PDA

View Full Version : horse wormer paste dosage

kateg
10-16-2010, 04:40 PM
I gave my baby ivermectin horse wormer paste, the size of about half of a rice grain, by using the tip of a toothpick and spreading it over a pekan. The horse wormer paste is 1.87% ivermectin.
Should I do the same in a week time? How soon can I expect to see any change? :thankyou

PDXErik
10-16-2010, 06:15 PM
I gave my baby ivermectin horse wormer paste, the size of about half of a rice grain, by using the tip of a toothpick and spreading it over a pekan. The horse wormer paste is 1.87% ivermectin.
Should I do the same in a week time? How soon can I expect to see any change? :thankyou

Panacur (Fenbendazole) is safer. We use that for snakes, too.

Dosage is 50-100 mg/kg (for snakes, anyway, I would guess that it's similar for mammals).

It is very difficult to overdose with Panacur, and I mean VERY difficult. You could eat a tube of it and suffer no ill effects.

If you don't see any symptoms of poisoning, then you want to repeat that process again to kill off any hatched eggs. I don't know the span of time, though. For the snakes, it's around 2 weeks, but their digestive systems are pretty slow, so I don't know.

mugzeezma
10-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Panacur (Fenbendazole) is safer. We use that for snakes, too.

Dosage is 50-100 mg/kg (for snakes, anyway, I would guess that it's similar for mammals).

It is very difficult to overdose with Panacur, and I mean VERY difficult. You could eat a tube of it and suffer no ill effects.

If you don't see any symptoms of poisoning, then you want to repeat that process again to kill off any hatched eggs. I don't know the span of time, though. For the snakes, it's around 2 weeks, but their digestive systems are pretty slow, so I don't know.
Panacur doesn't cover all the bases in mammals. Ivermectin does but dosing can be tricky. Supposedly from what I have read you cannot go by mg/kg because rats require almost double the dose rate of a horse.
As far as I know...
For Coccidial and Giardia infections Albon and Panacur is the best bet.
Pyrantel pamoate/praziquantel works for hooks, rounds, whips and tapes.
Baylisascaris....you have to kill the host once the adults have migrated. Killing the adults will cause an immune reaction that will cause a horrific chain reaction response :shakehead
That stuff scares the daylights out of me.

PDXErik
10-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the education. Snake's worms tend to be more narrow (as in species) so the rules don't fully translate to mammals, I can see that.

Too bad Panacur doesn't do more, I love how safe it is to use.