PDA

View Full Version : Extremely low white blood cell count

lilidukes
10-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Ella's CBC came back after they retested it. Her white blood cell count is .8 normal is 5.5-11. This is the original thread about her problem http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24984

She is on Booster and Metacam. I'm so worried about my little girl. Does anyone know what we may be looking at? Dr Hurlbert went out of town yesterday afternoon and will be gone for a few days. She did reorder the blood work rechecked for the third time. Wants me to push the Booster.

Has anyone run across this before?

Kristal
10-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Seems like metacam is to counter inflammation. Given that you had her on ABs and this, too, I am guessing she was sick with some infected and traumatic injuries.

Here are some causes of low white blood cell count:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-white-blood-cell-count/MY00162/DSECTION=causes

I suppose that overwhelming bacterial infection would be the one that applies to you? Do any of those make sense for your situation?

And hmm, try to keep her warm and clean... White blood cells are the little warriors that munch on viruses, bacteria and other foreign agents. If she has so few, her immunity is compromised and she will be more likely to get sick if exposed to any bugs like that.

lilidukes
10-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Seems like metacam is to counter inflammation. Given that you had her on ABs and this, too, I am guessing she was sick with some infected and traumatic injuries.

Here are some causes of low white blood cell count:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-white-blood-cell-count/MY00162/DSECTION=causes

I suppose that overwhelming bacterial infection would be the one that applies to you? Do any of those make sense for your situation?

And hmm, try to keep her warm and clean... White blood cells are the little warriors that munch on viruses, bacteria and other foreign agents. If she has so few, her immunity is compromised and she will be more likely to get sick if exposed to any bugs like that.

We haven't been on any AB's. The toenail is still in question. Booster is a dietary supplement.

Kristal
10-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Is she on metacam for the enlarged toenail? I am confused...

I do see some web results that appear to make a connection between metacam and low white blood cell count in cats, but I don't know how reliable that information is. One says that it is not prescribed for prolonged use in cats (or should not be) because of the side effects. They said that the single injected dose is ok for cats, but not long term dosing. Since I see that corroborated elsewhere, it is likely true:
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5294535_metacam-used-cats.html

I am not meaning to be alarmist; it is possible to find practically anything on the web, and I did not do an exhaustive search. But it still may be something to consider. Was she on metacam for a very long time?

philomycus
10-07-2010, 09:49 PM
lilidukes- i sent you a pm. you can call me tonight up till midnigt or tommorrow anytime. lv msg if i dont answer

mugzeezma
10-07-2010, 10:21 PM
THe question I have is which came first the low white cell count or the foot issue.
Acute infections can cause WBC to drop and a drop in WBC can cause immunodeficiency that can pave the way for fungal, viral, or bacterial infections.
You have to think back and examine her behavior and diet along with pattern of how much she is defecating and urinating.
There are a lot of things that can cause a drop in WBCs.

lilidukes
10-07-2010, 10:41 PM
THe question I have is which came first the low white cell count or the foot issue.
Acute infections can cause WBC to drop and a drop in WBC can cause immunodeficiency that can pave the way for fungal, viral, or bacterial infections.
You have to think back and examine her behavior and diet along with pattern of how much she is defecating and urinating.
There are a lot of things that can cause a drop in WBCs.

The issue with the foot is what lead us to the vet. The CBC was done yesterday. Poops and pee seem to be normal. My vet wanted to wait for the results from the CBC before we did anything more. After speaking with philomycus I agree with her and it's time to try some AB's.

Kristal
10-08-2010, 05:56 AM
The issue with the foot is what lead us to the vet. The CBC was done yesterday. Poops and pee seem to be normal. My vet wanted to wait for the results from the CBC before we did anything more. After speaking with philomycus I agree with her and it's time to try some AB's.

Well, so long as you know what you are treating for....
Just a caveat, though: prescription drugs are only available by prescription because they are potentially dangerous. They may be dangerous if they are used improperly, have severe and common (enough) side effects to warrant professional supervision, dangerous interactions with other drugs or dangerous reactions in individuals within certain age groups, for example. It's like the thing with the metacam. Very likely most cats are fine with it, but enough have harmful reactions that it is not advised to vets that they prescribe it long term for cats. There are plenty of cat enthusiast on the web who are railing that off label prescriptions of metacam killed their cat. Just be very careful. Any open wounds such as the rawness cause by prolonged diarrhea from ABs use are not something you want to risk in an individual with a compromised immune system. If you are treating for a potential infection that would be severe enough to eat up all her white blood cells, there should be unmistakable signs - severe pain, fever, extreme fatigue, nausea, loss of appetite, etc.

lilidukes
10-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Well, so long as you know what you are treating for....
Just a caveat, though: prescription drugs are only available by prescription because they are potentially dangerous. They may be dangerous if they are used improperly, have severe and common (enough) side effects to warrant professional supervision, dangerous interactions with other drugs or dangerous reactions in individuals within certain age groups, for example. It's like the thing with the metacam. Very likely most cats are fine with it, but enough have harmful reactions that it is not advised to vets that they prescribe it long term for cats. There are plenty of cat enthusiast on the web who are railing that off label prescriptions of metacam killed their cat. Just be very careful. Any open wounds such as the rawness cause by prolonged diarrhea from ABs use are not something you want to risk in an individual with a compromised immune system. If you are treating for a potential infection that would be severe enough to eat up all her white blood cells, there should be unmistakable signs - severe pain, fever, extreme fatigue, nausea, loss of appetite, etc.

Kristal......Please read both threads again. Ella is under the care of a very reputable exotic veterinarian.( Dr Sue Ann Hurlbert Healthpoint Veterinary Clinic Duncan,SC) At this time Healthpoint has a room full of healthy beautiful baby squirrels that they are rehabbing. But as we all know there are very few official health related studies done on squirrels. That are for the health benefits OF the squirrels. Dr Hurlbert and I discuss whats wrong weigh the facts and make the decisions about Ella health care together.
This is all very odd because to look at Ella her weight is 470 her coat and tail are silky and shiny (thanks Leigh for HHB's). Is active as normal. Shows no signs of pain or swelling, no open wounds or sores. Had a little lethargy about 10 days ago. But since then has perked back up and spends all night in her nest again as usual.
Thank you for your research but the metacam (Ella's prescription is once a day for 7 days .05) is the least of my worries. My question is what causes an apparently happy, healthy, active squirrel to have a toenail disfiguration with no trauma? (looks to be starting on other nails) A low white blood cell count? I come to TBS on this issue asking if anyone has had an experience such as this. Dr Hurlbert has been on her computer too. This has her baffled also.

mugzeezma
10-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Kristal......Please read both threads again. Ella is under the care of a very reputable exotic veterinarian.( Dr Sue Ann Hurlbert Healthpoint Veterinary Clinic Duncan,SC) At this time Healthpoint has a room full of healthy beautiful baby squirrels that they are rehabbing. But as we all know there are very few official health related studies done on squirrels. That are for the health benefits OF the squirrels. Dr Hurlbert and I discuss whats wrong weigh the facts and make the decisions about Ella health care together.
This is all very odd because to look at Ella her weight is 470 her coat and tail are silky and shiny (thanks Leigh for HHB's). Is active as normal. Shows no signs of pain or swelling, no open wounds or sores. Had a little lethargy about 10 days ago. But since then has perked back up and spends all night in her nest again as usual.
Thank you for your research but the metacam (Ella's prescription is once a day for 7 days .05) is the least of my worries. My question is what causes an apparently happy, healthy, active squirrel to have a toenail disfiguration with no trauma? (looks to be starting on other nails) A low white blood cell count? I come to TBS on this issue asking if anyone has had an experience such as this. Dr Hurlbert has been on her computer too. This has her baffled too.

Hyperthyroidism?
A fungal infection introduced through the nail? I doubt that enough blood can be drawn from a squirrel for a blood CULTURE and that takes a couple of days.
Throwing out ideas here

lilidukes
10-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Thanks mugzeezma I'll check that out.

Kristal
10-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Do you mean the other thread about the toenail? Would you paste a link of the one you are talking about?

mugzeezma
10-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Do you mean the other thread about the toenail? Would you paste a link of the one you are talking about?

http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24984

Kristal
10-08-2010, 08:52 AM
So it seems like you started her on the metacam AFTER having the blood work done. I did ask about that earlier :/

Anyway, it is likely that a compromised immune system would make her more vulnerable to fungal infections, which is what most people seem to suspect. ABs don't help fungal infections, and even cause some. If she had a really horrible bacterial infection your vet could not have missed it given that she is as good as you say she is. I hope she has some ideas when she comes back into town. This is, indeed, worrying. I wonder if there is such a thing as squirrel viral leukemia like there is for cats? That would be like a worst case scenario and is probably very unlikely, but my first thought was "what is going on with the bone marrow?". I just didn't want to say anything as it is more likely to be drugs or infection... The other thing would be, I guess, a nasty viral infection, but given that your vet is experienced with squirrels, she would probably not have missed the signs of a common squirrel virus.

mpetys
10-08-2010, 02:45 PM
I come to TBS on this issue asking if anyone has had an experience such as this. Dr Hurlbert has been on her computer too. This has her baffled also.

I don't have any experience to offer but just wanted to let you know that I am hoping that you and your vet find answers and that everything is okay with Ella.

Hey, how cool is that to have a vet that has a room full of baby squirrels!

Michele in Tampa

lilidukes
10-08-2010, 03:41 PM
I don't have any experience to offer but just wanted to let you know that I am hoping that you and your vet find answers and that everything is okay with Ella.

Hey, how cool is that to have a vet that has a room full of baby squirrels!

Michele in Tampa

A vet with babies is the difference between legal and illegal states.:shakehead

mugzeezma
10-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Here is a link to swim through with your Vet

National Wildlife Health Center
http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/

lilidukes
10-08-2010, 05:14 PM
:thankyou

mugzeezma
10-08-2010, 05:18 PM
here's another
http://www.wildlifedisease.org/

lilidukes
10-08-2010, 05:19 PM
:thankyou :thankyou

mugzeezma
10-08-2010, 05:20 PM
here's another
http://www.wildlifedisease.org/

and another
http://www.wildlifeinformation.org/

mugzeezma
10-08-2010, 05:31 PM
and another
http://www.wildlifeinformation.org/

and another

http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/publications/field_manual/

lilidukes
10-08-2010, 06:31 PM
and another

http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/publications/field_manual/

I've been looking. Thanks Mugzeezma

mugzeezma
10-08-2010, 06:36 PM
I've been looking. Thanks Mugzeezma
just trying to do what I can to help
there isn't a lot on the net

Kristal
10-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Was your vet ever able to find out the cause of it? Pardon the perhaps unwelcome bump, please, but I am very interested to know what's happened, info-wise. It's worrisome, and perhaps there is something here that people can avoid to prevent a similar, sad situation for their squirrels.