PDA

View Full Version : help.. to much not enough..missing something?

NaturesGift
11-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Dales diet is missing something. ..... his hair it thin and his tail is unpoofing... could it be his nut takin??? I feed him walnuts pecans hazelnuts and brazillian and almonds in moderation.. He eats acorns but I was told they are bad (though this seems weird) I give him a variety of fruit (peaches plums apples pomegranate (just started that one) I was also told to feed him (Rabbit/Ginea pig and hamster) ..mixed Berryand nut treat... It has sunflower seeds alfalfa meal pumpkin coconut banana chips peanuts kidney beans dried cranberries blueberries cherries and a whole bunch of what I would call junk.... They said Hartz brand but I cant find it so I have walmart 8 in 1 .. I also treat him with a Rabbit guinea pig treat called Healthy bits its brand is Kaytee.. It has oats Milo Oat groats sunflower hearts peanuts wheat soybeans canadianfield peas dried papaya dried apples and all those big words again.... I also give him fresh pumkin seeds... In everything I give him other than the almond and brazillian nuts I am not sure of how much is to much ya know? I need some proffesional help he needs something! or less of something...TY I am only feeding according to what websites ahve told me and I am questioning what I know because of other stuff I was told that was wrong... TY in advance
MAndie and Dale

susanw
11-16-2006, 04:09 PM
Is he getting enough sunlight? Sounds like you are giving him quite a variety of things to eat. The ones we have raised, mostly got fresh vegetables and certain fruits and of course nuts. We don't really give them anything that they couldn't find outside in the wild. :)

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-16-2006, 04:24 PM
they need the pet rat mix if you are going that route.
fresh veggies broccoli, kale especially.

Critter_Queen
11-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Agreed. Sunlight is a huge issue. If you can't have him outside in a cage for at least 30 minutes a day, you need to get him a full spectrum light bulb from a home improvement store. It must be full spectrum or it's not the right thing...lots of them say "sunlight" on them, but that's not really true.

I would limit him to one whole pecan (or two halves) and a few (maybe three whole) walnuts a day. Varying the nuts if you want, but don't give more than this amount as they will choose to eat nothing but nuts if you let them. The other thing is sunflower seeds. Get rid of them. They block the absorbtion of nutrients in squirrels. Yes, they raid the feeders in the suburbs, but it's not a big part of their diet.

I would also get rid of the peanuts, unless you limit him to one a day. They can get sick from eating too many.

But I'm guessing it's lack of UVA and UVB rays.

Let us know what you decide!

Gabe
11-16-2006, 04:54 PM
You also may be seeing the results of his early diet, this often does not manifest until they are older. Give him good diet with calcium and vitamins, increase his fat intake if you can.

NaturesGift
11-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks all!!!! I am wintering him over but I do put him outside when it is warm but we are having freak weather it can be 85 tomorrow and 30 today:shakehead I had him eating more when his brother was alive but after he died he seemed ot loose all interest in fruit. but he is slowly reverting :Love_Icon When I do put him outside he is terrified he hides under his blankie the whole time.... I think its from the trauma of his tree falling over in a tornado??? could this be true b/c if I put him on a tre he freezes and crawls back on me...his brother did this also. I will talk to my parents about that special light. we may already have one:thumbsup ... no more peanuts or sunflowers!!!!!! I hope that is whats wrong Gabe!

Gabe
11-16-2006, 06:31 PM
It's not the tornado, all squirrels are scared when they are suddenly put in new surroundings. Wouldn't you be afraid too? if you were suddenly dropped into a jungle? no weapons? don't recognize the weird sounds you are hearing?
I put mine in a release cage when they are almost weaned, or should have been weaned long ago. I continue to feed the esbilac, because they are too scared (usually for 3 days), to come out of the nest box and eat. I can go out and offer esbilac 2 times a day, to keep their metabolism up until they adjust. I even continue the esbilac after release for my own selfish reasons, if you always feed them at the same time everyday, they will be there for that feeding, and I can see that they are all alright.

GhosTS
11-16-2006, 09:01 PM
I think its dietary deficiency too..They usually only show up late.I see that his diet lacks veggies.Give him fresh viggies like Kale,Brocolli,Cauliflower,Sweet potatoe.And Rodent block is good for them.Rabbit and guinea pig mixes can have stuff that is not very good..Like sunflower seeds and peanuts.Also no no to squirrel mixes.Only rodent block and Primate Buiscuits..

NaturesGift
11-17-2006, 10:24 AM
gabe Im sorry I wasnt more descriptive... he been putting him out side for play times since he was about 6 weeks he is now almost 4 months. And he still does this.... I would understand it if I just started though.... I to waited to wean him for my own selfish reasons but he finally weaned himself he just refused to drink it one evening. :)

Ghost
I think you might be right! I decided to stop the mixes b/c of a Pm I got last night. Where do I get primate buiscuit? are the are Rodent blockes the white spool things??I dont feed squirrel mixes I know better than that lol! I wouldt feed that to wild squirrels in my yard.

Mandie

Im gettin some fresh veggies today!!!!