PDA

View Full Version : Hi All, Great to be here!

Laya
10-22-2010, 02:11 PM
I have been in animal rescue for 25 years. Mainly dogs and cats, a few parrots, chinchillas and ferrets and have done occassional wildlife rehab including several birds (mocking birds, robins etc), 3 raccoons and 5 opposum. Until a few months ago, I had never had the pleasure of raising a squirrel. When a 1 week old baby squirrel was brought to me, I searched the web franticly to find out how to properly care for this little girl. I found this forum and with all the info provided, was able to take this fragile, dehydrated, starving, sickly little sweety to where she is today, A beautiful and healthy, 15 week old, hillarious wildchild. Now I just have to manage to get her the rest of the way.....
You guys are absolutely awesome. I could have never done it without the information on this forum. Thank you so much!

virgo062
10-22-2010, 02:13 PM
:Welcome Laya always happy to meet a fellow animal lover:Welcome

Keep up the good work:thumbsup

Rhapsody
10-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Hello & Welcome.... :Welcome :wott :wave123 :Love_Icon :wave123

CritterMom
10-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah:D

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES???

It's what we live for here!

And oh, yeah - welcome!

Ultra Peepi
10-23-2010, 12:11 PM
:Welcome Hi!

island rehabber
10-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Laya that is the best news we could possibly hear around here....:thankyou! And welcome, welcome :Welcome to The Squirrel Board!

And oh yeah....we really need pix.....:poke

:D

Skul
10-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Pay no mind to Crittermom.
She's a nut.
So, where are the pictures?:thinking

Laya
10-25-2010, 06:48 AM
Working on getting pics to you guys. Got lots of them but they're too large to attach.

Jackie in Tampa
10-25-2010, 07:28 AM
:Welcome :wave123
pictures please

Laya
10-25-2010, 07:44 AM
In the meantime.... Wanted to make sure I'm doing all the right things for my lil bit.
I have henrys healthy squirrel blocks. She eats one first thing in the morning and one in the evening. I try to get her to nibble a little on one in between but she usually just throws it at me :). I offer veggies after her block in the A.M. Fresh green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, radishes, tomato, carrot, a tiny piece of baby corn, small piece of squash and asparagus. For lunch some of her fav veggies with fruits like orange, apple, cranberry, strawberry, blueberry. In the evening a block and then some veggies, one fruit and either a walnut or and acorn ( her pick for the week).
I know she should be weaned completely, but she still gets a about 12 -16 cc of formula once or twice a day. Figure it cant hurt, she's not overweight, she eats her other stuff and I cant stand it when she begs. She checks each of my fingers...In search of her formula and then just just gives me the look.
Also she has walnut and mimossa branches throughout her cage for climbing and chewing, a deer antler, mineral block, cuttlebone and small salt block. Her cage is 5 ft tall X 4 ft wide. She gets anywhere from 2 - 6 hours out of cage time. Gotta split time with her and all the dogs and a couple of cats. Dont want to take any chances.
What kind of lighting is the best to get for her and what food would be best for vit D? It's getting too chilly here to leave a window open for actual sunlight. Is the full spectrum light from lowes that I read about ok?
Sorry to be so long winded, just want to make sure all is good for her.
I'll get to work on the pics now and get them up ASAP...
If there's anything Im missing, PLEASE let me know.

nnmaru1
10-25-2010, 09:31 AM

you're missing PICTURES :D

besides, pics are most telling of a squirrel's health (eyes, coat quality, muscle tone etc).
it sounds like you SQ girl is doing very well...

you're spoiling her with the formula still, eh....at 14 weeks. is it FV? just curious what kinds she likes so much :D

Baby Squirrel Lover
10-25-2010, 10:00 AM
In the meantime.... Wanted to make sure I'm doing all the right things for my lil bit.
I have henrys healthy squirrel blocks. She eats one first thing in the morning and one in the evening. I try to get her to nibble a little on one in between but she usually just throws it at me :). I offer veggies after her block in the A.M. Fresh green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, radishes, tomato, carrot, a tiny piece of baby corn, small piece of squash and asparagus. For lunch some of her fav veggies with fruits like orange, apple, cranberry, strawberry, blueberry. In the evening a block and then some veggies, one fruit and either a walnut or and acorn ( her pick for the week).
I know she should be weaned completely, but she still gets a about 12 -16 cc of formula once or twice a day. Figure it cant hurt, she's not overweight, she eats her other stuff and I cant stand it when she begs. She checks each of my fingers...In search of her formula and then just just gives me the look.
Also she has walnut and mimossa branches throughout her cage for climbing and chewing, a deer antler, mineral block, cuttlebone and small salt block. Her cage is 5 ft tall X 4 ft wide. She gets anywhere from 2 - 6 hours out of cage time. Gotta split time with her and all the dogs and a couple of cats. Dont want to take any chances.
What kind of lighting is the best to get for her and what food would be best for vit D? It's getting too chilly here to leave a window open for actual sunlight. Is the full spectrum light from lowes that I read about ok?
Sorry to be so long winded, just want to make sure all is good for her.
I'll get to work on the pics now and get them up ASAP...
Welcome to the board!!!
Mushrooms are a good sourse of vitamin D and our squirrel (sparkle) loves them!!! Not sure about the light though. We are in sunny California and sparkle has the run of our house with plenty of light. Sparkle and I wish you and your furries the best! :wave123

LittleFootsMama
10-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Sounds like you've got all your ducks in a row to me! But I'm a noob, so :)

Only thing I would ask about is all the fruit, I know I read something about too much fruit causing diabetes for squees :( But I'm not sure how much is too much, I've always erred on the side of caution, so Littlefoot gets maybe two quarter sized chunks a day of apple or pear etc

Oh, and of course.. Need PICTURES! :) mjs

Laya
10-26-2010, 07:01 AM
I've been thinking I needed to add mushrooms....but which kinds are safe? Looking for fresh veggies just the other day, I checked out the mushrooms. There were soo many different kinds!
I had LiL Laya on Esbilac but have since switched her to FV. She LOVES it, maybe a little too much!:)
I'll cut her fruit intake back a bit. She loves her veggies too so it wont be tough to do.
Thanks for the input and Im working on pics....I promise:)

SquirrelsinSingapore
11-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Currently i have them cut mangosteen, some graphs, pieces of different nuts, slices of banana and i'll try to include some eggshells they r cheap and provide good vitamins

Result:
All finished in 2-3 hrs! Its amazing