PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for this lady?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Sweeties Mom emailed me this morning about a little squirrel that is coming to eat.

Dear XXX,
There is a tiny squirrel maybe 5 or 6 weeks that keeps coming back to the feeder. Today she is shaking and keeps putting her head down and resting, is this a squirrel I should help or could she have a disease that could spread to my Sweetie if I put her in the cage. Help, Nancy
I have only told her to put out formula for it untill I get someones advice. Anybody?

Liza
11-17-2006, 10:15 AM
I am not a qualified person to ask, but I'll tell you what I'd do... It sounds to me like this little guy is WAY to young to be on his own. I would try to get ahold of him and get him warmed up. If he is alone, he isn't getting the benefit of anybody's body heat, and that could be why he is shivery. In that case, the food he eats is not going to the right places anyway.

I would NOT put him in the cage with her other squirrel until it is clear that he is pest/disease free. Even if this little one has no diseases and is just chilled, he probably has lice or fleas. (all the babies I've had have had at least one or 2 unwanted passengers). I would put him in a small cage or aquarium with a soft tshirt and a heat source FAR away from her other baby...probably in another part of the house, get him warm and then post some pictures or do some research and figure out what his problem is. Could be he just needs a blankie and a nice syringe full of warm formula- or he may need serious vet care. Either one he isn't going to get while outside alone......

Just my opinion-

Liza

Gabe
11-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Absolutely, quarantine him and warm him up ASAP. I'll be back later, have to go.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-17-2006, 01:59 PM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k93/margaretmowery_2006/Missy.jpg
picture finally I think she has totally misjudged, I think this could easliy be a 12 weeks old. A late fall baby?

Squirlgirl
11-17-2006, 02:05 PM
:thumbsup that is not a 5-6 weeker..thank goodness! Especially in NY...that would be very late! Looks like a second season squirrel...having a very easy time opening sunflower seeds!!!:wahoo

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-17-2006, 02:06 PM
thank you mam!:thumbsup

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-17-2006, 02:22 PM
She looks like a beautiful little girlfriend for my Preston boy. She is sweet. Wish I could get squirrels so close to my window.

Gabe
11-17-2006, 05:46 PM
rippie, that is diffenately an older squirrel, but what you described is certainly not normal. Have you heard from her again? what is happening with the squirrel?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-17-2006, 05:57 PM
someone else said she may be just tired due to bad storms last night & not getting a good sleep what do you think?

Gabe
11-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Think about this - a wild animal will never let you see that he is hurt, if I get a bird with a broken wing, it will turn it's body in the cage so that I see it's unhurt side. Same with a mammal that has an injury. Many new rehabbers say, "I don't know why it died. It was fine last night". It really wasn't fine, they just were not picking up on the problem. For sweeties mom to think there was a problem and email you, then there must truly have been a problem.To allow a predator to see that you are "down" is certain death. So, if you see an animal that is sick, it is really sick
The picture sure looks like a healthy squirrel, but the description she gave doesn't match the picture. I just hope it is really alright.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-18-2006, 04:54 PM
awful terrible news I just received this email:

I am crying. I let Sweetie out about 7 this morning. I went to my meeting about 10 am and my son cleaned the side yard. When I got home my son told me he found a dead squirrel in the pool. I think it may be Sweetie. It's female about the right size. He says he found it about 8 am but didn't want to upset me. I know that early this morning the dogs weren't out and neither was the cat, so they weren't responsible. I blow dried her face and it really looks like her markings. Since it is getting dark now I know she would be back already if she was going to, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to be sure. I guess if she doesn't come back I will never know. There was another squirrel similar to her, out and about and what can I say, I hope it's not Sweetie, but in my heart I know it is. I haven't stopped crying. As for the baby or the tiny one I didn't see it at all today either. My heart is broken. The pool should have been closed, but my son just didn't have time to do it. I spoke at great length to a lady named Barbara at the Squirrel Sanctuary, you passed on her phone number yesterday. She was going to take care of Sweetie while I go to Germany. Everything was going along just fine and now this horror. I will bury this little squirrel tomorrow in my garden with all my other little pets. I pray it's not Sweetie!

GhosTS
11-18-2006, 08:59 PM
I do hope its not Sweetie.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-19-2006, 08:10 AM
--- xxxxcom wrote: sweetiesmom wrote me this email last night:

> Hi, I had wrapped the squirrel in tissue paper and
> then in a plastic bag, I
> was going to bury her tomorrow morning. Well, this
> may sound a bit morbid but I
> decided to look at her really carefully. So I took
> her into the bathroom,
> laid her out in the sink and started to blow dry her
> face. When it was dry I took
> her into the computer room and pulled up the picture
> I just sent you of her,
> it was taken last Wednesday. The markings aren't the
> same, there is no white
> around this squirrels muzzle! I know that this
> squirrel is not Sweetie! I'm
> sure that she will come home tomorrow. And tomorrow
> I will bury this little
> squirrel in my garden. Both my head and heart have
> stopped aching. Sorry to have
> upset you. Hugs, xx

Oh xx I am just so glad to know it isnt PLEASE PLEASE get that pool covered if I have to come and help I will. No I am not joking..we now know how special these little ones are there is no difference in your sweetie and the next squirrel they all have their own little personalities. Like I said it could be her next time.
Write back as soon as you see her.

>

Just posting this to update.

island rehabber
11-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Oh I am so glad it's not Sweetie. I feel badly, of course, about the poor little one who was found in the pool, but I still don't think that's the whole story. Pools are uncovered all over the country and squirrels don't normally drown in them, ever. :dono Anyway, here's hoping Sweetie comes home to reassure her mom that she's OK.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-19-2006, 08:41 AM
I am probably thinking what you are, but I can only incourage that cover get put on imediately.

GhosTS
11-19-2006, 09:03 AM
Its always better to prevent accidents.Whoever that little squirrel is..she will be missed.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Just to update she wrote back & said it was getting put on today. And I suggesting the scamper ramp for future use so this dosent happen again.