PDA

View Full Version : Help needed ASAP, weird sounds & lethargic

Galena
11-13-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm late for class and I have to leave now but I will be back in two hours.

The sounds started about twenty minutes ago and when I looked in on them it was coming from the a girl just laying down and emitting this squaking every ten seconds or so. it got weaker and as of now has stopped. I looked a away for a bit and unless she moved another one was doing it to.

Video:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v627/Chymowska/?action=view&current=MVI_1166.flv

the squirrel in the video is the one making the noise

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Ok sounds to me like pneumonia you need to get antibiotics NOW!!!!
Squirrels pass quickly with it! Dont wait!! Forget school! They get lethargic cause they arent getting oxygen!! Baytrill is one antibiotic thats recomended.
PLease move this to life threatening this is nothing to fool around with!!!!

halo
11-13-2006, 02:38 PM
Oh my! That is bad! Poor thing. Yup, time for antibiotics. Baytril... yup its good!

Good luck!

~halo~

muffinsquirrel
11-13-2006, 03:03 PM
As to whether or not the squirrel has pneumonia, I couldn't say. But the noise is a call that they make frequently. I hear it from both my indoor greys and the outdoor ones. Often the outdoor ones will talk back and forth for long periods of time. I was quite shocked when I realized that it was the squirrels making the sound - I had thought it was some sort of bird or something. Perhaps the weather there has something to do with her being lethargic, or the time of day. But don't panic over the noise - it's very normal, and now that you've heard it, you will probably find yourself noticing it from the wild ones when you are outside.

muffinsquirrel

Squerly
11-13-2006, 03:23 PM
I agree with Muffin. If it is the sound that I suspect it is, it's a warning call that they make when frightened by something. The outside squirrels do it all the time.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-13-2006, 03:27 PM
OMG sorry if that squeeling sound in the video is what you are talking about mine do that all the time. (didnt see the link sorry)
If a cat is near, hawk ect...I was thinking a clicking sound which would have been sickness.
Do you put your squirrels out everyday for sunlight?
Or have a full spectrum light for them?

Mrs. Jack
11-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Little boy used to make that sound from his tree outside my bedroom window if I should dare think I could lie down for a moment.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-13-2006, 03:44 PM
I only wondered about the light because of the lethargic part,
MJ well if LB can be remembered for thing it was keeping his mama on her toes!!

Galena
11-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Okay, I got back as soon as I could. Thank you for all the replies although the first couple freaked me out grand style. They all seem to be fine now, wandering around and everything.

I'm guessing the lethargy was just a nap time.
Glad to hear it’s a normal sound, it’s just combined with none of the really moving around it was quite alarming.

No they’re not getting sunlight. They’re in my closet [facing a window] with a wire door.
They have a special “daylight” bulb but I don’t think it’s full spectrum. I’m working on getting one of those. They are getting dolomite and natural sources of vitamin D in their diet though.

Mrs. Jack
11-13-2006, 04:16 PM
ha, yeah he did, cause I'd fall for it and go out every single time.

Galena, the wilds here are most active morning and late afternoon with the shorter days coming on.. that coupled with them getting diffuse window light, could be their internal clocks are adjusting..

rygel1hardt
11-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Dont panic that is an alarm call. Mine have even done it in their sleep while dreaming. They sometimes get stuck in alarm mode and will do it for ten minutes or more. Stacey

I'm late for class and I have to leave now but I will be back in two hours.

The sounds started about twenty minutes ago and when I looked in on them it was coming from the a girl just laying down and emitting this squaking every ten seconds or so. it got weaker and as of now has stopped. I looked a away for a bit and unless she moved another one was doing it to.

Video:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v627/Chymowska/?action=view&current=MVI_1166.flv

the squirrel in the video is the one making the noise

halo
11-14-2006, 10:48 PM
WOW! I sure learned something, I have been doing this for over 7 years and have never heard that call before. It might be because mine are all released while younger. I would of freaked had I heard one of my babies doing that. :D

Did u know that u can get full spectrum lightbulbs from Chris' Squirrels?
They are GREAT!

~Halo~

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-15-2006, 05:54 AM
Mine did it one time Preston was about 8 weeks old, while I had them on the deck.. I brought their cage back in, went back outside & hawks were all around. Hows that for radar?

Mrs. Jack
11-15-2006, 06:06 AM
Maybe they were napping and the squirrel had some sort of bad dream. Or maybe they saw a bug.. my cat freaks out when he sees a bug "MOOOOMMM BUGGGG GET IT". being indoor only all his life, he's sort of a big coward :D

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-15-2006, 06:24 AM
:D Mrs J thats is funny I have a cat who is also afraid of bugs.

Gabe
11-15-2006, 07:07 AM
It's their alarm call. Squirrels in rehab are not released from their pre-release cage until they are familiar with that call. If they do not know it and respond immediately to it they will be the last one standing when that hawk swoops in.

Secret Squirrel
11-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Alarm call is right!!!
The last 4 kidz I released all learned how to "talk" the same day!! It was a chain reaction.....barking.....tails flicking like mad.....alarming all at the same time. I had to laugh....it was cute and...... oh yeah LOUD too !!!!!
My cats were freakin out....bunch of scaredy cats!!! :tilt

island rehabber
11-15-2006, 09:07 AM
Alarm call is right!!!
The last 4 kidz I released all learned how to "talk" the same day!! It was a chain reaction.....barking.....tails flicking like mad.....alarming all at the same time. I had to laugh....it was cute and...... oh yeah LOUD too !!!!!
My cats were freakin out....bunch of scaredy cats!!! :tilt

One of mine was doing that for what seemed like an hour one day.....finally, I stuck a raw almond in his mouth and he kept "alarming" anyway. He went from "Nuk! Nuk! Nerrrrrr!!" to something like "Nff! Nff! ghjklst!!!!"
:jump

halo
11-15-2006, 09:35 AM
LOL!

That will shut em up!

I have heard the distress call, mostly when they are outside in my prerelease cage, but I have never heard what was on that video. I prolly would of panicked and ran to the medicene cabinet for antibiotics hehe

Halo

Mrs. Jack
11-15-2006, 09:52 AM
When mine make the nuk nuk nuk quaaaaaa sound of distress, usually everyone chimes in up and down the line, and I go a-cat huntin'. When I've heard this call, it's been a single squirrel, Little boy up to roust me, Teddy made it in a tree never did know why but he succeeded in luring me under and up and then dropped a load of pine needles all over me, Zag made it up in the cedar after the other Teddy beat her up.. This call sounds very sad to me..

Momma Squirrel
11-15-2006, 11:01 AM
It is a very sad, pitiful, and lonely sound. I always go out and talk to mine, I know the neighbors if they hear me think I am nuts, oh well it calms them down and if there is anything out there than I scare it away.

Mrs. Jack
11-15-2006, 01:55 PM
It is a very sad, pitiful, and lonely sound. I always go out and talk to mine, I know the neighbors if they hear me think I am nuts, oh well it calms them down and if there is anything out there than I scare it away.

Yup, I've been across the street talking to my neighbors tree (mrs. Jack really) because she's made that sound. Luckily my neighbor already thought I was nuts :D

Gabe
11-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Yup, you're right, Mrs. Jack, I go a cat-hunting too, and sure enough, there is a poor innocent kitty sleeping, oblivious to the distress it is causing.