PDA

View Full Version : Is this mange?

kateg
10-16-2010, 07:30 AM
My baby has a problem with her right ear - see pictures. It was very red and swollen for a few days and now it looks somewhat better but kind of erroded. Could this be mange? What can I do? She is a wild animal so I can not apply anything to the ear but could give her medication with her treats. Any ideas how to get meds in Canada?:thankyou

Jackie in Tampa
10-16-2010, 07:32 AM
It presents itself like mange does on the ear.
Is only one ear affected?
are the eyes affected?
If only THAT ear, I would guess something else...but not rule out mange.

Jackie in Tampa
10-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Ok..now I do see eyes are clean...hmmmm
other ear does have some crustys...maybe mange...
what do you have in the way of a vet or meds?

mugzeezma
10-16-2010, 09:58 AM
My baby has a problem with her right ear - see pictures. It was very red and swollen for a few days and now it looks somewhat better but kind of erroded. Could this be mange? What can I do? She is a wild animal so I can not apply anything to the ear but could give her medication with her treats. Any ideas how to get meds in Canada?:thankyou
Looks like mange to me.
She has it predominantly on the right ear and it looks like some involvement starting in the corner of the right eye. Her left ear is also affected. See if you can order some paste ivermectin for SMALL dogs or puppies online. A squirrel weighs approximately 1 pound. You would have to train her to come to you so you can give her a special treat.
Ivermectin is extremely potent so you DO NOT want to overdose her.

Ardilla
10-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Looks like mange.

kateg
10-16-2010, 11:58 AM
It presents itself like mange does on the ear.
Is only one ear affected?
are the eyes affected?
If only THAT ear, I would guess something else...but not rule out mange.
It looks like it is only the right ear. The left ear also looks a bit different tough... What else can it be? Should I just wait and see if she improves?

mugzeezma
10-16-2010, 12:02 PM
It looks like it is only the right ear. The left ear also looks a bit different tough... What else can it be? Should I just wait and see if she improves?
If it's mange it most likely won't. Her coat may become compromised over the winter
Do you have a dog?
If you are giving Heartguard that's Ivermectin

kateg
10-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Looks like mange to me.
She has it predominantly on the right ear and it looks like some involvement starting in the corner of the right eye. Her left ear is also affected. See if you can order some paste ivermectin for SMALL dogs or puppies online. A squirrel weighs approximately 1 pound. You would have to train her to come to you so you can give her a special treat.
Ivermectin is extremely potent so you DO NOT want to overdose her.
She comes every day for a treat so no problem with that. The problem is that I am in Canada and can not find any Canadian store that sells ivermectin online. I went to an animal clinic yesterday and they did not have it and were being difficult since she is not a 'patient' :(
Please let me know if anybody knows how I can buy ivermectin in Toronto :thankyou

mugzeezma
10-16-2010, 12:09 PM
She comes every day for a treat so no problem with that. The problem is that I am in Canada and can not find any Canadian store that sells ivermectin online. I went to an animal clinic yesterday and they did not have it and were being difficult since she is not a 'patient' :(
Please let me know if anybody knows how I can buy ivermectin in Toronto :thankyou
We can see if there are any members here in your area or that may at least have access to what you need.

kateg
10-16-2010, 12:20 PM
If it's mange it most likely won't. Her coat may become compromised over the winter
Do you have a dog?
If you are giving Heartguard that's Ivermectin

No dogs :( but thanks for the tip. Now I just need to find a vet who will sell it to me without having a dog. Can't understand why it is so difficult to get meds here... Also called the wildlife hospital and left a message, waiting for their call back now...

mugzeezma
10-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Tell them it's for your sister's mini schnauzer. You are keeping it for hr while she is fighting in Afghanistan. She lives in the US

kateg
10-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Tell them it's for your sister's mini schnauzer. You are keeping it for hr while she is fighting in Afghanistan. She lives in the US
Problem is they want to see the dog so they can confirm it is mange (i.e. so that they can charge me more, I guess). Anybody got a dog with mange that I can borrow for a few hours???...:D My baby is supposed to come for a treat in couple of hours and I am still pulling my hairs wondering how to get her meds... And I am not trying to get them for free!

mugzeezma
10-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Problem is they want to see the dog so they can confirm it is mange (i.e. so that they can charge me more, I guess). Anybody got a dog with mange that I can borrow for a few hours???...:D My baby is supposed to come for a treat in couple of hours and I am still pulling my hairs wondering how to get her meds... And I am not trying to get them for free!
Ask for Heartguard for heart worm.

Pierre
10-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Here are easy ways to get ivermectin paste, no vet needed: Go to a feed store [such as Agway's here in the states] and buy it in a tube for worming horses. Just ask for their wormers and make sure you buy ivermectin as there are other wormer products. If you can't find any feed stores [google for your area], you can order it from any horse supply catalog. You can order online and have it shipped overnight. I don't know about the shipping, but the medicine is generally ~$10. Dover's Saddlery is a great online company.

Once you get the tube, open it as per directions and squirt it out into a container with a lid. Make sure you stir it as a little liquid will be at the top of the tube that settled out and it needs to be mixed in [therefore don't just squeeze out a little off the top of the new tube--mix mix the whole contents first!]. This remainder of the tube can then be stored covered at room temp.

Dosing: For an adult rat, which are generally 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 lbs, and about the same as an adult squirrel, they only need an amount about the size of an uncooked grain of rice. Very little. Put it inside a treat and watch to make sure she eats it. One dose should be all that's necessary. We sometimes dose rats one more time one week later.

If a rehabber needs to tell us a different dosing for squirrels, please do.

Good luck!

kateg
10-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Here are easy ways to get ivermectin paste, no vet needed: Go to a feed store [such as Agway's here in the states] and buy it in a tube for worming horses. Just ask for their wormers and make sure you buy ivermectin as there are other wormer products. If you can't find any feed stores [google for your area], you can order it from any horse supply catalog. You can order online and have it shipped overnight. I don't know about the shipping, but the medicine is generally ~$10. Dover's Saddlery is a great online company.

Once you get the tube, open it as per directions and squirt it out into a container with a lid. Make sure you stir it as a little liquid will be at the top of the tube that settled out and it needs to be mixed in [therefore don't just squeeze out a little off the top of the new tube--mix mix the whole contents first!]. This remainder of the tube can then be stored covered at room temp.

Dosing: For an adult rat, which are generally 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 lbs, and about the same as an adult squirrel, they only need an amount about the size of an uncooked grain of rice. Very little. Put it inside a treat and watch to make sure she eats it. One dose should be all that's necessary. We sometimes dose rats one more time one week later.

If a rehabber needs to tell us a different dosing for squirrels, please do.

Good luck!

:thankyou so much for the great advice! It worked exactly as you said! I got the apple scented horse wormer (ivermectin), spread it over a large pekan and she did not even notice it! Eat it all and asked for more :) Good thing I gave her the med now because her ear looks worse this afternoon :( She must be scratching it like crazy and it could not even stay up. Hope the med will work fast. BTW I was given a humane trap by the wildlife hospital this morning to catch her and take her there for 2-3 weeks so that they could administer medications etc. I don't think she would have ever gotten into the trap (she is smarter than many humans :)), not to mention surviving the shock. I still have the trap but really hope the med will do the job!
Thank you all! So glad that there are other people that care about the little babies and can understand how very important this is :)