PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Squirrel Diet

Runestonez
10-12-2010, 06:07 PM
I am probably just being a worry-wart, but I am concerned about our squirrels diet.

We live in Ontario and it is getting colder.
I am worried that our 4 grey babies (14 weeks) are not eating the right foods to build up fat for the winter. We are over wintering them in our carport...so it will be cold but with no wind chill. So at the coldest minus 25-30 degrees.

Right now they are getting:
radishes and radish greens
Celery
Romaine lettuce
asparagus
snap peas
pomegranite
HH Blocks
dandelion
pumpkin
parsley
cilantro
brussel sprouts
broccoli
green beens
kale
cauliflower
maple keys
And then a walnut in shell for a treat.

They are healthy and well proportioned for their size and active too.
But should I be pushing different foods?
The wilds are getting fatter and I want to be sure I am preparing the kids to withstand the cold this winter.

gs1
10-12-2010, 09:01 PM
i give mine wholewheat bread too ... its not recommended for indoor squirrels but wilds can have it ... it's fattening....

avocado??? some squirrels love it ... none of mine do ... but they're all wilds...

:D

Runestonez
10-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Ours won't touch avocado...now mango...well that's a whole other story!:D
I was wondering if upping their nuts to veggies ratio would help?
Although that being the case the little stinkers would probably completely ignore the veg.
Too bad cheerios are just empty carbs...I could just hook up a cheerio IV for Webby! lol ;)

I am in the process of tricking out the carport to keep the temperature decent for the winter...but when I see the wilds and look at our kids...they seem so gangly and skinny. I want my fat babies back! :D

Feeze
10-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Just remember, your squirrels will get a hefty meal every day. The squirrels outside will last days without eating. This is why they are fattening up - because they must! If you are over-wintering your babies I wouldn't be too worried about fattening them up. Just be sure they don't lose weight, and keep plenty of fleece and papertowels to keep their nest(s) snuggly and warm. :thumbsup

Runestonez
10-13-2010, 01:33 PM
True!
Although I wouldn't really say our squirrels "eat"...it's more like take a bite and spit it over your shoulder, etc, etc...
I got mean this week and took away all their nuts since they refuse to eat any HHB or rodent blocks. So I caught Clivey chewing the nuts out of the HHB and tossing them over the side of the feeding platform.
I swear to god I have grey hairs from these four tree monkeys!

Feeze
10-13-2010, 04:34 PM
My wild squirrel friends do it too. Give them time. They'll figure it out. They're not going to starve themselves.:tilt

Runestonez
10-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Gordo is in a pissy mood today and he has softish poops...doesn't help he and his brother were rolling in them wrestling. <sigh>
I'll check again in the morning and see if he looks any better.
He is always a pissy face when he feels crappy AND I am being a mean hooman!