PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to get some opinions...

nutter+butters
10-04-2010, 08:45 PM
I have a female 7 week old Eastern Grey Squirrel, Nutters. We started with her in the intent to rehabilitate and release (my husband and I have previously worked with rabbits) but we have became attached to her and she has become attached to us, as well as our household pets. Do they really become aggressive after maturity? What can I do to make her happy in a household? I'm a very flexible mommy to my furry children and I just want to do what ever I can do to make her happy and healthy. Any feedback or tips would be greatly appreciated, just in the overall care of a household squirrel.:grouphug

Jackie in Tampa
10-04-2010, 08:52 PM
unfortunately we don't get to decide what she will do with her life...
the sqs decide...
no not all sqs get aggressive...
some stay sweet forever, but few.
To tell you the truth and I wish I could figure it out, but non releasable sqs usually remain sweet and want to be pets...they just know:dono
Since we cannot predict her choice, just love her everyday and enjoy her.
:Love_Icon

LMoS
11-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Just wondering how things are going... I had a female once that changed dramatically once she matured... she became very possessive of me, attacking anyone who got close to daddy, terrorized my exwife and spent most her time either in the nest or checking her food caches. All those cuddly affectionate moments evaporated completely. I noticed your fear of this and hope you've had better luck ;)

virgo062
11-25-2010, 08:00 PM
I would just treat her as releaseable....Then if she decides to stay with you:thumbsup...I have never had a healthy squirrel that didn't "wild up" even the babies I have now are showing signs of wanting out..it's going to be a loooong winter :(

RockyRocko
11-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Can't say it any better than Jackie did!!!!

It's not up to us!!!
If it were....... a lot more people would have pet squirrels!!!!:D

2ndHandRanchRescue
11-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Hi there. I'm a rehabber and yep, its up to the squirrel, seriously. I do about 20 per year. And once in a while - one decides to be a house squirrel and bonds to one of my 10 dogs. The dogs know the rules - squirrels are family. So they stay. I have some non releaseables - and they all know too. I am not here to hurt - they become tamer, but not pets. Currently its Ginger the Fox Squirrel, been here for years. Decided the bookcase nook was home, moved her bedding and stash there and sits on my chair every night as I work. Her choice. Best of luck.

RockyRocko
11-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Hi there. I'm a rehabber and yep, its up to the squirrel, seriously. I do about 20 per year. And once in a while - one decides to be a house squirrel and bonds to one of my 10 dogs. The dogs know the rules - squirrels are family. So they stay. I have some non releaseables - and they all know too. I am not here to hurt - they become tamer, but not pets. Currently its Ginger the Fox Squirrel, been here for years. Decided the bookcase nook was home, moved her bedding and stash there and sits on my chair every night as I work. Her choice. Best of luck.

It's so cool when they do stay......... my Roxy is "tame" and free. She lost sight in one eye and we had a couple other incidents where she was injured and came back to me for help. She has stayed in my yard and hardly ventures outside of it. She comes inside everyday, if I call her she comes to the window.

If the front door is open she walks right in and my dog knows the rules too!!
If the sq comes in the house, my dog will go to the bathroom where I can lock her in so they are separated!! I don't even have to do that anymore. My dog just knows that Roxy is part of the family................ I wish I could get her to move her nest back inside, but she doesn't like to be inside for long without an open window to go out if she pleases!!!

She'll get on my shoulder and walk around the yard as long as there are no other people. If anyone shows up, she's gone up the tree!! It's the best of both worlds!! I got to raise her and cuddle and release and she still comes to see me everyday.... she will cuddle once in awhile and it's like she was a baby again! She's raised 3 litters already and I am such a proud mama!!:jump