PDA

View Full Version : Kaytee Fort Diet Pro Health-Rat and Mouse Diet

Runestonez
11-03-2010, 06:49 PM
I saw this product this weekend while scooting through PetSmart.
I am having a terrible time finding healthy rat blocks for the Knuck-Nuks!
I refuse to buy Mazuri from the same place we got it last time...:nono
and Martins is like old tire rubber when you try to soften them...
seriously...I have to sharpen my food processor everytime I crunch them up!
And that is after soaking them in hot water for 30 minutes!!!!:dono

I contacted Kaytee yesterday by email and they had the Technical Services Manager phone me today...
Their packaging isn't specific about contents...just the usual: fiber, fat, protein, etc...so I asked them for the Calcium content...
She looked it up and emailed me the results tonight...they have a 2:1 ratio.
Calcium--> 1.0%
Phos-----> .55%

Is anyone familar with this product?
Any issues with using it as a staple for our squirrels?
I am trying to find something that I can lay my hands on when I need it...without having to order it by way of Timbuktu!:tilt

mugzeezma
11-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I saw this product this weekend while scooting through PetSmart.
I am having a terrible time finding healthy rat blocks for the Knuck-Nuks!
I refuse to buy Mazuri from the same place we got it last time...:nono
and Martins is like old tire rubber when you try to soften them...
seriously...I have to sharpen my food processor everytime I crunch them up!
And that is after soaking them in hot water for 30 minutes!!!!:dono

I contacted Kaytee yesterday by email and they had the Technical Services Manager phone me today...
Their packaging isn't specific about contents...just the usual: fiber, fat, protein, etc...so I asked them for the Calcium content...
She looked it up and emailed me the results tonight...they have a 2:1 ratio.
Calcium--> 1.0%
Phos-----> .55%

Is anyone familar with this product?
Any issues with using it as a staple for our squirrels?
I am trying to find something that I can lay my hands on when I need it...without having to order it by way of Timbuktu!:tilt
I use it to make BooBalls and throw the blocks in the cage for them to nibble on and pee on :D
I use oxbow too.
I've used HHBs
I need to order some harlan Teklad and try that.
The Oxbow has been the biggest hit ... buy not really....you know how squirrelies are :shakehead

Runestonez
11-03-2010, 07:45 PM
:D
It is 8:30pm here...and the goofs are hanging off the kitchen window giving me stink eye because they can smell the BooBalls cooking...but they have to wait for them still! lol

They despise Martins...hell...at this point I despise Martins...
they owe me a new food processor!:shakehead

I guess I'll grab a bag and see how it goes over! :D
Haven't tried the Oxbow yet...

mugzeezma
11-03-2010, 08:07 PM
It is 8:30pm here...and the goofs are hanging off the kitchen window giving me stink eye because they can smell the BooBalls cooking...but they have to wait for them still! lol

Oxbow Regal Rat is not extruded block. It's little heart shaped kibbles!
Ani likes it straight up.
I don't even bother baking the BooBalls. I roll em up and serve cold. These guys like them that way. Mugzi liked them baked through.
He was ultra picky.

Runestonez
11-04-2010, 07:46 AM
HA!
Feed the little lovlies UNCOOKED BooBalls?
Heresy! lol :D
Our kids don't like getting their feets wet, or dirty...unless of course they are playing in pee...that's entirely different!:D

lol When they were little whenever they were fed I would wipe their chin...as they got older they started to do it on their own! Now when they are done eating...they will go to one of their toys or a soft blankie and wipe their chins clean! :D

I opened the kitchen window this morning and there was a deer mouse sitting on the feeding shelf eating the kids veggies!
It didn't even care I was there! :sanp3
The kids came along and pushed it off the shelf so they could get their BooBalls. Didn't bother the mouse...didn't bother the kids...

Sometimes I wonder who is running this place...I don't think it is the humans anymore!

Should I be worried about the freakin deer mouse?
Or should I let the squirrels keep it as a pet?tinfoil

Pierre
11-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Keep the mouse, look how well it's worked out for CrM!!

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

CritterMom
11-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Oh yeah. Nate is starting to look like a furry golf ball with a tail and pink feet. I keep putting him in his wheel and commanding him to run...the only thing he runs to is the food dish.:shakehead

Runestonez
11-04-2010, 09:14 AM
:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl
If the darned things weren't so cute...grrr! :)
One of the little fuzzies made a beautiful nest inside one of my gourd birdhouses! It's awesome! It looks all soft and warm...made out of my insulation from the attic :shakehead with a little food stash off to one side!

I'll have to finish putting 1/4" hardware cloth over the soffits so they can't sneak in...they may be small but they sound like water buffalo wandering around up there in the attic!

This is the first year we've had them...
we have had house mice off and on...but never deer mice!

I found one while gardening in the early summer...he was hiding under some rocks I was trying to re-stack...I moved them and he ran up my shorts...:shakehead
So I shook him out and he ran back under the rocks again...so of course as soon as I went back to moving rocks...back up my shorts...we actually did this 4 or 5 times before I got irritated and went and got a container to put him in! I finished re-arranging the rocks and let him out of the container...
yup...right up my shorts...:shakehead
I shook him out and I was waving a finger at him giving him crap...he stood up on wee tiny legs and started waving his paws at me...and showed me teeth too for good measure!:rotfl
I was laughing so hard! He couldn't have been more than an inch long in the body! But an elephant sized attitude! :rotfl
I don't think hubby sees the funny haha in mice...he likes them...but he doesn't want any as pets...then theres me...I bring EVERYTHING home.
He even made me get rid of my bat too. :(

LittleFootsMama
11-04-2010, 12:26 PM

Hmmm I've never actually baked my booballs, honestly had no idea you were even supposed to LOL .. I roll them up and put them in the fridge to firm up, a few times he's gotten them while they were still soft/sticky which he didn't seem to mind, but then it took me a week to pick the chunks out of his tail LOL
mjs

Just looked, I have Kaytee Forti-Diet Pro Health blocks! I've never seen him actually eat the block, but I use them in his booballs and throw a block in his cage every once and awhile -- but that being said he must actually eat them sometime because I rarely find them when I clean his cage

Runestonez
11-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Well...I won't have time to pick up any of the Kaytee for them this weekend...
I have my wildlife rehab course and exam this weekend...:tilt
Basics and the Beyond Basics too.

I made a ton of BooBalls last night though...hopefully hubby can hold down the fort while I am gone...All he has to do is feed and water 11 rabbits, 3 squirrels, 4 cats and remember to jab the diabetic cat every morning! :D

No problems! :crazy
It'll do him good to live in my world for 2 or 3 days! :D
Chalk it up as an educational experience! <evil grin>

LittleFootsMama
11-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Well...I won't have time to pick up any of the Kaytee for them this weekend...
I have my wildlife rehab course and exam this weekend...:tilt
Basics and the Beyond Basics too.

I made a ton of BooBalls last night though...hopefully hubby can hold down the fort while I am gone...All he has to do is feed and water 11 rabbits, 3 squirrels, 4 cats and remember to jab the diabetic cat every morning! :D

No problems! :crazy
It'll do him good to live in my world for 2 or 3 days! :D
Chalk it up as an educational experience! <evil grin>

Lol, I'm trying to imagine my husband just being responsible for the two dogs and one squirrel for a weekend.. I imagine I would come home to him locked in the bedroom and the animals ruling the house :multi

Runestonez
11-04-2010, 02:02 PM
The probelm with my hubby is that he is a large kid.
If left unsupervised he stuffs everyone with treats!
Or lets them run rampant...
Mom is the sheriff/bad guy...and dad the bringer of destruction/treats!:shakehead

I have a good size jar of BooBalls baked up and I fully expect to have to make up more when I come home!

I am being nice and cleaning all the litterboxes today and tomorrow...so all he has to do is make sure everyone has food and water...and he can sit on the couch and play video games for the weekend!
(I also double checked the carport to be sure it was completely sealed...cause if numpty tries to go in the squirrel cage to clean up the veg...I KNOW Webster is going to be free ranging till I can catch him on Monday! lol :shakehead )

I think i need a mommy cam! Even just for the entertainment factor! :D

TinyPaws
11-04-2010, 05:28 PM
I have Oxbow rat diet..the heart shapped kibble..However they don't eat them..so I began fixing my own rat & mouse mix..

I use several types of non sweetened and non corn cereals...these are made of whole grains..wheat, barley, rolled oats (oatmeal,non instant), flaxseed, and pumpkin seeds..I also mix in brown rice, dry cork screw vegitable pasta, dehydrated berries and if I have it, dehydrated vegies, I also throw in some hulled sunflower seed...I use a big container to mix it all together....I feed it to my rats and mice, and they love it!! I refill their bowls every evening..

I also give them fresh vegies like peas, broccoli, parsley, cooked chicpeas and cooked sweet potato..They also get fresh berries, apples, mellon, peach, etc...they also get furit yogart and cottage cheese during play time...and of course each night I give them all a little vanilla ice cream..:D

As a matter of fact, I also feed it to my squirrels...along with FV...

Hope this helps...

fatkitty111
11-23-2010, 11:28 AM
I use the Kaytee Forti Diet for my Grey and he seems to like it. He doesn't have much of a choice though because thats what he got weaned onto:p

grinn75
11-23-2010, 12:36 PM
All my mice have always gotten Kaytee and so of course that was the first block my squirrels got. I think it's okay, especially for releases. If you have a pet squirrel you might want to choose a block lower in sugar, like the HHB's.

Jackie in Tampa
11-24-2010, 05:05 AM
Good Luck, enjoy!
Happy Thanksgiving:)

momma2boo
12-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Hmmm I've never actually baked my booballs, honestly had no idea you were even supposed to LOL .. I roll them up and put them in the fridge to firm up, a few times he's gotten them while they were still soft/sticky which he didn't seem to mind, but then it took me a week to pick the chunks out of his tail LOL
mjs

Just looked, I have Kaytee Forti-Diet Pro Health blocks! I've never seen him actually eat the block, but I use them in his booballs and throw a block in his cage every once and awhile -- but that being said he must actually eat them sometime because I rarely find them when I clean his cage

No need to bake the Boo Balls ... there's nothing in it that needs baking. I prefer them "raw" since heating them too much will reduce their nutritional values.

Runestonez
12-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Our little darlings don't like to get their feet wet/dirty...they also will not touch anything to do with eggs...shells or otherwise...worms...mealworms or otherwise...<snort>
When we release them....they're going to be darned hungry for the first wee bit!:D

mugzeezma
12-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Our little darlings don't like to get their feet wet/dirty...they also will not touch anything to do with eggs...shells or otherwise...worms...mealworms or otherwise...<snort>
When we release them....they're going to be darned hungry for the first wee bit!:D
Are these the same kids that pee on each other???:dono

momma2boo
12-05-2010, 03:25 PM

Try rolling them in seasame seeds. That will help with the "wet" feeling. There are no eggs, mealworms, shells, or worms in this recipe. :D

I guess you could make the balls then press them with the bottom of a flat glass and bake them at a low temp to dehydrate them (or even put them in a food dehydrator) to take out the moisture.

Runestonez
12-05-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't think the squirrels want to be rolled in sesame seeds...maybe...
I could try! :D (just kidding!)

Come on Mugz...you know playing in pee is more of a sport! lol

We bake rabbit cookies but do we have a dehydrator!
We used to try to dehydrate the rabbit cookies but discovered the bunns preferred them when they were baked...so that is what we did with the booballs! Tony calls them B.K.'s...Burrbel Kisses...I added dried currants to the recipe and I squish them out onto the cookie sheet with a pastry bag! So they do look like kisses! :D
I like the idea of the sesame seeds...I should try that! :)
When we bake them we do it a low temp and then turn off the oven and leave the booballs sit inside and cool...dries them out nicely!
I discovered that if you bake them at too high a temp they hollow out in the center...so I was filling them up with yogurt for Gordo! :D

On a funny note...we bought watermelon today!
Super Pig Gordo grabbed the whole darned sice and tried to jump with it! LMAO:rotfl
It was like watching a bird learn to fly!
He got to the edge of the feeding platform and launched...he started off pretty good and then gravity took over and he went straight to the floor of the cage watermelon first!:rotfl
He looked so ticked off!:rotfl Almost like it was the watermelon's fault!:D

momma2boo
12-05-2010, 09:41 PM
I don't think the squirrels want to be rolled in sesame seeds...maybe...
I could try! :D (just kidding!)

Come on Mugz...you know playing in pee is more of a sport! lol

We bake rabbit cookies but do we have a dehydrator!
We used to try to dehydrate the rabbit cookies but discovered the bunns preferred them when they were baked...so that is what we did with the booballs! Tony calls them B.K.'s...Burrbel Kisses...I added dried currants to the recipe and I squish them out onto the cookie sheet with a pastry bag! So they do look like kisses! :D
I like the idea of the sesame seeds...I should try that! :)
When we bake them we do it a low temp and then turn off the oven and leave the booballs sit inside and cool...dries them out nicely!
I discovered that if you bake them at too high a temp they hollow out in the center...so I was filling them up with yogurt for Gordo! :D

Super Pig Gordo grabbed the whole darned sice and tried to jump with it! LMAO:rotfl
He got to the edge of the feeding platform and launched...he started off pretty good and then gravity took over and he went straight to the floor of the cage watermelon first!:rotfl

What temp do you bake the Boo balls at and for how long? I think I may try it to see what the kids think of it. That would certainly make it easy to keep a large amount of during baby season. The moist Boo ball is easy for the babies to eat when they are weaning but the dried out ones might be a hit since they like chewing on bark and such. It's worth a shot.

momma2boo
12-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Rolling the sqs in seasame seeds ... :rotfl
If you decide to try that you MUST take pictures. :D

astra
12-05-2010, 10:32 PM
:jump :jump

mugzeezma
12-06-2010, 07:03 AM
What temp do you bake the Boo balls at and for how long? I think I may try it to see what the kids think of it. That would certainly make it easy to keep a large amount of during baby season. The moist Boo ball is easy for the babies to eat when they are weaning but the dried out ones might be a hit since they like chewing on bark and such. It's worth a shot.
I have always baked them at 250* for an hour or so.
The most recent Squee won't eat them baked so I have been making the dough in leaving the bag in the fridge. I roll 'em ever feeding...3 times a day.

Runestonez
12-06-2010, 07:22 AM
It depends what pans I use...tin foil vs parchment paper...
I hardly ever measure...so if the mixture is overly moist...it takes a bit longer.
So I bake from 250-300 degrees and check every 20 minutes until I get them where I want them...then I just shut off the oven and leave them inside to cool...which is fine...unless you want to make more than 2 trays...I am going to try cooling the first batch and then moving them to my dehydrator to finish them, leaving me able to bake a couple more!
And it is so much easier to store them once they are baked...
I make one batch a month...they fill a good sized cookie jar!
So when I have to feed everyone I just have to grab a handful and pass them out! :D
I'm so lazy!:D
If I can work out the mixture it would be alot easier to be able to roll them out and cut them like cookies...flat they will dry faster and more effectively too!

Runestonez
12-06-2010, 07:24 AM
I roll 'em ever feeding...3 times a day.

And MY squirrels are spoiled!? uh huh:D

mugzeezma
12-06-2010, 07:38 AM
And MY squirrels are spoiled!? uh huh:D

Hey

who's making the cream filled pastries!!!:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Runestonez
12-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Hey they smell awesome...if they were cream filled I'd be eating them! :D
Yogurt is a perfectly healthy addition to booballs!
Besides the last time I tried to feed poor Gordo from a spoon...Malli jumped and landed on his head pushing his face into the yogurt... he had to clean yogurt out of his nostrils!:rotfl

momma2boo
12-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Hey they smell awesome...if they were cream filled I'd be eating them! :D
Yogurt is a perfectly healthy addition to booballs!
Besides the last time I tried to feed poor Gordo from a spoon...Malli jumped and landed on his head pushing his face into the yogurt... he had to clean yogurt out of his nostrils!:rotfl

I open several capsules of Multidophilus and add that from time to time to the Boo ball recipe.

Runestonez
12-06-2010, 10:45 AM
What have I added so far...
apple sauce, pumpkin puree, dried cranberries, dried currants, FV, 3-4 types of chopped nuts, yogurt, banana, bran buds, dash of walnut or almond extract...not all at the same time of course...it depends what I have on hand at the time...
so they don't always turn out the same! lol
So far no arguments from the squirrels!
I really like the idea of rolling them in sesame seeds!
Hey!
Seasonal Burrbel Cookies! :D
Some rolled in sesame seeds, some with a sliver of almond on top, I draw the line at food colouring...but I bet I can use the pastry bag to make some that look like Christmas trees! he he he! Cheerio halos! :D
I LOVE Christmas!
Today is our first real snow so I am feeling very Christmasy today!
Blaring carols...! :D
The darned rabbits have been snacking on the Christmas tree already!:shakehead

momma2boo
12-06-2010, 12:10 PM
I LOVE the idea of Christmas cookie shaped Boo balls. I think an angel with a Cherio halo is PERFECT!

You could probably use natural food coloring if you wanted to be festive (beet powder would be a lovely deep red)

I've got a rabbit too who loves to play under the tree but since we live in a warm winter state (you wouldn't know it today .... it's fa fa fa freezing) we use an artificial.

Wish we were somewhere in the Carolinas.

SquirrelnamedThor
12-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Ok... lol sorry for my ignorance :-[ but can post the recipe for Booballs?

mugzeezma
12-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Ok... lol sorry for my ignorance :-[ but can post the recipe for Booballs?
You mean YOU pot it? Do you have it or do you need it?

momma2boo
12-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Here is the recipe and instructions (it is equal amounts of powdered rodent block, FV dry formula, crushed pecans):

50 grams rodent block (crushed to a fine powder) I use two (25 grams each) , Kaytee Forti-diet and Harlan Teklad 2014 or 2018.

50 grams powdered Fox Valley squirrel formula

50 grams crushed pecans

Mix ingredients together.

Mix organic baby food fruit (100 grams) and 20 grams Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil together and warm for 20 seconds in the microwave. Add this wet mixture to your dry ingredients until well blended. It will seem very wet. (I use Earth's Best Organic Apples & Plums).

Put in the refrigerator for 5 hours (Overnight is even better). This lets it set up. It softens/moistens the rodent block and dissolves the FV.

Once you are ready to serve it take out about a 1/2 tsp (5 grams) of the mixture and roll is in your hands but not so much that it will melt the coconut oil. Give it to your squirrel. This recipe feeds two squirrels for about a week.

Best Life
12-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Try rolling them in seasame seeds. That will help with the "wet" feeling. There are no eggs, mealworms, shells, or worms in this recipe. :D

I guess you could make the balls then press them with the bottom of a flat glass and bake them at a low temp to dehydrate them (or even put them in a food dehydrator) to take out the moisture.

AHA!! I had mentioned the sesame seeds in another Boo Ball post, and couldn't remember where I had seen that on here. Been obsessed with finding the 'originator' ever since. OF COURSE it was you!

The sesame seeds are a huge hit with Remus on the Boo Balls; he has that "sticky ball aversion" thing going on. Rickey eats them however she can get them. I also had a little pecan powder left over and dusted them with that, which further enhances his culinary experience. :D

Thanks so much!!

:tilt Linda

kimpamwright
12-10-2010, 01:51 PM
here is my 2 cents worth: my Boys and now Olivia always have the Kaytee Rat and mouse diet plus the veg's and fruits, and what they don't eat goes to my outside friends.