PDA

View Full Version : My squirrel seems sick

Squirrley
11-10-2010, 04:11 PM
I have 3 baby squirrels approx. 5 1/2 weeks, eyes are open. 2 of the squirrels are fine and healthy. The little one is sick looking. He is only about 1/3 the size of the other 2 squirrels. He doesn't seem to want as much to eat as the others, but does eat a little. At times he will take as much as 5cc's and other times he only wants a couple of drops of formula. He has not developed hair on the tip of his tail, but the rest of his tail is filling out slowly. His hair is not as thick as the others as well. They are on the Esbalic formula and has been since they were about 1 1/2 weeks.
Any sugestions?

Milo's Mom
11-10-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm not sure I have the answer to your question, but I do know that there are MAJOR problems with Esbilac since they changed the manufacturing process. Fox Valley is FAR superior, smells great, tastes great (so the squirrels tell me), and has produced MANY happy healthy squirrels. Also, you may want to post this under Non-Life Threatening so that it gets a little more attention.
Do you know how much the little guy weighs?
Do you have all of them on heat? (heating pad on low 1/2 under the container they are in)
How often are you feeding them?

Milo's Mom
11-10-2010, 06:14 PM
I also downsized your pics so others can see them a little better.122488

mugzeezma
11-10-2010, 06:14 PM
I have 3 baby squirrels approx. 5 1/2 weeks, eyes are open. 2 of the squirrels are fine and healthy. The little one is sick looking. He is only about 1/3 the size of the other 2 squirrels. He doesn't seem to want as much to eat as the others, but does eat a little. At times he will take as much as 5cc's and other times he only wants a couple of drops of formula. He has not developed hair on the tip of his tail, but the rest of his tail is filling out slowly. His hair is not as thick as the others as well. They are on the Esbalic formula and has been since they were about 1 1/2 weeks.
Any sugestions?
Are these siblings?
I would switch him to FoxValley 32/40 formula with Ultraboost. ASAP!
Nick will get to you !
Can you get a Fecal float done?
Do you have a squirrel friendly vet?
If you don't I can ask someone if you can overnight mail a sample for testing.
Any signs of trauma when they were found?
Do you feel any abnormal lumps and bumps?
How are his energy levels...he looks depressed.
Does he move oddly, tilt his head to one side, stumble?
There are so many reasons for 'Failure to Thrive'.
One of them may be congenital.
I would do the fecal float AND get him on FV + Ultraboost
Esbilac without heavy cream added is inadequate.

Pierre
11-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi!

There are many better suited here to give you advice, but I have read a lot of stories that babies have died on the newly formulated Esbilac.

Until you get some Fox Valley [it's very inexpensive BTW] and/or the Ultra Boost, here is a great recipe to feed that's better than the Esbilac:

1 cup goatsmilk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup dannon all natural vanilla yogurt

Your little one might not be getting the nutrients he needs from the Esbilac. I would go out tonight and get the above ingredients. Your little one looks quite skinny. :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

More help is surely on the way [perhaps re-post your question in Life Threatening or Non-Life Threatening to get more rehabbers eyes quickly.]

CritterMom
11-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Pierre has given you good advice.

Esbilac used to be the gold standard for raising squirrels, providing it was boosted with added heavy cream. Last year they changed their manufacturing process in such a way that made it very difficult to completely dissolve and thus be digested. It LOOKS like it is dissolved, but it isn;t and so all of the nutrients just rush through and are not utilized by the baby.

Fox Valley is designed for squirrels and other wildlife, not for puppies. It is also less expensive. The fastest way to get it is from www.henryspets.com. She is a member here. Tell her it is an emergency and she will rush it out to you. You can also get wonderful syringes and nipples from her. She ships USPS so even her next day shipping is not terribly expensive - and the Fox Valley formula is LESS EXPENSIVE than the esbilac.

In the meantime, buy a small carton of heavy whipping cream with 17% milkfat at the grocery store. If you are doing 2 parts water to 1 part esbilac powder, NOW do 1-3/4 part water, 1/4 part heavy cream and 1 part esbilac powder. Mix it up and store in the fridge for at least several hours before feeding (8 hours is recommended).

Play with temperature. Try heating it up a little more - some like it hot! If it is time to eat and he is empty but will only take a few drops, try again, hotter, a few minutes later.

But please buy the Fox Valley and slowly transition him to that (never change food all at once).

mugzeezma
11-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Are these siblings?
I would switch him to FoxValley 32/40 formula with Ultraboost. ASAP!
Nick will get to you !
Can you get a Fecal float done?
Do you have a squirrel friendly vet?
If you don't I can ask someone if you can overnight mail a sample for testing.
Any signs of trauma when they were found?
Do you feel any abnormal lumps and bumps?
How are his energy levels...he looks depressed.
Does he move oddly, tilt his head to one side, stumble?
There are so many reasons for 'Failure to Thrive'.
One of them may be congenital.
I would do the fecal float AND get him on FV + Ultraboost
Esbilac without heavy cream added is inadequate.

Fox Valley is in Illinois. I don't know if Henry's carries the UltraBoost.

http://www.foxvalleynutrition.com/main/home.asphttp://www.foxvalleynutrition.com/main/home.asp

32/40 and UltraBoost

I wouldn't mess around with changing to goats milk if you're going to switch.
this baby is frail for some reason so keep it simple.
What are you giving for starting solids?

Squirrley
11-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks for so many replies. I have had them on the Esbalic 2 part water, 1 part Esbalic and heavy whipping cream. I have now added yogart for the little one and he is eating again. All 3 are siblings, they fell out of the tree that was being cut down, 2 remained in the nest as it fell but the little one had fallen out. He does wobble when he walks but does not seem to tilt his head in any direction. I named him figgit cause he figgits so much.

PDXErik
11-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Esbilac sucks and kills squirrels.

FV ASAP