PDA

View Full Version : untimely death

dougb
09-29-2010, 05:51 AM
My wife had a freind at work that found a a black squirrel. I offered to take him in as I have raised several successful to release. They attempted to raise it. So I gave them a copy of baby squirrel rehab info. It fit in the palm of the hand. Eyes open eating mostly hard foods. It was taking little formula if any. Maybe 7-8 weeks or so ? They said he was acting normal. playing running jumping. At approx. 10 weeks they said one night he started squeeling on and off then passed away. I know this is vague info but does anyone have an idea what would cause this ?
Thanks, Doug

pappy1264
09-30-2010, 07:33 AM
I am sorry for the loss. The squealing was possibly from pain, but too hard to know for sure w/o symptoms of any kind what was going on. Even with a necropsy you may not have gotten an answer. RIP little one.

CritterMom
09-30-2010, 10:58 AM
My wife had a freind at work that found a a black squirrel. I offered to take him in as I have raised several successful to release. They attempted to raise it. So I gave them a copy of baby squirrel rehab info. It fit in the palm of the hand. Eyes open eating mostly hard foods. It was taking little formula if any. Maybe 7-8 weeks or so ? They said he was acting normal. playing running jumping. At approx. 10 weeks they said one night he started squeeling on and off then passed away. I know this is vague info but does anyone have an idea what would cause this ?
Thanks, Doug

Doug, if he has been without formula since he was 7 weeks old, I would bet that was the reason. As you probably know, the risk of metabolic bone disease is enormous when the squirrel is not getting the calcium and magnesium it needs, which are supplied at that age by the formula. It will strike then even faster than an adult squirrel on a deficient diet because the bones are actually growing at that age, and if they are growing yet do not have the nutrients to do so, they will leach them from those bones. This is why we beg people to feed formula as long as they possibly can. My squirrel was still getting formula when he was 22 weeks old!

If they or you wind up with another, please participate here so the folks on the board can help you. 7 weeks - even 10 weeks is way, way too young to be off formula.