PDA

View Full Version : Long term care of brain injured squirrel

naturelady1
11-09-2010, 07:17 PM
My first post on these threads. I have been visiting here since last April when I raised and successfully released five grey squirrels. In mid August I wound up with two more, rescued from a chipper that the limbs from their nest trees were going through. Unfortunately one of the squirrels was injured from being smacked around. Her little head was swollen, as well as one eye (neither of their eyes were open when I got them). I wanted to keep both squirrels together so they had each other as "buddies". It soon became apparent that my squirrely girl with the head injury had brain damage as well...affectionately speaking, "all four paws were never going to meet the tree". She was doing well, adapting to partial blindness,some balance issues and some other small quirks. I wanted the two girls to play and cuddle, etc, but unfortunately she just couldn't figure out how to play back, and I became the playmate for the healthy squirrel. (I fussed and fretted over this, for I was afraid that it would affect her eventual release. To my delight,it didn't. She has left her outside cage, and built a nest in the cedars along side my house. Since it was late in the season here, I made the committment to feed all winter. She comes to my patio area a few times a days for a few moments of play, and then off to bury nuts.)
Back to my problem child, Sunshine (which seems so much kinder than MonsterHead, but her head really does look more than a little odd) In the past two months she has had seizures, the initial seizure lasted well over an hour, I felt helpless and was incredibly upset. I wrapped her in cool cloths to reduce the heat of the seizure and sat with her on my chest for hours afterward, she was so exhausted. I gave her rescue remedy and some extra calcium and fluids...she slept the entire next day. And I waited...wondering if I was going to have to make a very difficult decision. In the next few days, she got increasingly stronger, but I noticed that it seemed like she was a stroke victim, her one leg and arm seemed to be weak and she dragged her leg. My Sunshine girl is a fighter and a trooper, and in the next few weeks her leg improved so that she has full use when hopping and running, altho sitting still and eating can sometimes be a challenge in balancie. She lives inside in my bathroom, I have small house and its space I can free up that she can live...her sight is so limited that I keep everything in the exact same place.
She has a large cage that I lock her up at night, but has the run of the place the rest of the time. I take her outside each day to run around and play in the sun...I have to watch her sister (and make sure I have nuts ready to distract her)as she sees Sunshine as an interloper and tries to chase her away.
Sunshine has had two more slight seizure since the first. I don't know whether it has to do with her growing and things shifting in her head, or barometric pressure, or just because she sustained the head trauma. She eats well, chews on hard things to keep her teeth in shape, and does not seem to be in any pain. I know squirrels can be very stoic, but she honestly appears to be a happy little girl. I think in a way its a blessing that she is brain injured, cause she really doesn't seem to realize what she's "missing". This past week she has begun playing with me and with her newest toy, a tennis ball, which she goes crazy rolling around on the floor with. I know this post is long, but I needed to explain a few things. I wondered if anyone else has had this type of injured squirrel, and if they got progressively worse, or simply lived a happy life being loved for what they were. Any helpful hints to make her life easier will be greatly appreciated. I've already gotten so much from these forums! If the day comes when I feel that she is in pain/or too confused and upset by her daily life, then I will do what needs to be done. But for now she can hang out and be my little Sunshine girl, who reminds me that every day is a precious gift! Meanwhile her sister had grown fat and sassy and is outside busily stashing nuts to prepare for the coming winter! Thanks again for being here!!!

Nancy in New York
11-09-2010, 08:00 PM
My first post on these threads. I have been visiting here since last April when I raised and successfully released five grey squirrels. In mid August I wound up with two more, rescued from a chipper that the limbs from their nest trees were going through. Unfortunately one of the squirrels was injured from being smacked around. Her little head was swollen, as well as one eye (neither of their eyes were open when I got them). I wanted to keep both squirrels together so they had each other as "buddies". It soon became apparent that my squirrely girl with the head injury had brain damage as well...affectionately speaking, "all four paws were never going to meet the tree". She was doing well, adapting to partial blindness,some balance issues and some other small quirks. I wanted the two girls to play and cuddle, etc, but unfortunately she just couldn't figure out how to play back, and I became the playmate for the healthy squirrel. (I fussed and fretted over this, for I was afraid that it would affect her eventual release. To my delight,it didn't. She has left her outside cage, and built a nest in the cedars along side my house. Since it was late in the season here, I made the committment to feed all winter. She comes to my patio area a few times a days for a few moments of play, and then off to bury nuts.)
Back to my problem child, Sunshine (which seems so much kinder than MonsterHead, but her head really does look more than a little odd) In the past two months she has had seizures, the initial seizure lasted well over an hour, I felt helpless and was incredibly upset. I wrapped her in cool cloths to reduce the heat of the seizure and sat with her on my chest for hours afterward, she was so exhausted. I gave her rescue remedy and some extra calcium and fluids...she slept the entire next day. And I waited...wondering if I was going to have to make a very difficult decision. In the next few days, she got increasingly stronger, but I noticed that it seemed like she was a stroke victim, her one leg and arm seemed to be weak and she dragged her leg. My Sunshine girl is a fighter and a trooper, and in the next few weeks her leg improved so that she has full use when hopping and running, altho sitting still and eating can sometimes be a challenge in balancie. She lives inside in my bathroom, I have small house and its space I can free up that she can live...her sight is so limited that I keep everything in the exact same place.
She has a large cage that I lock her up at night, but has the run of the place the rest of the time. I take her outside each day to run around and play in the sun...I have to watch her sister (and make sure I have nuts ready to distract her)as she sees Sunshine as an interloper and tries to chase her away.
Sunshine has had two more slight seizure since the first. I don't know whether it has to do with her growing and things shifting in her head, or barometric pressure, or just because she sustained the head trauma. She eats well, chews on hard things to keep her teeth in shape, and does not seem to be in any pain. I know squirrels can be very stoic, but she honestly appears to be a happy little girl. I think in a way its a blessing that she is brain injured, cause she really doesn't seem to realize what she's "missing". This past week she has begun playing with me and with her newest toy, a tennis ball, which she goes crazy rolling around on the floor with. I know this post is long, but I needed to explain a few things. I wondered if anyone else has had this type of injured squirrel, and if they got progressively worse, or simply lived a happy life being loved for what they were. Any helpful hints to make her life easier will be greatly appreciated. I've already gotten so much from these forums! If the day comes when I feel that she is in pain/or too confused and upset by her daily life, then I will do what needs to be done. But for now she can hang out and be my little Sunshine girl, who reminds me that every day is a precious gift! Meanwhile her sister had grown fat and sassy and is outside busily stashing nuts to prepare for the coming winter! Thanks again for being here!!!

Amazing...and thank you for making the commitment to make her life so fulfilling. You sure are her angel. The only thing that bothers me with what you have said, is that she goes outside. I am so afraid that she can be gotten by a hawk. I realize that you are right there to watch her...but many of us on here have seen how quickly and quietly they can attack. Do you have her on a harness? With that being said, we have a member on her Tomo who also has a couple of NR's, she would be your best bet to get in touch with. She knows so much about these cases, and can guide you through with any questions you may have. Another one is BHO. She too has had a few cases and I believe that she has helped Tomo with one of her little one that had seizures. Perhaps you can pm both of these women, probably starting with Tomo. She will point you in the right direction with this, no doubt.
Again, thank you for loving this little one and giving her such a wonderful life...this sure is life altering for you...:bowdown :Love_Icon

astra
11-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Hi :Welcome and Welcome,

I don't have personal experience with injured squirrels.

However, I've read about numerous cases when a squirrel that sustained a head trauma was able to become a sweet non-releasable home squirrel.
Of course, everything depends on the severity of the injury, and that will show in time (if there is anything to show).
Proper nutrition seemed to work wonders in some cases, while in others people have been using alternative medicinal substances. A few suggested that Vetri-DMG that can be purchased from http://www.squirrelsandmore.com - boosts their immune system and even seems to be helpful to squirrels with neuro problems. She carries some other homeopathic remedies for head, back injuries.

The people Nancy mentioned are wonderful!

There are a few threads here about squirrels with head trauma... the most recent are Tipsy (http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25436
and Tremble http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25059

naturelady1
11-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Thank you for your prompt replies. Nancy, I think I watch the skies as much as I do my little girl, and when I mean I am there..I mean within four feet, cause as she's gotten stronger she likes to run faster and I almost have to keep ahead of her like rounding up cattle...heading her off before she heads toward places I don't want her to go...her poor eyesight hinders her so that I am able to catch her when I need to. I like the harness suggestion, I had been reading the forum posts about harnesses before I decided to finally post about my girl. She and I had a run through my field this week and I don't want to repeat it! Have to put squirrel harness on next weeks shopping list!

Thanks also for the forum links to other sites astra, I'll check them out!!

spykitten01
11-09-2010, 08:52 PM
I dont have much input for you either - Im still on my first pair and they seem to be quite healthy now despite a few ucky-bug scares earlier on. I just wanted to say "Bless Your Heart!" - Your little one is so lucky to have you in her life! Best of luck to you both - and - :Welcome !!!

virgo062
11-10-2010, 08:55 AM
:Welcome Naturelady1...Get ready for a long haul:Love_Icon I gave Knothead ...Nature remedy or natural remedy. Having a brain fart here. Sometimes I think Knothead is rubbing off on me. Another problem with taking you baby outside is that they are so unpredictable even though Knothead only goes in circles I don't trust him one bit. Sure as I put him on the ground he would race to the nearest tree and then I would have bigger problems. I also decided I don't want Knotty to know what he is missing. I feel bad that he will never experience the outdoors and squirrels are creatures of habit. If Knothead gets his routine indoors why should he want to go outdoors? Knothead had horrible seizures (weekly) but he has not had one in months:alright.gif soooooo....Did the nature remedy help or did he just grow out of them? I'm not a big believer in long term medications just don't trust them...never have. Good luck with your angel and can't wait to see pictures...There are so many Neuro squirrels babies you should have no problem getting advice

Tomo
11-10-2010, 08:56 AM
I just sent you a PM, so if you'd like to talk, I'd love to help with Sunshine and hopefully, shed some light on her condition and help you provide her the happiest and healthiest life for the future.

Tomo :)

naturelady1
11-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks virgo062..glad someone elses squirrel thinks circles are cool. Sunshine will actually run straighter, once she's been out in a bigger space for a bit...her circles just get bigger.. but I had a scare this week when she headed into my field and it was hard to head her off...she's almost blind, so I have that "handicap" on my side...but her hearing is incredible!!

Toma thank you for the PM, I got on a little late. Returned the PM and will try and call again later.
Thanks again for everyones' kindness, its reassuring to talk to people who really do understand why you go the extra for these amazing critters.:multi

island rehabber
11-10-2010, 04:57 PM
naturelady1, is Sunshine's head swollen ? If she has hydrocephalus(fluid on the brain) there is medicine that will keep that under control and also the seizures. However it is very difficult to treat, let alone cure.....bless you for making her life so happy and safe and yeah, get the harness! :poke

EDIT: I corrected above to say "hydrocephalus".....must have had encephalitis on the brain worrying about the squirrel with West Nile Virus.....

naturelady1
11-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Her entire head was swollen initially, back in early August, with obvious swelling of her then unopened right eye, but does not seem to be swollen now. The very structure of her head is different now, it is more elongated. Any area that perhaps you could call swelling, is a raised area on the back of her head at the area where her spine comes up into her skull. She does not demonstrate any annoyance with that area, ie, trying to scratch or bite at it, and I can pet her there within her having any problems with it. It is very strange. I.'m going to try and get some pictures. And my little sweetie is inside until I get some kind of harness...no more chances.

naturelady1
11-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Sunshine on a good day :) I'm still trying to get closer ones of her head, but will have to wait til daylight. She doesn't like the flash and I don't want to set her off.

Jackie in Tampa
11-11-2010, 06:53 AM
I have Jane and Willie and also Lucky that all are head trauma sqs...all are here forever, all are my buddies.
Willies circles are seldom...Janes have stopped completely and Lucky has not circled since I 'toughed love'd' his diet.
None have had any seizure activity for many months {Lucky was actually the only one to seize long term, but they were very bad and started to progress in frequency}
Each sq will have specific needs, some will involve cage specs and all will involve diet.
None of my sqs are on any meds, I believe in a good nutrition treatment, really. Not all sqs are so lucky though.
Jane feel over 60 feet, hitting branches and a roof on her way down, Lucky was hit by a car....and we are not sure what happened to Willie...:dono
When found Jane was {guessing} 10-12 months old; Willie is an adult and Lucky was a juvy, probably 5 or 6 months old.

When Lucky was first found, he circled tight and always...
the circles did get bigger as his trust/security grew with his whereabouts.
He lost his vision in one eye, the trauma was severe...
He acclimated to captivity well, but he hated good food...that has been fixed, he loves and expects his HHBs daily, not one seizure since!
During his seizure episodes...he did lose his sweet disposition, he is now a bear and cannot be handled...every now and then I take my bites and give him love...he does get mellow with a massage...but I leave with several bandaids...
The seizures damaged his brain functions.
We are so lucky to still have him with us, as many will die of a stroke.

Willie was stroking out when I first laid eyes on him...he was having intense REM...face was spasming on right side...it was very alarming...
it continued for almost two hours. He lost his sight in that eye. He also circled...
He eats HHBs as well as Jane. I think nutrition is really key...
keeping their immune systems up will help with stability in their lives.
I know of rehabbers who immediately start Pheno treatment...but that is a life long treatment...It will be the last resort here...
keeping them safe, happy and well fed is my advise.

Tomo is a good resource for info, she is very brillant and dedicated.

Thank you for helping Sunshine and thinking of her forever outcome!
SqC send our best well wishes...:Love_Icon

naturelady1
11-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Thank you Jackie in Tampa. Your squirrely kids sound very similar to Sunshine.
what do you mean when you said you tuff loved lucky's diet? What are HHB'S?
I'm lucky in that my "kid" loves good food, she just changes what she likes every day...lol..what a girl!
I want to thank you for all your info posted about teeth trimming. During one of Sunshines "episodes" I noticed that she had somehow worn her top teeth down to nubs (I suspect by chewing on stones) her bottom teeth had filled in and were VERY long, I was afraid they were hitting the roof of her mouth. She was in really bad shape at the time and very out of it, so I gathered my courage, and all the tools, and trimmed them. Success! I have a very good pair of cutters, and they snipped off very easily. I'm not sure if she has a malocclusion, or simply lacks the strength in her jaws to effectively grind her teeth to where they should be. I just had to do them again, she gets very bothered when they get to that length and wants to chew on things almost obssesively,even me (which she normally does not do) I rock her to sleep on my chest and then when she's sleeping wrapped up in a towel, I can trim them w/o too much problem. ( just me swallowing hard and doing it) I'm still trying to pin down what sets off certain "events", and am wondering if sometimes the teeth being too long can play a part, cause it gets her worked up. She can not open nuts, other than peanuts, and seems to have a tuff time with anything really hard. She likes her cuttle bone, and I also have a hunk of deer antler and mineral block for her to chew on, as well as twigs that I bring in from outside.
I have been in touch with Tomo, who is an amazing font of knowledge, wisdom, and experience and who could speak it plain and simple so that I understood! I gleaned much from my discussion with her, and it made enforced in my mind how much more I have to learn. Next is to get her on some kind of homeopathic regiment if we figure out that it is needed...I have some more pm's to write, am catching up today cause I kinda lost Thursday when my sweetie had a bad day and needed to be held. I have found a winter hat with long ties, tied around my neck keeps her right up against my heart, where she likes to be...she's in it as well.:Love_Icon
Thanks for all your help here for these little critters!

naturelady1
12-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Update:flash3
Thank you all for being wonderful caring souls. Ater talking with Tomo and BHO and starting her on homeopathic "medicine" Sunshine has improved greatly.

She has regained sight in her right eye, enough that she looks up to see me, and climb her cage as well as find things that are on the floor. She now can find and use a water bottle as well, and sit up with balance good enough to drink! Big plus...she also loves cuddles,tickles,scratchies and massages!!

Since my last post she has had no seizures. I realize we still go day to day, but the good ones now outnumber the bad. She plays with balls and throws around her little stuffies when she really gets going.

My bathroom is her domain...I keep small linen towels in the corners for her to hide things in, and each morning when she comes out of her cage she checks the perimeters of the bathroom and grabs a morning snack before breakfast comes. ( I monitor the stashes, so its stuff I want her to have in the am)

She is not overly fond of greens, but I keep offering...I try and save "treats" until after she eats some good stuff. She loves the vanilla ensure!! I have also found a bar in the organic section of Giant that is made of only ground almonds, whey powder, and honey....her absolute fav snack next to coconut and watermelon.

I have never had a NR squirrel before, so I have another stoopid question:thinking Do these kids normally have "crazy times" where they run around and play like mad, climb, jump on things, etc? Mine grabs her ball, curls up around it, bites and pushes at it with her hind legs, then drops it to go off on the next thing...an empty toliet paper tube, then to the next etc. My little one was "slow" for awhile and now I'm not sure what "normal " behavior is.

Thanks again to all of you for everything I've gleaned from TSB!:thankyou

Nancy in New York
12-02-2010, 11:16 AM
WOW.....this is one of the best posts that I have read today. Sounds like your little one is doing so much better. Keep up the good work, and thank you for giving her such a great life...:Love_Icon
I knew you would love Tomo and BHO....:grouphug :grouphug Don't we all...:)

Tomo
12-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Thank you all for being wonderful caring souls. Ater talking with Tomo and BHO and starting her on homeopathic "medicine" Sunshine has improved greatly.

She has regained sight in her right eye, enough that she looks up to see me, and climb her cage as well as find things that are on the floor. She now can find and use a water bottle as well, and sit up with balance good enough to drink! Big plus...she also loves cuddles,tickles,scratchies and massages!!

Since my last post she has had no seizures. I realize we still go day to day, but the good ones now outnumber the bad. She plays with balls and throws around her little stuffies when she really gets going.

My bathroom is her domain...I keep small linen towels in the corners for her to hide things in, and each morning when she comes out of her cage she checks the perimeters of the bathroom and grabs a morning snack before breakfast comes. ( I monitor the stashes, so its stuff I want her to have in the am)

She is not overly fond of greens, but I keep offering...I try and save "treats" until after she eats some good stuff. She loves the vanilla ensure!! I have also found a bar in the organic section of Giant that is made of only ground almonds, whey powder, and honey....her absolute fav snack next to coconut and watermelon.

I have never had a NR squirrel before, so I have another stoopid question:thinking Do these kids normally have "crazy times" where they run around and play like mad, climb, jump on things, etc? Mine grabs her ball, curls up around it, bites and pushes at it with her hind legs, then drops it to go off on the next thing...an empty toliet paper tube, then to the next etc. My little one was "slow" for awhile and now I'm not sure what "normal " behavior is.

What fabulous news! So glad Sunshine is improving! Yes, it is normal for her to act all crazy when playing, she's enjoying herself and her new stability. Let her have fun, but if you notice she stops and looks a little dizzy, just pick her up and cuddle her for a little while to calm her down. But play is always a good sign! Big Hugs and Big Kisses to Sweet Little Sunshine!

Tomo :grouphug :Love_Icon

Best Life
12-02-2010, 11:36 AM

:thumbsup Wow! I'm so happy for you and little Sunshine. :sunshine Can you summarize what all you have been doing to achieve such a marked improvement in the last few weeks? Perhaps it is listed in another post? To improve SO MUCH and so quickly must have required some intensive homeopathic treatments, and extreme dedication on your part. Very curious to hear about it. ALSO, more pictures? Love the one that you posted earlier. She's adorable! Linda

mpetys
12-02-2010, 11:37 AM
I am so glad to hear such wonderful news. Just hearing about how she is getting into her "play time" sounds great. I'm happy for you both.

Thanks to all who helped out with great advice.

Michele

lilidukes
12-02-2010, 12:06 PM
So good to hear a positive update on Sunshine.:grouphug

Best Life
12-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Naturelady - How is Sunshine doing today? :sunshine

Linda

naturelady1
12-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks for asking! Sunshine had a "first" today, she actually climbed up my pant leg!! Since she was better, she had been able to climb down when I held her on my lap, but climbing up from the floor while I was standing next to her, simply wasn't a part of her world...it is now!:flash3

She continues to amaze me, as she becomes more and more social, truly seeming to demand cuddle and tickle time...play time is a given. There are moments here and there that an outside noise will scare her and she will do the freeze thing, (which always scares me, cause I'm afraid a seizure will follow), but so far, so good.

I am now giving thought as how to add some extra playthings in her very small world. She wants to climb, but I don't want her going that high, she's climbing the outside of her two level rectangular cage, and seems so "proud" that she can do it, she now hangs by her back legs, which she could not do before. I want to try and make something more foot friendly for her to climb, cause I know the covered grid wire can't be good for her feet....any suggestions out there??? Also for safe fun toys that your critters just can't live without??Realizing of course that all our sweeties, are unique, they still all have that squirrel thing in common...lol

Lovin my squirrely-girly, Sunshine sometimes now called Boo-boo cause of that pesky habit of sometimes running into things when she gets too excited.
and darn those little claws are sharp..my hands look like I've been in a cat fight and lost...and its just from playing...:dono
Thanks again for asking:D

naturelady1
12-06-2010, 07:31 PM
I forgot to say her favorites are balls, small stuffies, a small plastic cup and an empty toliet paper roll (go figure):tilt

lilidukes
12-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Nl I found at Walmart fleece dusting mitts. I use these for crazy play with my lil girl. But be sure to wear long sleeves too. :D

naturelady1
12-06-2010, 08:02 PM
What a great idea!! She would really enjoy the cozy touch and I could still feel connected to her. Best use I ever heard of for a dusting mitt...
Thanks!

scratsdad
02-23-2012, 09:02 AM
I've read this thread twice already. Scrat is a neuro case also. Balance has always been an issue and has to be hand fed. She can't sit up like other squirrels to eat, etc. This hasn't been an issue until early fall/late summer last year 2011 she had 3 episodes of seizures. Balance has really deterioated to almost nothing. I'm trying to find out what was meant by HHB care. I've ordered some neuro care tablets American Biologics - Ultra NeuroRecovery 90 caps Sold by: Fubao Health
I've been told these really help. I just want to get her back to before the seizures. She was doing fine then, on getting around. She still fell left but could at least run around the yard. She can barely stand up without falling over currently.

Anne
02-23-2012, 09:42 AM
If the neuro symptoms are getting worse I would advise looking into her diet. Please read the healthy diet in the nutrition section. Make sure that she is receiving all the calcium she needs, as well as sun exposure.
I also have found that supplementing neuro squirrels with Ensure helps some of them. Ensure has reduced the seizure episodes for some-I have no idea why or why it is not helpful to all brain injured guys.

CritterMom
02-23-2012, 09:54 AM
I have a friend with a neuro squirrel with a seizure history, and recently she had an uptick of the seizure activity with what appeared to be resulting paralysis. Her vet recognised the symptoms as some he sees in dogs occasionally and blood tested her thyroid levels which were way off. She has been placed on daily thyroid meds and has improved considerably. I am not saying this is what is wrong with Scrat but what happened to my friend's squirrel could very easily have been attributed to her existing neuro issues and ignored...