PDA

View Full Version : new babies found

Squirrelie's Mom
10-18-2010, 04:53 PM
2 baby squirrels need rehabber! They were brought in by tree cutters a few minutes ago and they are too small for me to help them! No hair at all...please someone call me at 256-886-0482 because I have esbilac but no bottle small enough to even feed them. Please someone near Hazel Green, Al. come to the rescue!

Rhapsody
10-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Do you have any syringes while you wait for someone to call? - a small one 1cc would be best, but a 3cc could be used until someone picks them up.
In the mean time keep them warm and in a dark quite place.

Squirrelie's Mom
10-18-2010, 05:02 PM
I put them in a fur hat on top of an electric blanket. I do have a syringe and a tiny nipple, but the nipple is just way too big for them..ahh...the syringe is too old--the plunger is stuck. It came apart and the rubber part is stuck down in the end of it.

virgo062
10-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Do you have a eye dropper? That works great it gives you good control...Looks like I'm 2.5 hours from you...With no transporation tonight or tomorrow...They should have some fur on them
EDIT:I can't take in anymore until I get some results back from the Vet anyway

virgo062
10-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Wildlife Rehabilitators|(256) 883-0667
PO Box 2305, Huntsville, AL

Wheeler National Wildlife...|(205) 350-6639
Al-67, Decatur, AL

astra
10-18-2010, 05:35 PM
CritterMom always says that you can go to CVS and tell them that you have a rejected kitten to feed and you need 1cc syringes. THey are not the best kind, but will certainly do for now.

PS if you do end up reaching a wildlife center or someone, be careful because very often centers are unable or UNWILLING to overwinter babies and put them to sleep as a result.

CritterMom
10-18-2010, 05:36 PM
I just sent an email to Alabamarehabber - she has helped here before.

Hydration is more important right now. Is there a drug store nearby? Ask the pharmacist for a 1cc syringe - tell them you are trying to foster a newborn kitten that was rejected by it's mother.

You can buy a small bottle of pedialyte (orange is good) at the drug store, too. Or you can make your own solution from:

1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 quart water.

Mix well, serve warmed to a little over 100 degrees.

Squirrelie's Mom
10-18-2010, 05:40 PM
I washed out a little eye dropper and I think I got a little epilac down one of them because I saw its little jaw working, but not so well on the other one. I felt like it was getting cold so I put it back in the fur hat. They have no fur what-so-ever...I did receive a baby squirrel last year and raised it just fine, but it was quite a bit bigger than these, even tho she didn't open her eyes for the first two weeks I had her. Her name is Squirrelie and she is still with me. She runs around and plays in our trees during the day but she comes wanting in the house for her meals and at night. She sleeps in a different fur hat in the cabinet in my kitchen. She is wanting in right now but I don't dare let her see these babies because she is very jealous and territorial. She would have attacked our baby kittens the other day but I caught her just in the nick of time.

Rhapsody
10-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Good suggestion from CritterMom and exactly what I did three weeks ago when I found Picasso..... CVS gave me a 3cc syringe for free (they usually keep them right by the drive thru window) and I mixed up some homemade pedialyte for the night..... then I got some puppy formula in the morning at the local pet shop - all has been well ever since.

Rhapsody
10-18-2010, 05:45 PM
but not so well on the other one. I felt like it was getting cold so I put it back in the fur hat.

Please remember they need to be kept warm at all times and be warm before they eat..... if you dont have a heating pad you can make a rice buddy out of an old sock and one cup of rice (heat in microwave) or you can fill up an empty water bottle with hot water from the kitchen faucet then wrap a clean hand towel around the bottle and place it in the hat with the squirrels.

CritterMom
10-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Are you sure they are squirrels?

virgo062
10-18-2010, 05:58 PM
do they look like this?

virgo062
10-18-2010, 05:59 PM
awww heck:shakehead

Squirrelie's Mom
10-18-2010, 06:04 PM
LOL Yes, they are definately squirrels. I did A LOT of research here on your site a year ago and on some other sites. So I have some knowledge of how important it is to keep them stable and warm. But I thought they needed to eat every 4 hours. That's how I did Squirrelie when I got her. But here is the problem...I am terrified because these babies are so so tiny and naked...Squirrelie had fur and a tail and ears...she just had her eyes closed for the first two weeks that I had her. I just spotted her in our front tree a few moments ago chasing birds out of her tree, but she is going to get very persistant about coming into the house shortly for her dinner and warm bed. She is usually asleep by 8 0'clock and wakes up late at night for a snack and a belly rub from me around midnight when I am the only one still up. lol

No...they are very small and naked and pink. They fell out of a tree when tree-cutters cut it down this afternoon> But that is how Squirrelie looked last year when I got her.

CritterMom
10-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Can you move them into a bathroom or other room where you (spoiled) girl can't go? They should be warm and quiet and mostly dark anyway.

Do you have a camera so you can put up pics?

virgo062
10-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Just put the babies in another room until little miss squirrelie get's comfortable. As Crittermom suggested I would give them Pedialyte until they are hydrated. When mine were pinks (which was last week) I fed them every 3 hours. They really look intimidating but are quite easy to handle. As long as you keep them very warm, feed them very slowly and make sure they potty after each meal you should be fine. Until 3am hits LOL...A heating pad is best because it keeps their body temperture regulated...Make sure it does not have the automatic shutoff.

Nancy in New York
10-18-2010, 06:15 PM
LOL Yes, they are definately squirrels. I did A LOT of research here on your site a year ago and on some other sites. So I have some knowledge of how important it is to keep them stable and warm. But I thought they needed to eat every 4 hours. That's how I did Squirrelie when I got her. But here is the problem...I am terrified because these babies are so so tiny and naked...Squirrelie had fur and a tail and ears...she just had her eyes closed for the first two weeks that I had her. I just spotted her in our front tree a few moments ago chasing birds out of her tree, but she is going to get very persistant about coming into the house shortly for her dinner and warm bed. She is usually asleep by 8 0'clock and wakes up late at night for a snack and a belly rub from me around midnight when I am the only one still up. lol

No...they are very small and naked and pink. They fell out of a tree when tree-cutters cut it down this afternoon

Do they look like these? The first picture on the yellow is about a week old, and the second one about 12 days old...If they look like this they need to be fed every 2 1/2 hours round the clock...:tilt So you know to feed them in an upright position...and just go really slow...that is key. Try to wrap them in a piece of fleece too while feeding...I hope we can find somebody to take these little buggers for you...:grouphug

virgo062
10-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Gosh I hope they are bigger than that first picture:rotfl Good Luck give them kisses and warm hugs...Gotta run feeding time here:thumbsup

AlabamaRehabber
10-18-2010, 08:41 PM
I am not too far from Hazel Green. If you can get the babies to me-I can take them in. My Spring babies l release in the Fall and my Fall babies I winter over in the house and release in the Spring. My home phone is 256-723-7890 and cell is 256-990-8316. Call me anytime-even if it's 2 a.m. sometimes these guys cannot wait until in the morning. My email is TobieOne@nehp.net
I tried to call but didn't get an answer.

virgo062
10-18-2010, 08:45 PM
I am not too far from Hazel Green. If you can get the babies to me-I can take them in. My Spring babies l release in the Fall and my Fall babies I winter over in the house and release in the Spring. My home phone is 256-723-7890 and cell is 256-990-8316. Call me anytime-even if it's 2 a.m. sometimes these guys cannot wait until in the morning. My email is TobieOne@nehp.net
:jump :jump :jump :jump

CritterMom
10-19-2010, 03:07 AM

I told you in my email that all your contact info was at work - well I have it now, so look out! Thank you so much. I got an email from AR and she will have the babies tonight... YAY!!! :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

Kristal
10-19-2010, 03:27 AM
*claps happily*:thumbsup :thumbsup