PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Rehabber in Florida

Lanatwo
10-17-2010, 02:51 PM
I was wondering what I would need to do to become a rehabber in the state of Florida, and if being one enables you to get medications more easily. Wouldn't it be nice to have some Baytril in the fridge for those AB'S NOW! emergencies.

I'e learned a lot and I want to help more. I know the test is $85, and it can be found here: http://theiwrc.org/continuing-education/cwr/

What should I be studying? Is there a collective guide? Should I have a whole lot of experience before I take it? Is this the correct test? I really have no idea, am just starting to gather info. If anyone has advice, comments, etc please let me know. :) Thank you all!

mpetys
10-17-2010, 06:26 PM
I don't know anything about becoming a licensed rehabber but did go to the site you linked. That is the International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council; is there test the one that the State of Florida would require? Maybe some of the licensed rehabbers could clarify this for us as I am interested in getting more info as well.

Michele

jacey
10-17-2010, 07:00 PM
That particular test is very hard. I took it a couple of months ago after it became required by my state in order to continue to have a rehabilitation license. It has alot of bird and reptile questions which I do not rehab so I am limited there to what I know. There was only one or two questions on this whole 50 question test that pertained to mammals that I care for. The worst part of the test is the time limit of 1 hour. I did pass the exam but would not have without a few books that I studied from. The NWRA principles of rehabilitation was one, the NWRA minimum standards was another and the IWRC basic skills book from a class they give. Hope this helps.

Jackie in Tampa
10-19-2010, 11:38 AM
I think the address is FWC related...Florida Wildlife commision...
the test is free....it is given one a month in specific locations...I would have to take it in Lakeland if I wanted that license...not in Tampa.
Call The FWC and have them send you a packet...it will come with a study guide and instructions...I have studied it, it will be a breeze for you.
THere is alot of BIRD info though, yuck!
good luck lanatwo!
vets will see sqs in florida, no problem.
PS, I always have meds here...for emergencies.

Rescue04
03-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Hey Lana, if you need meds, let us know - I can get them from my vet now or our rehabber.

SquirrellyMom
05-09-2011, 01:36 PM
I am studying for my license and want to make sure I am studying the right things for the right test. The FWC test is the required Florida test right? Is there another test or other parts to the licensing other than the test? I have been rehabbing without it for so long but would love to have the license incase anything ever came up and so that I can start picking up from animal services. When I volunteered last summer they had a bunch of wildlife euthanized because they said they only give them to people with license and the people they knew were full..... Not sure if that is true or if they were just BSing me....:thinking

Jackie in Tampa
05-09-2011, 01:54 PM
my study pack says FLORIDA FISH & WILDLIFE CONSRVATION COMMISION
WILDLIFE REHABILITATION STUDY GUIDE

ADDRESS IS
620 SOUTH MERIDIAN STREET
TALLAHASSEE, FLA;
32399-1600

:bowdown

mpetys
05-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Call 850-488-6253 and you can request the study guide for the test. From what I understand, the test is about 150 questions on the general care of wildlife. Would be great if there is anyone that has taken the test recently that can share their experience.

Good Luck!

Rescue04
05-09-2011, 02:21 PM
i would love to know also. i really would love to get my own license. i am not going to quit on volunteering for my current rehabber....i just want to safely be able to take in animals on my own without worry. not that anyone seems to notice....i even have an animal contold officer bringing me animals now. lol

Jackie in Tampa
05-09-2011, 04:09 PM
michele, everyone says the same thing about the test...
most are bird questions...
not hard test...and free 100%

UDoWhat
05-09-2011, 04:24 PM
I don't know about FL specifically. Do check to see if the IWRC skills test is a specific requirement for the FL state test. (Or any others who are wondering about their own state requirements. When I was getting my license it was a requirement to take the IWRC test to become a licensed MD Master Wildlife Rehabilitator. At that time you had to do a week-end lab and classes. Labs included tubing birds and mammals, emergency stabilization, necropsy(basically opening up an amimal and identifying basic stuff, heart, lungs, kidneys, bladder)Not really a test just a lab on that part. Bandaging, giving IM and SubQ shots and subq-ing fluids. Reading a syringe etc. At the end of the weekend I took a test it was about 1 hour long. That was 10 years ago. Now it is on line and I think they have just eliminated the hands on labs. You just read and study the book and take the test. I had to go to the closest class that was offered in North Carolina. I live in MD. There were questions about the lab subjects on the test. Also questions about metebolic formulas for various species (placental mammals, non-placental mammals , passerines, non-passerines, reptiles) Basal rates for those I just listed and then Kcal/24hrs needed. Balancing calcium/phosphorus ratio and calculating drug doses and more. All can be done when you know the formulas used. BELIEVE ME if I can pass the test ANYONE can. If you study the book, Basic Wildlife Rehabiliatation by the IWRC the test is or was based on that book. Back then I did not have much experience other then the 200 hours of volunteering at a wildlife center. If they had had questions about cleaning cages I would not have had to syudy. As a volunteer that is mostly what you do. The test was not easy but it was not hard either. Again 10 years ago. I do know others who have taken as recently as 5 years ago, about the same info.

Good luck, Marty

Rescue04
05-09-2011, 06:21 PM
ugh...i dont think i can open up an animal. i refused to even do it in high school. i would get sick to my stomache just thinking about it. i was afraid i would pass out if i did the actual deed. needless to say i knew being a vet was out of the question for me.

UDoWhat
05-09-2011, 06:36 PM
ugh...i dont think i can open up an animal. i refused to even do it in high school. i would get sick to my stomache just thinking about it. i was afraid i would pass out if i did the actual deed. needless to say i knew being a vet was out of the question for me.
:rotfl I thought I was going to die laughing :rotfl Don't worry, I think it is all on line now. No labs. It really isn't so bad. Again, if I can do it anyone can.

Marty
(Still killing me:rotfl )

Jackie in Tampa
05-09-2011, 06:52 PM
just a test...nothing online...no labs...just a test...study that packet they send..it is held in lakeland once a month..{for this area}

Rescue04
05-09-2011, 08:06 PM
:rotfl I thought I was going to die laughing :rotfl Don't worry, I think it is all on line now. No labs. It really isn't so bad. Again, if I can do it anyone can.

Marty
(Still killing me:rotfl )

LMAO....well that is a good thing. glad i could amuse you...certainly brightened my day to find out i made someone laugh!! :)

Anne
05-09-2011, 08:25 PM
The Florida test is 100 questions, you will need to score at least an 80 to pass. Fish and Game will send you all the information needed. All the test questions are in the study guide. A lot of bird questions (I am not comfortable with birds!). Know your different bird types!!!!!! Actually the test really is mostly common sense- if you know enough to come in out of the rain-you should pass.
The study guide has included the math part of med dosing included (for us who must remove shoes to count past ten/eleven:jump ) Also good info for wildlife books,supplies.
If you really want the extra bonus superdopur (sp?)license get the book and study for the IWRC , it couldn't hurt, especially if it is on line now.:D

Rhapsody
05-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Wouldn't it be nice to have some Baytril in the fridge for those AB'S NOW! emergencies.You can purchase many pets medications from this website with out a Vet Rx (including Baytril) - its takes three to four weeks to receive most of the items so order in advance.

.... i have ordered from here

Rhapsody
05-10-2011, 12:34 AM
if you need meds, let us know - I can get them from my vet now or our rehabber.I only have two meds on hand atm (meds my squ needed) and really need to have all the basic medications in my FRIG with all the squirrels I am taking in...... could you PM me a list and price of what you can get me from what you would consider the basics and I will make arrangements with you for payment.

:thankyou

SquirrellyMom
05-10-2011, 01:36 PM
According to the application FWC directed me to I need a recommendation from a licensed rehabber. I have not worked with one other than for about 6 months 4 years ago. Is there anyone in my area or not far who would let me work with them?:poke PLEASE!!!

Jackie in Tampa
05-10-2011, 03:00 PM
According to the application FWC directed me to I need a recommendation from a licensed rehabber. I have not worked with one other than for about 6 months 4 years ago. Is there anyone in my area or not far who would let me work with them?:poke PLEASE!!!that's not so...get the study packet, take the test...and get on that list that will keep your phone ringing...oye!:rotfl
I am too small and really only have some basic sq knowledge...
I don't take in anything BUT sqs...coz that's what I love the mostest!:D
smooching sqs is my profession...I am really good at it!!!!:jump

well, it helps if you can take a bite without fearing the next one with sqs...I am not licensed or you could clean my cages!:poke :rotfl
I have vets and meds...In florida we are so lucky!:thumbsup

Rescue04
05-11-2011, 02:38 PM
that's not so...get the study packet, take the test...and get on that list that will keep your phone ringing...oye!:rotfl

well, it helps if you can take a bite without fearing the next one with sqs...I am not licensed or you could clean my cages!:poke :rotfl
it is really that easy to get a wildlife license in florida? dam...i might have to move on that!!! i really want my own license!!

mugzeezma
05-11-2011, 03:41 PM
it is really that easy to get a wildlife license in florida? dam...i might have to move on that!!! i really want my own license!!

One of the advantages to being licensed is that, at least where I live, I can pull out that piece of paper and request discounts. It's not much usually, somewhere between 10-50%, but every bit helps.
I am not above asking
Animal Control is supposedly sending a donation for the animals they send me too.
The other advantage is that you can apply for 501c3 tax exempt status...which oddly is expensive ~:/

Rescue04
05-11-2011, 03:54 PM
One of the advantages to being licensed is that, at least where I live, I can pull out that piece of paper and request discounts. It's not much usually, somewhere between 10-50%, but every bit helps.
I am not above asking
Animal Control is supposedly sending a donation for the animals they send me too.
The other advantage is that you can apply for 501c3 tax exempt status...which oddly is expensive ~:/
is there a number i can call to request the study material and get some dates and locations for the test?

Anne
05-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Just call your area's Fish and Game office. I think Jackie said it was in Lakeland. They will send you the study guide and all the information you will need. Once you think you are ready, call and make an appointment for the test. That's all you have to do.:D
When you get your license, fill out the paperwork to become a Florida Corporation (don't hire a lawyer, do it yourself) then apply for your 501(3) non-profit tax number (EIN=employer identification number). Your done!!!!:jump

Rescue04
05-12-2011, 05:31 AM
Just call your area's Fish and Game office. I think Jackie said it was in Lakeland. They will send you the study guide and all the information you will need. Once you think you are ready, call and make an appointment for the test. That's all you have to do.:D
When you get your license, fill out the paperwork to become a Florida Corporation (don't hire a lawyer, do it yourself) then apply for your 501(3) non-profit tax number (EIN=employer identification number). Your done!!!!:jump
very cool!!!

Jackie in Tampa
05-12-2011, 07:03 AM
mpetys posted the number already in this thread...:thumbsup

SquirrellyMom
05-12-2011, 08:46 AM
This is the link that I found and used. I have also called the number posted and my st5udy guide materials are on the way. I am hoping to head to Lakeland next month and take the test. My in laws actually own a landscaping company so I have all the paperwork in files for incorporation in florida. You can get all of your incorporation information on sunbiz.org for the state of Florida. It says it is less than 100 to file for a non profit incorporation and it appears that paperwork is all done online.

https://public.myfwc.com/CrossDOI/LPIS/LicenseDetails.aspx

http://www.sunbiz.org/index.html

Jackie in Tampa
05-12-2011, 08:47 AM
This is the link that I found and used. I have also called the number posted and my st5udy guide materials are on the way. I am hoping to head to Lakeland next month and take the test. My in laws actually own a landscaping company so I have all the paperwork in files for incorporation in florida. You can get all of your incorporation information on sunbiz.org for the state of Florida. It says it is less than 100 to file for a non profit incorporation and it appears that paperwork is all done online.

https://public.myfwc.com/CrossDOI/LPIS/LicenseDetails.aspx

http://www.sunbiz.org/index.html
yeah...you go girl:alright.gif

SquirrellyMom
05-13-2011, 01:39 PM
My husband says I got a big envelope at home so I am hoping it is my study info!!! I can start studying this weekend!!! I'll definately be ready for testing next month!!
Now I don't know if I want my name on that list... lol... jk... I am having baby squirrel withdrawal as most of mine are releasable!! Anyone need help? All I seem to get calls for anymore are oppossums....

stosh2010
05-13-2011, 02:45 PM
that's not so...get the study packet, take the test...and get on that list that will keep your phone ringing...oye!:rotfl

AMEN--living with squirrels involves scratches, small nips, and the occasional bite. But they are only doing what they would do to another squirrel--
" Hey you...back off" and 30 seconds later, they don't even remember they got you---
We should be honored they treat us as EQUALS...HA !

################################################## ###############

Stosh >>> keeper of Rama Rota ( the KING of Costa Rica )

Visit the KING at :

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27141&page=286