also what saves their lives, most of the time, because we notice them. Welcome to the enchanting world of squirrels....you'll be hooked if you're not already. :rotfl

MoonShadow1
11-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks everyone!!

I am really starting to love this little thing!! She has such a great personality. I'll attach a couple new photos of her I took this morning. I think you can already notice a huge difference in her, just 3 days later...

She LOVES to sit on my shoulder and crawl back and forth to shoulder to shoulder, though now she has been trying to go from my shoulder and taking a leap to my head lol

Currently I have her in a small airline dog crate. I hope this is ok?? As I really wasn't expecting to have a squirrel, this is the first thing I could think to put her in. It's a small, 200 size, has a heating pad and bedding for her to crawl under... which she does soon as I put her back in. Actually she loves going in her crate she leaps right off my hand and goes to the back and curls up under the bedding to sleep...

I have looked for more babies, but so far I haven't found any. We do have a lot of squirrels that live in the woods behind the house.... and the tree she was walking around under the first day I saw her has had families of squirrels living it before.. but I have NEVER seen babies this young out. Usually by the time I see them, they just look like small adults... where this is still a young baby... but I'll keep my eye out for more babies...

Anyway.. on to the pictures....

http://i55.tinypic.com/2mg2jyx.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/m8elw7.jpg

Her tail looks bushier in these pics than it actually is... and she still needs a name!! I'm horrible at coming up with names for puppies, I'll never think of anything good for a squirrel! LOL

lilidukes
11-11-2010, 08:12 AM
My daughter thinks she looks like a Sophie.

Great job!:crazy

little susie
11-11-2010, 08:44 AM
I think she looks like a Rachel.:thumbsup God bless ya for helping such loves.:jump

juliew9855
11-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !

stosh2010
11-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks everyone!!

Her tail looks bushier in these pics than it actually is... and she still needs a name!! I'm horrible at coming up with names for puppies, I'll never think of anything good for a squirrel! LOL
She looks like a PELUSA to me
( It means FUZZY in Spanish)

************************************************** *******************************************
Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING ( of Costa Rica )

mugzeezma
11-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !

Be sure to bring pix with you nest time!!

:Welcome all of you

STOXH that is a sweet name...got my vote
Ultimately the little girl will tell you her name...I had mine for almost 2 weeks before we actually called them the same thing more than twice...other than boy and girly :D
Listen closely and she will whisper it in your ear.

Scooterzmom
11-13-2010, 12:19 AM
She's so totally adorable! How about Hope??? For what she found in you and what her future holds now...

For nesting in their cage I found that even a shoebox works just fine or any cardboard box. It's not a longterm solution but it works fine for a couple of weeks or more :) since they like to be "sheltered"; the size you choose depends on her own of course, maybe even a shoebox for boots (slightly larger than a regular shoebox) You place it turned upside down and with a door cut at one end and another on the side (so she'll feel she has an emergency exit in case of any imaginary predator :) ) it works just fine lined with some fleece and paper towels.

She's such a real sweetheart. Bless your soul for doing right by her. You found an angel and you'll see that your life will never be the same for it... even after you'll release her. :) Squirrels have a way of making us feel better about ourselves.

Rhapsody
11-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Hi and Welcome to the Board.... :wave123

virgo062
11-13-2010, 09:05 AM
:Welcome She is a beauty....How about "Blackie"?

Penny
11-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Hello, welcome to this site. I just joined myself 2 days ago, love it here!

I have a 3year male squirrel and have raised many others.

Before feeding her anything, make sure she is hydrated!

One of the most important things and first things you need to check is for dehydration. Gently pinch the back of her neck or anywhere to see if the skin snaps back fast or slow. Slower being more dehydrated.

This is a solution I made for my squirrels when he was first rescued and dehydrated. It's very safe and very effective.

http://www.squirrel-rehab.org/rehabinfo/infantfeeding.html

Check out that website. It has tons of information. Hope this helped.

Congrats on the lil' one, SHE IS ADORABLE!!! :Welcome

SquirrelsinSingapore
11-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Hi
Oh keep us posted of the baby's progress
her latest pic, hows her character developing, her squirrel habits, etc,,
:camera

MoonShadow1
11-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Hi
Oh keep us posted of the baby's progress
her latest pic, hows her character developing, her squirrel habits, etc,,
:camera

Sorry, I need to post new pictures. She is doing very well now. She has been on Fox Valley formula for about 4 days now, and honestly she doesn't seem to like it, but she is doing better.. each time she seems to want to eat more. (She was eating like a little pig on the goat milk formula)... I did mix the two for a few feedings, but now she is on pretty much straight FV.

She has a great little personality. VERY active now. Still loves to climb all over me, but she also loves to climb all over the branches and things in her cage.... but when I go into the room to her, she always comes to the door of her cage to greet me.

I'll try to post some new pictures soon!!

LMoS
11-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Shes adorable :) and Thank You for giving her all that love and everything else you've done for her... you have my deepest respect.

jamec9869
11-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Hi! I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thank

MoonShadow1
12-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted for a long time, but just wanted to update everyone on the baby squirrel I found.

I found her early November, less than a month ago. At the time it was guessed that she was 6-7 wks old. She is doing fantastic!!

She gets her FV formula twice a day now, as she basically refuses to eat it more than that. But she does eat lettuce, green beans, broccoli, apples, grapes...etc..etc..etc.. some nuts. She also gets her Henry's health blocks.

I think she is doing great, and looking fantastic. She is starting to get a really nice full bushy tail now. She is VERY active and very bonded with me. I am pretty much the only person who has handled her. She has been around a couple other people though.

When I walk into the room her cage is in, she instantly jumps on the door of her cage waiting for me to open the door. When I open the door, she jumps from the door right to me shoulder.. and makes a purring noise... she is a VERY good jumper, and when she gets really excited she is so fun to watch. She'll jump back and forth from me to her cage, to me to her cage... she is so cute!!

I need to post some new pictures I took of her... will TRY to do that tonight.

Because I have NO other cage big enough for her, she is currently in a large 500 dog vari kennel. I know it's not ideal, as she could easily chew through it if she wanted to (hasn't done it yet).... but I'm working on getting her a large wire mess cage made.... but I do have tree branches all through her current cage, so she can climb and chew, as well as a hammock and a nest area for her.... so she seems happy.... When I am home most of the time she is out of the cage with me anyway.

Anyway, just thought I'd update everyone on my baby squirrel!! She is a beautiful animal!!