PDA

View Full Version : The beginning of the end

MrDuke03
10-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Spunky has been getting more and more restless lately, he has a good sized cage, but he keeps chewing on it and is always running up and down the walls.

Today a friend was over and opened up the door to give him a almond, and I guess she didn't get it latched, well about an hour later i found him up on the curtains.

I decided the time has come to move him outside.
I had her help me and his cage is now in the back yard under the awning.

I let the door open for a bit to let him explore. He mostly just stayed up on top, but eventually he got up the nerve to go and explore the back yard a bit.
As soon as he did he started to run and would jump up in the air randomly for no apparent reason. I guess he was just happy.

At one point he walked right up to my pit bull who was lying on the grass watching this and tried to crawl up on his back. The pit bull is a big wimp and just ran away.
Later on the terrier saw something else in the yard and started barking and running in Spunk's direction, and he immediately ran right up my pant legs and sat on my shoulder scolding the dog in angry squirrel sounds.

I'm going to keep the cage door closed and keep him in there for the most part, but I'm planning on slowly opening the door more and more often while im out there for him to explore more.

It's getting a bit colder tonight so I put a big blanket over the top of his cage so he wouldn't get too cold.

Here's lots of pics if anyone is interested

Pierre
10-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Spunky is one lucky squirrel! He grew from such an adorable little baby to a very handsome big squirrel. What a great job you've done! I hope he stays around your yard visiting you often for many years. Thx for the pictures.

:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

astra
10-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Nice photos!
Just one thing that came to my mind: outdoor cages must be especially secured on the bottom to protect against raccoons and other predators. They can dig and burrow well enough to dig right under the cage to get inside of it. They are also very adept at opening locks and chewing through things.

I don't remember all the construction details about securing and predator-proofing an outside cage, but i am sure they can be found either in Cages etc forum, or if you post a question (starting a new thread with a question might get faster response).

is he old enough to be released?... very often fall babies are overwintered.

Good luck

Nancy in New York
10-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Awe your little one is cute...:)
I was so taken aback to read that he goes up to your pit bull and tried to get on his back. This to me is alarming, he could easily try to do this with a neighbor's dog. Obviously he was raised around dogs, but when release time comes, that too becomes a huge problem...:shakehead If you are set on releasing this time of the year, perhaps you could get a nest box and put it in a tree for him...I do worry about him being too familiar with dogs though...not good.

astra
10-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Awe your little one is cute...:)
I was so taken aback to read that he goes up to your pit bull and tried to get on his back. This to me is alarming, he could easily try to do this with a neighbor's dog. Obviously he was raised around dogs, but when release time comes, that too becomes a huge problem...:shakehead If you are set on releasing this time of the year, perhaps you could get a nest box and put it in a tree for him...I do worry about him being too familiar with dogs though...not good.
:goodpost

Jackie in Tampa
10-04-2010, 05:13 AM
i hate to sound neg, but i agree..the dog thing is a sure death sentence :nono

:peace yes he is too young for release.
I will give you an idea though for when the time comes...
make a wee tiny door near the top of cage, just cut out a 3 x3 square and then make a 4 x 4 square and wire one side as if hinges. use this as his release door, leaving large door locked so no preditors can enter and trap him inside. the only thing that should fit thru door is him or another sq!

The release cage should be under a big tree where the sq activity is not too heavy. Adding a nestbox as high up the tree as possible on release day will give him options as to where he can sleep/live safely.
I would actually ask that a rehabber wild him out correctly where there are no dogs...I can almost predict his outcome at this time seeing he is not afraid of dogs...not good.:shakehead
I agree for daily outside time, leaving him in cage and under awning is best for now.
It's not your dog that worries me, however in my heart, all dogs worry me.
Most backyards have dogs and most dogs love to track and chase sqs...this never ends well!:shakehead

He is precious, please don't hate me...:peace
I have seen some bad incidents when dogs get sqs...I have an injured here right now, dog caught, probably not going to make it, belly punctures.
I also have an NR due toi dog attack...she healed but refuses to be re-released...
Please make careful decisions...hoping someone else can give their thoughts with a more sugar coated response...:tilt

something positive...he is adorable:jump

MrDuke03
10-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah, the dog thing weighs heavily in my mind as well. It's strange because I have 3 dogs and he only seems comfortable around the pit bull, maybe because he is the calmest. He steers clear of the other dogs and refuses to come out or down when they are around.
I'm not sure if there is a way I can get him uncomfortable around them, such as letting him out and then playing with them, somehow encouraging him to steer clear of them.

I have been leaving the cage door open for a little while when I'm outside and I can watch him. There are a few sunflower seeds that have fallen to the ground and he will scurry over to grab them and then run over to me and climb up to my shoulder to eat them, and then when he builds back up the confidence he will go back for another few.

This is my first time with all this, and I'm doing the best I can. Thanks for all the advice, without you guys he probably wouldn't have gotten this far. I take no offense to constructive criticism.

*Jackie, do you know of any rehabbers in the southwest Missouri area? I hate to think of giving him up to someone else and never see him around in the back yard, but it would hurt even worse if he made it this far and then one of my pups takes him out.*

mugzeezma
10-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Yeah, the dog thing weighs heavily in my mind as well. It's strange because I have 3 dogs and he only seems comfortable around the pit bull, maybe because he is the calmest. He steers clear of the other dogs and refuses to come out or down when they are around.
I'm not sure if there is a way I can get him uncomfortable around them, such as letting him out and then playing with them, somehow encouraging him to steer clear of them.

I have been leaving the cage door open for a little while when I'm outside and I can watch him. There are a few sunflower seeds that have fallen to the ground and he will scurry over to grab them and then run over to me and climb up to my shoulder to eat them, and then when he builds back up the confidence he will go back for another few.

This is my first time with all this, and I'm doing the best I can. Thanks for all the advice, without you guys he probably wouldn't have gotten this far. I take no offense to constructive criticism.

*Jackie, do you know of any rehabbers in the southwest Missouri area? I hate to think of giving him up to someone else and never see him around in the back yard, but it would hurt even worse if he made it this far and then one of my pups takes him out.*
Natures Gift is out that way ...more midstate ... she is incredible!

Busysqrl
10-09-2010, 10:33 AM
I agree with all that's been said. If he's going to be released, he shouldn't be comfortable around dogs. He is an ADORABLE little thing, I love that picture on top of his cage with his head cocked and looking at you, SO cute!!!:grouphug