PDA

View Full Version : I USED TO BE SASSY123

Scooterzmom
11-08-2010, 05:45 PM
The ADMIN has been kind enough to allow me to use this name Scooterzmom in memory of my baby who passed on Wednesday. I have not been a member very long so there won't be very many people who already knew me. Since I came to TSB in a state of panic already fearing for my Scooter's health I have so far only given you a real quick intro of myself.

I'm an old lady of 62, mother of 2 grown boys one of whom was diagnosed as borderline autistic when he was 3. He has made such huge progress, is now highly 'functional' - so much so that you could barely tell he has a problem when you'd meet him. He has fought all his life to try and live a "normal" life, and he is my hero.

I'm also an animal lover (of all kinds) but I totally adore squirrels... always have. So far I've rescued 8 babies; they all thrived and made it through except one, a little pinkie I name Faith who, sadly, was already beyond help when she was brought to me. She's resting in my flower bed now beside my pond. I also had one pet squirrel, my beloved Scooter who passed away Nov. 3, last week, at the age of 2 years and 3 mos.

Scooter was my very best friend, truly like my baby and I will tell you about him later- when I can stand it as now the hurt is still too fresh I crumble to pieces as soon as I do talk of him. Suffice it to say for now that he, my lilttle Scooter made me turn my life around.

I drank wayyyy to much, smoked like a chimney, used to live by nite mostly and sleep by day.... suffering from empty-nest syndrome I felt like my life had no purpose. Scooter turned all that around and I became a better person because of him. I'll be eternally thankful to my angel for that.

I live in the suburbs of Montreal, on a land that is only 6000sq feet and only one small tree (by my fence) but the neighborhood is full of huge maples and is teeming with urban wildlife - i.e. squirrels, raccoons, skunks, mice, birds etc... Some neighbors love them too, like I do, some are indifferent, and yes... some are downright cruel inhumane people who would hurt them. There are also a lot of cats and dogs around here, as well as a couple of hawks in the last couple of years. So, with our canadian winters and all these dangers, it's a tough life for our little buddies out here.

Still... Squirrels abound around me and they all know to stop by Mitch's restaurant (me) :poke for some goodies or nurturing & comfort when they get hurt. They know that they can always find someone who loves them here. One of them, Sassy, came and went for 5.5 years (!!!!), used to sit beside me while I had my breakfast and was always the last one to come by at dusk on her way back to her nest. Sadly I last saw her on June 19th :( and I still miss her too terribly and that was why I had taken her name. It was at the last minute, trying to find help for Scooter that I found and joined TSB but it seemed so much more appropriate to take my baby's name instead.

I must say that I have never felt as fulfilled as since I discovered the love of squirrels. Certainly I felt I could be useful to my sons, of course, a mother surely alsways does :) but there was also a lot of stress involved in that too. With squirrels it became unconditional, innocent and it gave me a new perspective on the world.

Discovering how much I loved squirrels, I owe THAT to my dog Tanooki. Not one mean bone in her she never chased them and when she passed away in Sept. 2005, as I sat outside grieving I watched these little furry creatures coming and going, a hole in my gut and feeling numb. But then I felt like Tanooki was telling me to look at the world around me... and I did... and I finally paid more attention, I found the squirrels.

Well I guess they found me, I'm not sure which it is :D

And finally, through my love of squirrels I have discovered yet another passion: photography, and they - my foster kids and Scooter as well as my outdoor buddies - have proven to be my best great subjects.

I'm in no way a professional but they are always willling to offer a pose or so, a cute face, a funny stunt... they are marvelous!!!

So, there you go... Before I come out with a novel here I'll leave it at that :) I'm happy I found all of you. It makes me think there is still hope for the world.

Thank you for opening your heart, to me and to all our sweet creatures.

Thank you for the ADMIN for accepting my name switch.:thankyou I truly appreciate this way for me to honor Scooter's memory.

island rehabber
11-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Welcome again, Scooterzmom. You belong here, and we're glad you found us despite the sad circumstances. :grouphug

astra
11-08-2010, 07:10 PM
person because of him.

I must say that I have never felt as fulfilled as since I discovered the love of squirrels. With squirrels it became unconditional, innocent and it gave me a new perspective on the world.

they are marvelous!!!

Thank you for opening your heart, to me and to all our sweet creatures.
Hi again, Scooterzmom!:wave123
... and it is all so, so true!:thumbsup :grouphug

JLM27
11-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Pookie Pie is my little angel that turned my life around too. She opened my heartchakra and gave me so much joy and then so much pain when she left, that I think she was sent to me for just that reason, and when her mission was accomplished, she was recalled, released from the burden of this life. She is still my guardian and sits on my left shoulder. I KNOW she is there. My heart is open now, open to joy and open to suffering. I would have never been on this site and met so many caring people without my precious little friend, Pookie Pie. I can see that Scooter was this to you too. He is your little guardian angel, or at least one of them.

mugzeezma
11-08-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm a lady of 62, mother of 2 grown boys one of whom was diagnosed as borderline autistic when he was 3. He has made such huge progress, is now highly 'functional' - so much so that you could barely tell he has a problem when you'd meet him. He has fought all his life to try and live a "normal" life, and he is my hero.

I drank wayyyy to much, smoked like a chimney, used to live by nite mostly and sleep by day.... suffering ... I felt like my life had no purpose. Scooter turned all that around and I became a better person because of him. I'll be eternally thankful to my angel for that.

They know that they can always find someone who loves them here. One of them, Sassy, came and went for 5.5 years (!!!!), used to sit beside me while I had my breakfast and was always the last one to come by at dusk on her way back to her nest. Sadly I last saw her on June 19th :( and I still miss her too terribly and that was why I had taken her name. It was at the last minute, trying to find help for Scooter that I found and joined TSB but it seemed so much more appropriate to take my baby's name instead.

I must say that I have never felt as fulfilled as since I discovered the love of squirrels. Certainly I felt I could be useful to my sons, of course, a mother surely alsways does :) but there was also a lot of stress involved in that too. With squirrels it became unconditional, innocent and it gave me a new perspective on the world.

And finally, through my love of squirrels I have discovered yet another passion: photography, and they - my foster kids and Scooter as well as my outdoor buddies - have proven to be my best great subjects.

There you are!!!
I can relate to so much of this it's crazy. I too have a PDD/NOS son. My youngest is still in trouble and I don't have a grasp on it yet.
Some days the bottle looks better than the alternative
Mugzi changed that.
So glad you are here with us Mitch :grouphug

How can anyone be sad when they are loved by a squirrel?

RockyRocko
11-08-2010, 09:54 PM
"How can anyone be sad when they are loved by a squirrel?" So TRUE!!
:wahoo :jump :wave123 :Welcome :thumbsup :crazy

gs1
11-08-2010, 10:15 PM
:thumbsup :grouphug :)

scooter will always be remembered and will always be sitting on your shoulder...head... down your back ... up your arm... and will always help steer your cart in the direction of the shelled and unshelled nut display at the supermarket.....:D

:grouphug

Skul
11-08-2010, 10:58 PM
I remember Scooter.:grouphug

Jackie in Tampa
11-09-2010, 05:00 AM
I love that you changed your user name...
I know Scooter feels honored!:grouphug

Anne
11-09-2010, 09:38 AM
:Welcome Again, friend!:D :grouphug :grouphug

JakesLittlePrincess
11-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Although I am relatively new here myself I also wanted to welcome you back. I actually had tears running down my face when I read your story. My little Princess has also been an angel to me. I rescued her from horrible circumstances and now she is my best companion. I have a spinal injury and am in chronic pain from it. Before I found her I didn't leave the house much and barely got out of bed. She changed all that. Something happened the minute I brought her home and she snuggled in my hoodie with me. When her little hands grabbed my fingers I feel like I came alive again. Now, every day I am up playing with her and sitting out back while a bunch of other squirrels are running all over me. Of all the animals I have ever had in my life none can compare to love of a squirrel.