PDA

View Full Version : Two Monsters

virgo062
10-05-2010, 08:50 AM
:devil We received two baby's Sunday night from ASG. I would guess they are 4-5 weeks old I really can't tell because the poor little devils are terrified and stay in their hammock. I did peek out the door this morning and saw them cautiously eating their veggies. Apparently these two have had a rough start being passed from person to person and Cheri said one had lost part of his/her tail probably from someone grabbing them:soapbox We have reached in a couple of times and petted them on the little head not really paying much attention to the fierce growling:rotfl Rick said this morning he almost picked one up...I will post a copy of the Hospital Bill when this happens. They are way to young to be vicious:dono We are working on them and hope to gain their trust enough to get some pictures. From what little I have seen their butt is really cute:Love_Icon I'm a little concerned because to me they look like they still should be on formula...I want to get some calcium in them

lizharrell1
10-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Are these baby squirrels or Tasmanian Devils?:thinking Baby greys don't even have their eyes open at that age usually. Are they 4-5 WEEKS or 4-5 MONTHS?????:thinking

virgo062
10-05-2010, 09:25 AM
See I told you I have not seen much of them.:rotfl Yes four to five months I have pinkys on the brain...Loss of sleep, You understand:poke Their tail is fully furred but they are so tiny and still have that baby face.

island rehabber
10-05-2010, 09:25 AM
virgo I've had babies like this and usually they warm up to you after awhile. However, there are always those exceptions. I think your guys are young enough to be won over....keep petting & cooing at them, but always wrap them in fleece before picking them up so they don't feel threatened. It's when you get them in like this at 8 weeks old that they never get used to you and it's an uphill battle until release day.

EDIT: just saw your post -- they are 4-5 MONTHS? 16-20 weeks old? Yikes, you'd better not try picking them up at all without welding gloves.

virgo062
10-05-2010, 09:35 AM
That's what I keep telling Rick...But he thinks he is the Squirrel whisperer:rotfl I will post a picture of the bite as soon as it happens. He thinks Knothead's bite hurts:rotfl :rotfl Poor baby's they are so scared..We are going to move them to a larger cage this weekend so wish us luck

Jackie in Tampa
10-05-2010, 09:56 AM
AWE...I LOVE ATTITUDES!:grouphug
course I wear bandaids often...:tilt
I can't believe you would sacrifice Rick for them!

I have a growler too wee... little thing lunges until I stick that syringe in her mouth...then it's all purrs!:Love_Icon

virgo062
10-05-2010, 11:05 AM
I can't believe you would sacrifice Rick for them!

Really????? :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

virgo062
10-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Well, Rick went in with the gloves and he was viciously attacked:rotfl

Big Dummy:poke We have decided to move the little angels outside to the big boy cage...They will have a nice warm place to sleep and the weather for the next month will be mild. They will be much happier out there. Poor little things it's hard to believe squirrels that have been raised by humans could be so mean. If the weather changes in the next month we will bring them back inside but as long as there are plenty of leaves and mild weather they will be fine...Lord help any of the other squirrels that cross their paths. i thought Knothead was mean but he can't hold a candle to these babies. Poor little things:Love_Icon

island rehabber
10-05-2010, 01:32 PM
virgo, in rehabbing circles, when squirrels their age are mean as sh*t it's a GOOD THING. Ready for the wild! Ready for prime time! Ready to decapitate your hubby! :rotfl
I've raised a few like that....gives me shudders to think about them. :D

alex39
10-05-2010, 05:39 PM
ahahaha this is funny I can't wait to see them !

virgo062
10-07-2010, 11:27 AM
ahahaha this is funny I can't wait to see them !

Well I doubt that will ever happen...Heck I would like to see them too. They are in the nest box and Rick keeps throwing the food down to them:osnap I told him they will never come out as long as they get breakfast in Bed.

WOW these two are quite the challenge. Atlanta Squirrels are a little different than Chattanooga Squirrels:rotfl :rotfl I knew you people were strange:rotfl I can say that because my sis lives in Atlanta and I have friends there:rotfl :rotfl

Cheri I have a male single friend in Atlant I think you will love:thumbsup :baghead :baghead

virgo062
10-13-2010, 02:42 PM
The plan was to release these babies this year so I put them in the outside release cage...Unless there is a drastic change I am over wintering them. Should I bring them back inside or will they be fine outside through the winter?

atlantasquirrelgirl
10-13-2010, 08:27 PM
The ones I set to you are around 11-12 weeks, and ready to go. There's really no need to overwinter them, and I would not leave them caged outside all winter. If you are going to leave them outside, may as well let them have their freedom.

I know you were concerned about one leaving and one staying behind. Put their nestbox in the cage and let them move into it. After another 2 weeks, cover the hole, and have Rick take it up a tree to hang it. After it's hung, take the cover off the hole.

That group will be just fine defending themselves.

virgo062
10-13-2010, 09:17 PM
That group will be just fine defending themselves.
No Doubt:chair

virgo062
10-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Well no release on the two monsters this weekend...

Operation easy Squirrel release
Plan A...Cover up the holes in the house and move said house with the squirrels inside up the tree....Mission Aborted

Apparently Rick does not know his own strength...The Squirrel House is there forever:dono

Plan B..........................Open the door

virgo062
10-26-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm glad I was not able to release the monsters this past weekend...Someone is looking out for them....

We are getting ready for a Storm that's being called the worst storm in U.S. history...We will not get the brunt of the storm but the wind here is already OMG terrible...good thing I don't care about my hair:rotfl

So you people in the eye of the storm hunker down and check in with us tomorrow so we know everyone is ok. Our Schools are already closing early today...of course we close at the drop of a hat in this area

keep a good eyeball out for babies I'm sure there will be some knocked out of trees:grouphug

mpetys
10-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Hey Virgo062,

I knew there was a bad storm hitting Chicago. How far north are you in GA. Is this storm going to affect Alabama any? I have family in the Talladega area. They didn't mention it to me but they don't always pay attention to things like that.

Stay safe!

Michele

virgo062
10-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Alabama will get hit pretty hard...Jackson County in Alabama always get's hit. We are close to Chattanooga...We are at the tail end of the Storm. I better tie Knothead up just in case:D

Fireweed
10-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Anyway we can see pics of The Monster' bums? :D

They sound awfully adorable. Do they have names? :dono

virgo062
10-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Anyway we can see pics of The Monster' bums? :D

They sound awfully adorable. Do they have names? :dono

There will be no pictures of these two monsters:rotfl They are wild and crazy squirrels:rotfl We can see them from a distance but as we get close the freak..I don't hink I've ever seen hand raised squirrels so wild before. Man they are mean little suckers.:rotfl

pappy1264
10-27-2010, 06:02 AM
You never met Pinkie, obviously!!! lol She was a brute!!!! Course, it amazes me she comes to visit, but yesterday, I was thinking, maybe I can pat her. The look she gave me BEFORE my hand even got close.....it froze my heart! lol So happy my four are the complete opposite of her....I don't know how I could do a whole winter of that!!!

virgo062
10-27-2010, 07:56 AM
I really do like it when they are wild and crazy it makes me feel they will make it just fine in the wild...I'm glad Pinky is still coming around even if it's with PMS

mugzeezma
10-27-2010, 08:41 AM
I really do like it when they are wild and crazy it makes me feel they will make it just fine in the wild...I'm glad Pinky is still coming around even if it's with PMS
I agree whole heartedly on this!
Ani is a terror. The second I open the door to the indoor cage she is out faster than greased lightening. She HATES being touched. Weaned early because of that. I literally let her run down the stairs to the door that lad outside to the case whereupon she jumps up onto my arm and rides my arm to the release cage (wrap my fingers around her shoulders just in case).
The door to the cage warped and left a 3/4" gap that she miraculously squeezed through the other day. When I went to offer lunch the little stinker was looking at me from the cedars! :shakehead . I grabbed a peanut from my pocket and she jumped on my shoulder and let me hold her... what a faker! If I had 4 more weeks of warmish she would be out the door. She is that independant.
Finnagin on the other hand is a bum and not yet weaned :shakehead

Your sentiment is very sound
wild and crazy makes me feel they will make it just fine in the wild.
Best to have them ornery and bitey and fast

virgo062
10-30-2010, 09:23 AM
:hissyfit Well today is the big day for the little devils...I am at work and having Rick do the dirty deed of opening the cage. My heart just can't handle it...Even if there are mean little turds and tried to kill me everytime I went to feed them I hate the release part...I saw them trying to build a nest in the cage yesterday so I am sure they are ready. Wish them well and a happy life of freedom not bound by wire:wave123

virgo062
10-30-2010, 01:43 PM
I can see the two monsters from my Sunroom and they are playing and having a ball:thumbsup The biggest one keeps going back to the nest box in the cage to rest but the other one has laid claim in the nest box just about 10 feet above the cage. I feel good:thumbsup

stosh2010
10-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Congratulations...They are Free & Happy...
Maybe NOW you can snap an action photo or two
************************************************** *****************************************
Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING ( of Costa Rica )

virgo062
10-30-2010, 02:49 PM
They look like this only bigger:rotfl

stosh2010
10-30-2010, 04:07 PM
virgo062 Wrote:
I can see the two monsters from my Sunroom

Ghostbusters -one of my All Time favorite Comedy Movies--had some great Evil Gods' names.Here are two for your OUTSIDE Deamons...Ha.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

virgo062
10-31-2010, 12:08 PM
:thumbsup

atlantasquirrelgirl
10-31-2010, 08:22 PM
Thank you, Virgo. So glad that they are out there, getting settled before all the leaves drop.

virgo062
11-01-2010, 05:25 PM
New released photos

squirrely pearly
11-01-2010, 08:06 PM
:jump they look happy as can be!! great job Virgo! how are the goobers doing? I bet they are so big now

Baxied
11-02-2010, 05:41 AM
Virgo, they look soooo good and happy in the trees. What a wonderful thing you did for them.:thumbsup

stosh2010
11-02-2010, 06:36 AM
Congrats on the release...They are LOVIN' LIFE...are three many other squirrels in the area?
************************************************** ***************************************

virgo062
11-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Stosh there are more squirrels at Jackie's than my house...We have 9 nesting/eating and drinking in my backyard. Yesterday Rick was watching out the Sunroom window and that darn Hawk came buzzing through the squirrel camp about 2 feet from the ground, circled the Bird Bath then landed in a tree:soapbox Rick went out and threw rock at him but you know them Hawks are so self centered he didn't even care:soapbox Hopefully they will learn the ropes and be able to outsmart that stupid hawk.

Squirrely the goobs are doing great but I swear they are the biggest Greys I have ever seen. They are starting to show their little personalities...Big Goob is going to be laid back and sweet, Little Goob is a climber and very vocal he is going to be a handful in a few months

Fireweed
11-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Gorgeous woods, virgo! I love the pic of the goober-nugget coming down the tree. And sweet little nest box!

Great job. They look comfy and happy out there. I bet they learn to outsmart the hawk...There seems to be lots of tree cover there, so that's good. Are there other birds around who warn of a hawk's approach?

virgo062
11-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi Fireweed...We are full of Crows that will warn everyone within a 30 mile radius and they chase him off if they get the chance..We do have a beautiful wooded area. In all about 100 acres. We are trying to populate the area one squirrel at a time. We really enjoy watching them:thumbsup. That stupid Hawk:soapbox I'm going to blast him with the water gun as soon as I get a chance.

squirrely pearly
11-02-2010, 03:42 PM
I havent saw a squirrel at my house for 2 days, then this morning I not only saw a fox jumping at one of the feeders, I also just saw a hawk dive through the trees after a bird. They have the squirrels scared to come eat.:shakehead
I guess I just need to go hang around outside more so the predators will go away! They sure are getting daring lately.

virgo062
11-03-2010, 07:58 PM
8 weeks old :) Little angels? Tonight I set Knothead in their box just to see what he thought of them...I had a good grip on him..And little G lunged at him and barked:rotfl Knothead didn't even know they were around:rotfl

stosh2010
11-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Wow... 8 weeks old... what a sweet time of their growth... Back then--- Rama Rota slept in my lap or my shirt pocket.
Those two beauties...YIKES... We need more PHOTOS
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

JLM27
11-03-2010, 10:38 PM
You let Knotty visit with them!!!121746

virgo062
11-04-2010, 03:04 PM
OMG that is so funny...Where did you get that.

JLM27
11-04-2010, 10:11 PM
At work. We Dilbert's have to have SOME excitement in our cubicles, dontcha know.

Jackie in Tampa
11-05-2010, 06:15 AM
:poke yeah, we need more pics!
I agree ...the woods are gorgeous...:thumbsup
I want woods
I want woods
I want woods
and more pics!:D