PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing off hair

Shaky
11-14-2006, 07:48 PM
I posted for help for a gray tree squirrel a while back and got some great info. Thanks for that.

Since then I have had to go back to work in another state from where we found our squirrel (I was home on a long vacation at the time). I have had to pass off her care to my mother and brother. She's apparently doing quite well under their care, which they have based on the info I got here. She's gaining plenty of weight, eating plenty of solid foods and starting to wean herself off the formula. She also apparently likes the outdoor pen I built before I left.

However, my mom says the squirrel has rubbed the hair off one side of her face. She thinks it's because she gets formula in the fur on her face when she feeds, then tries to rub it off. I have an idea what she's talking about, since that Esbilac is pretty sticky stuff. I also know from experience that she does NOT like to have her face wiped after eating.

Even so, I thought I should ask if this is a common problem or could be a sign of something else. I would hate to have her suffering some weird skin affliction while we just think she's a sloppy eater. My mom asked me if she should try to bathe her, but I don't think that's even possible (she has started nipping at people when they try to do something she doesn't like).

Any comments?

GhosTS
11-14-2006, 08:55 PM
This can be due to the formula in her face.It will make the fur stiff and when she clean her face those hairs will fall..If not this can be mange.Is the skin look scabby in the spot.

Gabe
11-15-2006, 07:16 AM
GhosTS, I go with number one. Pretty common when the formula gets into fur.

susanw
11-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Someone needs to wipe the milk off of her, even though she doesn't like it. She is going to hate a bath more than the face wipe. But if she is weaning herself off the formula, than it shouldn't be a problem for long.